HoA Online?

The place for everything else.

HoA Online?

Postby Dekelia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:59 am

I wasn't sure where to post this. I played HoA a few years ago at Origins and had high hopes and dreams of coming back every year but that never worked out.

Most of my games have gone online in the last couple of months and have worked out surprisingly well. It made me wonder if HoA was going online anywhere? Are you part of Origins Online? Anywhere else?

Thanks,
Kevin
Dekelia

Re: HoA Online?

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:41 am

Mark has been dabbling in participating in an online game for the first time, i will let him chime in on that if he chooses.

Ken was considering running some sort of events for Origins online.

I will not ever participate in an online game. It holds no interest for me and i see nothing enjoyable about staring at a screen. Roleplaying, for me requires being avle to read my players mannerisms and reactions. That means it needs to be done in person.

With all that said, as of right now, Mark and I are of the opinion that we will not be offering any of the new campaign events online because we want them run in person for the initial experience. Part of this has to do with keeping folks from getting a year jump on each other. Part of it has to do with how online play seems to take longer to accomplish things than it does at the table.

That said, at some point, if this situation continues to be what it is, online only events will become more of a norm and older events will be a potential part of that for some of our GMs.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Dekelia » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:43 pm

salamanca wrote:Mark has been dabbling in participating in an online game for the first time, i will let him chime in on that if he chooses.

Ken was considering running some sort of events for Origins online.

I will not ever participate in an online game. It holds no interest for me and i see nothing enjoyable about staring at a screen. Roleplaying, for me requires being avle to read my players mannerisms and reactions. That means it needs to be done in person.

With all that said, as of right now, Mark and I are of the opinion that we will not be offering any of the new campaign events online because we want them run in person for the initial experience. Part of this has to do with keeping folks from getting a year jump on each other. Part of it has to do with how online play seems to take longer to accomplish things than it does at the table.

That said, at some point, if this situation continues to be what it is, online only events will become more of a norm and older events will be a potential part of that for some of our GMs.

Thanks for the reply. I will say that I thought the same way about online games but have been pleasently surprised. With modern video chat, I wouldn't say it is the same as being at the table, but it is much closer than I thought in the past when I've tried. It is also much more convenient and lets me play with friends across the country.

I'd love to do any flashbacks any of your GMs run online. Being in Florida, I haven't been able to get to any of your conventions since Origins 2017 and only played the first two or three.

Kevin
Dekelia

Postby kenderleech » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:41 pm

If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing to consider running flashbacks online. I have already done so for one local con that moved online, and was considering it for origins, but since i had 3 employees quit on me, Thats not going to happen. So, as a possible arranged thing, if 3-5 people are interested, Sure, we can set up a time.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 pm

I'm surprised to hear folks saying it works as well as in person games. My experience has been, whatever we do, we need to be prepared to take twice as long to accomplish the same things (what with lagging/mishearing stuff/talking over one another/etc.) I'll be relegating myself to home games (where we have infinite time to get things done) rather than tight 4-hour con game slots since I don't want to cheat folks (Plus I agree with Dave, online is still not as much fun as in person).

But also like Dave said, if Ken (or any other GMs for that matter) want to run stuff. I won't stand in anyone's way.

But hey, Dekilea, come back to Origins and we can play in person!

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dekelia » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:35 am

kenderleech wrote:If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing to consider running flashbacks online. I have already done so for one local con that moved online, and was considering it for origins, but since i had 3 employees quit on me, Thats not going to happen. So, as a possible arranged thing, if 3-5 people are interested, Sure, we can set up a time.

I could probably bring 4-5 people, including myself. My brother and two kids (19, 17) played at Origins and loved it too - and I still have our HoA characters. My daughter, 11, has played with me a couple times and had a lot of fun.

If you want to try to set something up, I'll check with them.

Kevin
Dekelia

Postby Dekelia » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
But hey, Dekilea, come back to Origins and we can play in person!

I would love to, and had plans to do just that. It just turns out the logistics couldn't work out. Too far and too many people to coordinate with too many things to do. I'm just in the wrong part of the country :)

Kevin

P.S. is your next living campaign going to use 1st ed still or are you moving to the new one?
Dekelia

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Dekelia wrote:P.S. is your next living campaign going to use 1st ed still or are you moving to the new one?

We'll be sticking with 1st Ed. for the foreseeable future. While I like some of 2nd Ed.'s ideas, the rules set just doesn't work for a living campaign.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Or for groups larger than 4. John admitted that he never even considered a table of 6-8 when they designed it. When I told him I had just ran a table of 10, he went a little wobbly.

Protip: never run 2nd ed for a group of 10, it will tax every ounce of creativity to form enough challneges to buy off all the successes. (Unless you run the entire thing in a burning building during a hurricane and it is full of orphans...then you only need a ton of challenges)
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:49 am

To be fair, he was a little wobbly already when we walked up to him from the drink in his hand. And we had just asked him how his own rules worked and gotten a confused "You're right, that doesn't work" out of him.

I dont know if i told you, but at gencon, the answer his GMs (at 20 bucks a seat at the table) were given as a solution was "Wing it".
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:19 am

Yeah, i remember a lot of feedback from events at theat GenCon you all attended.

But to be fair, "wing it" should always be rule 3 of any RPG.

To review,
1- Always opt for the most entertaining result.
2- if a rule isn't adding to the fun, change or ignore it.
salamanca

Postby Dekelia » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:04 pm

kenderleech wrote:If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing to consider running flashbacks online. I have already done so for one local con that moved online, and was considering it for origins, but since i had 3 employees quit on me, Thats not going to happen. So, as a possible arranged thing, if 3-5 people are interested, Sure, we can set up a time.

It won't let me reply to you in PM. My discord is Dekelia#0738

Kevin
Dekelia

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Dekelia wrote:It won't let me reply to you in PM.

The minimum to make use of PM is 10 posts (so we don't have bots posting to folks all the time). When you reply to this, you'll be all set :D

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dekelia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:51 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Dekelia wrote:It won't let me reply to you in PM.

The minimum to make use of PM is 10 posts (so we don't have bots posting to folks all the time). When you reply to this, you'll be all set :D

Makes sense, thanks!
Dekelia

Postby joecrak » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:37 pm

Hello, I too have much interest in playing any bit online. I was able to attend back in 2016, but life hasn't been able to bring me back to Origins for a multitude of reasons.

So...count me as another interested in play Flashbacks or whatever online.

I play a lot online, cause you know, the current times, and I think it works pretty well, but many of the previously stated things hold true. It takes longer, or you have to plan for the session to be shorter. And you probably can't be running a game of more than 6 players online, easily at least.
joecrak

Return to Mundane Matters