War of the Cross

The place for everything else.

War of the Cross

Postby salamanca » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:43 pm

So, John Wick and company just launched the kickstarter on the new BOARD GAME that was promised in the "wow, we ran out of stretch goal ideas" from the 2nd ed. release.

http://kck.st/2rzmNoZ

So if you are into board games, particulalry games like Diplomacy, Risk and other Conquer your enemies and use your friends to defeat themselves games, you should go take a look.

Warning: It is going to run you $100 if you want a copy.

Endorsement: I took a good long look at it at Origins and had him walk through a full round of play and I think it looks really good from a mechanical aspect.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: War of the Cross

Postby Lord_Nabu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:12 am

I've backed it so far, even though it costs me an additional 40$ in P&P making REALLY steep. I'm still on the fence though, by now, i'm getting to the point where Wick has gotten far too much of my money for things I haven't really been satisfied with tbh.
That being said, he's got a proper game designer to do the rules this time, that should help.
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:14 am

Yea, $100 is too rich for my blood when it's probably a game that won't get a whole lot of play around here.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Eyeheartawk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:22 am

$100 plus shipping for a diplomacy variant?

No thanks.

Also, the funding hasn't exactly exploded, shall we say, so I think most people are thinking along the same lines. Honestly, looking at this it doesn't do anything that the FFG GoT board game doesn't already do. The smart play here I think, is to see if this does get funded, wait for it to hit retail and buy it for half that price online.
This is what happens when you mess with a stranger in the Alps.
Eyeheartawk

Postby daundelyon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:40 pm

"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:35 pm

While it would benefit to have all of that (and the game totally ready to go when the project starts), part of me sees this as really high expectations from the gaming community in that they cannot conceive of a project having merit unless they have been handed every bit of material handed to them I'm advance for free.

And next time around this same crew will cry about how JWP bailed on the project once already because there is no pleasing them.

The rest of me is glad someone outside the circle will be seeing this and playtesting it.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Eyeheartawk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:08 am

Honestly, it read to me like JWP pulling a mulligan as the funding wasn't spectacular.

It's probably a combination of things. Likely, the high price point, lack of compelling reward tiers, the type of board game it is (not a ton of Diplomacy variants out there) and to some degree the controversial nature of the result of their last KS.
This is what happens when you mess with a stranger in the Alps.
Eyeheartawk

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:53 am

Eyeheartawk wrote:It's probably a combination of things. Likely, the high price point, lack of compelling reward tiers, the type of board game it is (not a ton of Diplomacy variants out there) and to some degree the controversial nature of the result of their last KS.

And let us not forget the fact that 7th Sea 2nd Ed. PART II (Definitely Not L5R) is gearing up too!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Mundane Matters