So, Ole Miss...

The place for everything else.

So, Ole Miss...

Postby salamanca » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:49 pm

I was going to post this on RPG.net off topic but it will just turn into a thread of racism rants there. So I shall share with you.

Ole Miss University (located in Oxford, Mississippi) appears to be introducing a new mascot.

The team will still be known as "The Rebels" so the only change is the guy in costume on the side with the cheerleaders and the character that will probably be on the shirts. (Keeping the Rebel name is what I suspect would have lead to an angry storm elsewhere on the net)

Now, Ole Miss is a bit progressive. They did, to their credit, retire the original mascot Col. Reb back around 2005. They replaced him with a bear.

Now, a Bear seems like a great mascot. Strong, fierce, tough, a survivor. And easy to make a cute logo out of. But Rebel the Bear is out. Cast aside after about a decade of service.

Now, the students have selected the "Landshark". (Serious reason is that it ties to some actual former players one of whom passed away but who cares about serious reasons). Has no ome told these students that a Landshark is really "just a dolphin". As soon as you allow a Landshark on campus every knock on the door holds the danger of being eaten.

Somebody send Dan Ackroyd down to Oxford and set these kids straight.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: So, Ole Miss...

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Ah Dave - your posts often deliver a much needed chuckle! :D
CaitlinCallahan

Re: So, Ole Miss...

Postby spizio » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Plus think of how fat the players will get off of all of the candy-grams.
spizio

Return to Mundane Matters