Chronicles of the Self Isolated

The place for everything else.

Re: Chronicles of the Self Isolated

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 am

Articles are showing up this week about Tuscan Wine Windows being back in use during the pandemic.

1-why have renn faires not been employing these pretty little things for years of food service?

2- this proves nobody has a new idea.

3- i want one. (The window, not the wine)

4- are they all walking level or are some at horseback level. Because i want Dark Ages drive-thrus.

5- the literal yranspation is "window for wine" which sounds like a dandy name for a carryout shop.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:55 am

I live near a drive-thru liquor store. It has somehow become a gym for Pokemon Go.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 pm

salamanca wrote:Best excuse to not meet a President and touring a factory on the market. I would probably consider the virus a better option than touring a factory in Clyde, Ohio.

I would tell him to "get well soon" but in this case,, it is safer to follow the protocols and get well in 14 days.

Given he just re-tested negative, I wonder if it wasn't a ploy to stay the hell away from TRump without offending his base.

So on to other pandemic news, our numbers have been going up so our governor finally put the kibosh on our reopening plans (indefinitely no less). Bout time if you ask me.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:21 pm

Ohio's Governor had 2 different test types.

The one they issued that went positive has a faster result turn around but a higher chance for false positives. And, in my opinion, that is a benefit to a test you are administering to people coming in contact with a world leader. It may keep some healthy people away but that is preferable to missing a contagious person.

The second test normally has a slower turn around (unless you take it AT the location they run these and it gets expidited because you ARE the Governor. And it is a better general test.

But big props to the Gov. for still opting to work from a home isolation/quarantine just in case.

As for Massachusetts, i know your Gov. just reduced group gatherings by half... Mark, have you decided which child has to go live in the garage yet? And did you tell them? Because that is a chance at entertainment.

Lastly...Sturgis... what the Hell's Angels people? 250,000? In a couple weeks everywhere is gonna surge.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:38 pm

salamanca wrote:As for Massachusetts, i know your Gov. just reduced group gatherings by half... Mark, have you decided which child has to go live in the garage yet? And did you tell them? Because that is a chance at entertainment.

Yea I WISH. They already figured out the "half" applies to groups of 100 going down to 50 (which as far as I'm concerned will make absolutely no difference).

salamanca wrote:Lastly...Sturgis... what the Hell's Angels people? 250,000? In a couple weeks everywhere is gonna surge.

I put a little reminder on my calendar to check for surges two weeks from today.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Groups of 50? Yeah, less than useful. It should be 10.

We got restaurant/bars offering live shows now... terrible plan.

The village north of me has had live shows in the park all summer. Folks are keeping distance but the choice of performers... Elvis impersonators, accordion country acts, it is a terrible decision.

But I am betting if you tell the kids someone has t move to the garage, Scott may volunteer s an adventure.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:45 am

Connie just posted the Ohio Ren Fest cancelled. Is that the one you’re in Dave?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:22 pm

31 people came to the show last night (our sell-out point is now 50).

What's frustrating is, that after food was served -- and finished, apart from one audience member, the only people to wear masks was the actors. :cry:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:29 pm

Lady Grace wrote:31 people came to the show last night (our sell-out point is now 50).

What's frustrating is, that after food was served -- and finished, apart from one audience member, the only people to wear masks was the actors. :cry:

So the facility doesn't have a "mask or GTFO" policy?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Ohio just won't take that tiny step. It is worried about offending people so they word their mandates as guidelines. And then leave it to the operator to enforce. So do you play strict and risk alienating customers who will go all Cancel culture or do you politely ask and get ignored.

Customers don't listen about masks. I have about 70% who wander up and assume that "masks must be worn in businesses somehow doesn't apply to a golf course. I have these two brothers that have been fighting with me on having to ride alone or wear a mask for 3 straight days. (Both options are not acceptable to these guys)

Today one tries to tell me that he has been calling other courses and they appear to not have this restriction. I told him, i was in no mood to break state mandates and if they wanted to buy my business they can decide what to do. (I am just being too subtle, i need to flat tell them if they don't like it, stay home)

As for Ohio Renn... that is halfway between Columbus and Cincinnati and well away from me. I know many folks who are involved but have never been there myself. Our local is still misguidedly thinking he can pull off a miracle final weekend next week. It isn't going to happen.
salamanca

Postby daundelyon » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:35 pm

ORen is kind of my home away from home, but I was incredibly relieved when they decided to cancel.
The rate Great Lakes seems to be going, I"d be surprised if they mange to open next year.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby salamanca » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:38 pm

That typo, "mange to open" is accurate.

You can miss your friends for a year in order to keep them safe for next year.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:35 am

For.your consideration, this week's why i don't have a mask comments (and the parenthetical responses i can't shout at them):

Are we actually doing that? (Yes, yes we are)

I thought that was just for other people. (It means you snowflake)

I left it in the car. (Go back and get it, the car is less than 50 yards away)

I don't need one, I'm from another state and we dont have that rule. (Yeah, New York! They have that rule)

You have to do that HERE too? I thought it was just for stores and places you pay for things. (And you are paying me for golf and snacks so, yes, this is a store)

I didn't get one yet, I'm waiting to see if we really need them first. (You do)

Can i borrow yours? (No, hell no, just no, nope, no way, and... NO!)

I thought i only needed it if i was interacting with another person. (And that person is currently me)

It's in my pocket, do i have to put it on? (With your face, even if there was not a pandemic, i would recommend you wear one.)

I didn't think i would need it since i am here before 9 am. (Yes, yes you do.)

Are you going to kick me out ot wearing one? (I am now. Have a day)
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:53 pm

My official corporate direction is that All we are allowed to do is ask politely for the customer to remember to wear one the next time.

This is despite the fact that that board of health can fine the Store for $1000 if the customers arent wearing one.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:10 pm

And they won't. They never do.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:36 pm

Someone has broken into the Ninja Museum in Japan and stolen their safe containing 1 million yen (just over $9,400 american dollars)

I wonder if this is a tryout application to join.

I also wonder if it will lead to a century of revenge.

But mostly, i wonder why the ninja museum is not better hidden.

And i am betting on pirates as the culprits.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Next in the world of company policy and the board of health...

If the board of health fines a store because an employee is not wearing a mask, that employee is fired, and the store manager loses their bonus for 3 months...

If the board of health fines a store because a Customer is not wearing one... The company is going to quietly pay the fine, and expense it to the store.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Well, it has to go on the paper trail somewhere or the accountants will freak out.

Still a lousy plan. I liken it to retail stores getting docked for taking returns for items bought online. Store gets no credit for the sale, all the blame for the return.

Also not a fan of managers getting slammed over employee miscues. If it is a repeated issue, sure. But nailing them for individual incidents just asks your competent staffers to look elsewhere for employment. (Particularly with the average level of regular staff you get in that industry)
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:29 pm

Ohio, leading the way.

It appears safety and health are not acceptable options for certain State Representatives from the southern end of the state. Articles of Impeachment are now being filed agaisnt the state governor (a member of their political party) for his "gross negligence and wanton misuse of office" in dealing with the covid outbreak which has lead to "the failure of many businesses".

Yep, now that we have reached a pevel they seem to feel is safe (and i don't know how you call 1,000 new cases a day and 24 deaths a day safe) apparently keeping these rules in place os,and i quote, "the Governor placing his foot on the throat of Ohio".

Oh, and by putting a mask mandate in place, it has made Ohio a "hostile place to be".

Having read this report, i will agree that i am now feeling more hostile.

These same State Representatives are on their summer holiday instead of actually solving the states problems.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:31 pm

its a shame that we cant directly vote to impeach our representatives.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Well, only your local one every couple of years. But the ones the guys at the other end of the state pick, you get stuck with.
salamanca

Previous

Return to Mundane Matters