So, speaking of Origins...

The place for everything else.

So, speaking of Origins...

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Got an email today saying they have a new app to help out. Thought I'd check it out (because, hey, why not). So I go to the App Store on my phone and search "Origins Game Fair 2018" (which is the exact wording they used in the email to find it) and guess what? Go on, just guess? Did you guess "No Results for Origins Game Fair 2018" if you did, YOU WIN!!!

UPDATE: Went over to the Unofficial Origins Facebook Page (where I get most of my info about Origins) and they said, instead search for "Origins 2018" Turns out that works just fine.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: So, speaking of Origins...

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:13 pm

So, I downloaded the app, and have been waiting (while watching the circle spin round and round) for at least three minutes for it to accept my login....does not bode well.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Got it up and running. It works just fine if you're a player (albeit a player who doesn't need maps other than the dealers hall). But GMs will find it decidedly lacking in amenities we might need. PLUS there's no search function for events.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:23 pm

You have to get a code out of your email to make it not spin forever.

Also, it has terrible search functionality. It makes you wait while it searches after every letter you put in.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:02 pm

So why do we need our phone to tell us where our game is?

Is it too hard to navigate by sight now?

Then again, my confirmation sheet still has no barcode or number code to enter onsite to get my badge.

That might be an issue if half the registration team wasn't participating in Paranoia. I'm certain we will figure it out. (Or if I had event tickets to worry about)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 am

Yep, i tried out the app and it feels basically worthless. I mean i guess if i needed to remember what i was doing at the con and didn't have my tickets on me? maybe? just..... worthless
smafdi

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 pm

So, I got in to the app, and have to say I agree. Not sure what value it adds, except for maybe the map of the exhibit hall (which, honestly, I don't believe I'll use - I usually just wander the hall).
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Ok, for us seasoned vets...nothing doing. But is it at all useful for a new attendee?

And is it going to buzz all weekend to alert us to seminars we are not planning to attend?
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 pm

salamanca wrote:Ok, for us seasoned vets...nothing doing. But is it at all useful for a new attendee?

And is it going to buzz all weekend to alert us to seminars we are not planning to attend?

Possibly - especially if they're looking for events that they're planning on using generics (since the "My Schedule" only reflects games/seminars for which you've already purchased tickets).

As to the buzzing - good lord, I hope not!
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:18 pm

New attendees was who I was aiming my comments about. It does not have a search function for events so you cannot find anything new you might want to play (if say you had a couple of free hours). There are no maps so if you don't already know your way around, you're SOL (that is unless you want, as Deb mentioned, to know the layout of the Exhibitor's hall, and even then, it doesn't link individual exhibitors with the map, so you're going to have to figure out where you want to go).

It does, however, have an entire tab dedicated to the sponsors...

Ok I spoke too soon, it DOES have a search function for events. So you can find things even if you haven't already signed up for them. And as a bonus it's telling me that we have room listings now WOO! I shall go make adjustments on the Origins thread.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 pm

So now more complaints. The search function works only 1-2 letters at a time, so you must wait until it updates with your typing. You can avoid this by typing the word elsewhere and then cut/paste into search function. More bad news, I cannot seem to locate MegaParanoia. I will call GAMA now and see if we can suss this out.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Crisis averted. They just didn't use "Megaparanoia" in the description. If you type "Sccob" when you're on the Saturday tab, it'll show up.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:06 pm

wait.... what??? how does sccob even make any sense?
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:12 pm

smafdi wrote:wait.... what??? how does sccob even make any sense?

Name of the event is Sccob-Y-DOO, Where are You?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Which means half the regulars will not have found it.

Next year's description will just be the wrd MegaParanoia repeated endpessly.
salamanca

Return to Mundane Matters