A slightly different 31 day character challenge

The place for everything else.

– Call of Catthulhu –

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:19 pm

I would really have enjoyed that game.

An Unnamed, but extremely fat Orange Tabby
Back in the old days (pre-COVID) I would go once a month up to NH to play with a different group (game was always different, and had a round table of folks who might show up, GM always varied, and all games were 1-shots). This time around one of my regular players (and a co-GM for HoA, Megan) was our GM.

She’d found this game at GenCon the year previous. Essentially, Cats (which featured prominently in HPL stories) were fully aware of all the mythos beasties, and were doing their best to keep them at bay (not necessarily to save humans, but they were on earth too, and they stood good stead as servants, plus it required absolutely no extra effort to include them in the rescue, so why not?)

My character was an unnamed cat (since he was not “owned”) who was a monstrous (and very fat) orange tiger-striped tabby (think Muta from The Cat Returns*, but orange) who was a “Tiger Dreamer.” Tiger Dreamers are cats who have prophetic dreams about the future and other relevant events. Their council is coveted because they can help guide others to make the right decisions.

(I should pause here to describe what I consider to be the most awesome mechanic of this game. In order for you to “carry” anything (since you are a cat, have no opposable thumbs, and are small relative to the other things in this game), you must put the item in your mouth. Yes, for real. Should you ever drop the item (say because you are speaking and can’t keep your mouth closed around the item and speak at the same time) the item is gone.)

Right off the winged mouse I decide that my cat, who is obviously a prophet of some kind, would never voluntarily move. Ever. If the other players want the benefit of my wisdom they’re going to have to make sure that I am seen to.

We start at a local (and extremely dingy) humane shelter. Within minutes, GM has set the building on fire and we have to escape. And. I. Refuse. Nope not getting up. I’m comfortable, and it’s getting nice and warm, which normally never happens. So I am quite happy right where I am. The others start to panic. Half try to convince me to get off my fat a$$, and the others are trying to rescue the other animals. Finally, seeing I will not move, the ones trying to convince me start rolling me off the countertop where I am perched. And right onto the back of the only dog the shelter allows to roam free. He’s like 900 dog years old, arthritic, allergic to damn near everything, and nearly blind. He’s almost perfect. ALMOST. You see, he’s bony. And that means he’s not comfortable to sit on. So I allow myself to fall off and flop onto the floor where I start groaning and lamenting my now low status (because I’m not up high where I can see everyone else). Seeing what needs to be done the others fashion a small cart that they tie to the dog and shove me onto it. At last, I am ready to go. Throughout the adventure the dog leads me into blind alleys, makes me watch as he pees randomly, and wags his tail in deserted areas. Meanwhile, I dispense my wisdom.

That mouse has one of the humans’ candy bars. If you bring me the mouse, I’ll let you have the candy bar.
If we’re not in a rush, you should take me past that fried chicken place I like so much.
Rub my belly…NOT THAT WAY YOU IMBECILE!

Unbeknownst to the other players, my full-tilt diva pronouncements are vitally important to the adventure. The dog was the repository of the bad thing the mythos beasties were after (so having him with us meant they could not get it). The carriage ride meant he couldn’t just throw me off and run away. The candy bar/mouse thing was meant to make the dog (which had tons of allergies) vomit up the “bad thing.” The trip to the fried chicken place was because I knew there was a deep-fat fryer there where we could destroy the “bad thing.” And the belly rub was because I like to have my belly rubbed, BUT AS I PLAINLY SAID BEFORE, NOT THAT WAY!

Why the GM should have loved this character – It’s Megan. I honestly believe she has some kind of masochistic desire to watch me play scene-chewing characters. In that respect my Tiger Dreamer was perfect. But I also have to give Megan credit. As I described the character above, you might be wondering why on earth the other players didn’t just leave me behind. I know I would have. But Megan started the adventure by giving a bit of backstory (which I didn’t write). She explained to the others how on numerous occasions prior to this my Tiger Dreamer had literally saved the others from death. Warning them when the humans would be coming to gas them and making sure they were safely hidden from view. Without that little tidbit I would never have gotten away with the crap I did. But in this case I knew they’d already been given reason to trust me. So even if I was 10 pounds of crazy in a 5-pound bag, they’d still put up with my antics.

Why the GM should have hated this character – Um, let’s see. Scene chewing, never revealed the important bits to the other characters, made insane demands, hogged the limelight, take your pick.

* What’s that you say, never heard of Muta or The Cat Returns? What kind of Miyazaki fan are you?!?! Go out and buy it right now! MUTA FOREVER (just don’t call him fat)!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: A slightly different 31 day character challenge

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:24 pm

*takes more notes for Muffin*
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

4 Colors Al Fresco

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:16 am

Once upon a time there was a small group of game designers calling themselves "The Impossible Dream". Their goal was to design cool RPGs and support themselves as game designers. Unfortunately, a couple of them did not endorse the concept on money or charging people for their games. Making their dream truly Impossible. I happen to be the owner of one of the only physical copies ever printed out at a copy store.

The Navigator
4 colors was a superhero game set in Renaissance Italy. This was a convention event for me for several years. Every year, i would sit down and take the last character available and every session, that character was The Navigator.

If you read the character, you would understand why. The write up never started with his power but his limitation... He is blind. Not Daredevil blind, regular blind. That is a hassle most players avoid if they can. Then you would see his power...The Navigator always knows how to get where he needs to go.

That's it. He knows where to turn and always knows which way to travel. Sure, it is handy but in a convention event, you are volunteering to not be in the spotlight at all because you are useless in the big scenes. (I played the Navigator a lot... he really is sub optimal)

So what is a player to do when he is playing the weak link hero in a superhero game over and over again? Play up the intangibles and build on the personality that wasn't written down.

I had to do a little research for this one, it has been a while and i had to dig around for old Origins schedules (why i keep these, i will never know)

I played the Navigator at least 7 times. He is a sailor and ship captain. That was what i had to work with. And in those 7 playthroughs, that was the only thing that did not change. I changed what I based the character on every time I hit the table. I played him as a stumble around drunk like Jack Sparrow including the waving hands and swaying unreliable attitude. I played him as the old salt first mate that knew all the old sea tales and got where he needed to be only by taking an indirect route every time. He got a Long John Silver take that had to use exaggerated paces to find his way. He got a Captain Ahab run where i barked obsessive orders at the others driving them after our nemesis. He even got a Captain Ron variation where he was not up to the job and trying to bluff his way through. I remember a Captsin's Courageous take where i didn't tell the GM but decided that I really didn't have a power and was just faking my way onto the team. But every 4 hour session was played totally differently in personality.

My favorite session was at the table with Jim Silverstein and Floyd. The Navigator hit the final showdown with the villain and started an Intervention with the villain (we love you and are worried about you type intervention) Jim and Floyd jumped right in with me and it went over really well. That was the old salt version.

why the GM loved him
He really loved his characters. We talked after game sessions about changing The Navigator because nobody ever voluntarily played him at any event. And he refused to change him at all. He was wedded to his version of that character. (And for a convention character he needed shifted)

why the GM hated him
He was blown away with the Old Salt version because it was a good group and a fun session and that became the bar. Every session after, he was uoset that I was playing him differently. He wanted more of that one version.

why Dave loved this game
It was a cool concept, a cool setting and cool characters even if i had the dud, it was still fun.

why Dave hated this game
Mechanically, this game had a very obvious problem. In a superhero game, the whole point os the moment when the hero does something impossible. He lifts the thing that should be too heavy or exceeds the limits on their power. This mechanic made the impossible success or failure a very rare thing and instead made pretty much every roll of the dice a mediocre success.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:48 am

Frowns on your decision to not ☠☠☠☠ing play as him least once.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

– Kuro –

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:13 pm

Masaru the Priest
For several years there was this interesting RPG group that came to Origins. Their reason for becoming a collective was that each of them either had, or had a relative who had been in the military stationed in Japan. So their games reflected RPGs they’d either discovered over there (like Maid and Ryuutama) or had a Japanese theme (like Kuro). This was, of course, when I was enamored of the game. And given they were the only group running Kuro, it wasn’t really surprising that we eventually crossed paths.

The GM/writer of this campaign would do three adventures a year (I’m impressed) and it’s my understanding that two of the adventures were the typical Japanese Horror. But the last one was always a bit light-hearted. Now this was kind of a living campaign in that the stories built on one another and you had a (limited) choice of characters. However, the characters weren’t exclusive to you. So for example, maybe they had 20 characters, you could try to pick the same one every time, but if someone got that character before you, you had to pick something else. Interesting, but I wasn’t able to give this my full attention since I was running HoA. So for a couple of years, I’d manage to finagle enough time to sit in on one game. And almost always it was the humorous adventure.

Masaru was the character I ended up playing the most (twice as opposed to once for all the rest). He was a Buddhist priest who wandered around the island (the campaign was set on Enoshima Island) talking to the local orphans and engaging in a bit of chicanery in his off hours. Interestingly, the GM would also change the character in small ways based on player actions during the course of adventures they’d played. (for example, Masaru was just a normal Buddhist priest the first time I played him but I did several magic tricks for some local children and they were so entranced, the GM gave me a rank in slight of hand and the children as contacts.)

By the time I played him again, he had worked his way up to becoming the children’s protector (since they were apparently all orphans, a fact I had not known the first time I’d played him).

This particular adventure was doing a favor for a local spirit. She ran one of the most popular temples (or was it that she just hung out there, I was never really sure. I actually think that was a conscious decision on the GMs part, leaving us guessing about what, actually, was going on.). Rather than just pop up, the spirit sent two mischievous kitsune (fox people) to come fetch us. Knowing a little bit about kitsune, I knew that we had to be at once, both respectful of them and good natured about any pranks they might pull on us.

Then I happened to re-read my skills/background info and remembered that I was now chief entertainer/protector of the island’s orphans. Immediately it occurred to me that the easiest way to keep the kitsune from doing something awful to us was to give them something else to focus on. And with my newfound skill at working with children, I proceeded to do just that.

Now at this point we did not know about the spirit or the substance of the adventure (I personally thought babysitting the kitsune WAS the adventure). So all I was planning on was to keep them distracted so that their destruction could be contained. BUT unbeknownst to me, the kitsune weren’t really part of the adventure (or they hadn’t been until I started interacting with them). They were JUST supposed to fetch us to speak with the spirit. BUT I was so entertaining; the GM decided the kitsune would stick around (even though the spirit told them to buzz off, they just “happened” to find us afterwards and tagged along).

The adventure was pretty straight forward, “Spirit A” wanted us to go find “Spirit B” who’d gone very quiet recently and could be considered a “Missing Spirit.” But then (as I mentioned above) the kitsune showed back up. So I thought this was the speed bump meant to slow us down (rather than a long term change in the plot). Thus, knowing the awesome destructive capability of mischievous spirits, I tried to be as entertaining as possible. Whenever they looked like they were going to wander off, unsupervised, I got another crazy idea…

It started by mentioning to the kitsune that I knew a lot of children who would be entranced with their magical abilities. No promises of anything, just a hint that I had an “in.” From there it was a full description of the kinds of games the kids liked (spoiler alert, it was exactly the kind of games the kitsune played). And it progressed to a promise to arrange a meeting, after which it was a vague suggestion that the kids might like to learn some of the stuff the kitsune were experts, until finally I had inadvertently backed myself into becoming the next Fagin to the kitsunes’ Artful Dodgers…

Meanwhile, the rest of the party (all of whom had played in all or nearly all the previous adventures and thus knew of the kitsune and had significant history with them) never bothered to tell me the kitsune weren’t really an issue. So they wandered around solving the mystery (with very occasional input from me) while I tugged real hard on a string that didn’t matter in the slightest.

We ended about twenty minutes early and that was the point where the other players let me in on the secret, which lead to my explaining why I had been playing the events of Oliver Twist. And they finally got it. But the damage was done. Masaru was now working the criminal side of things.

At the end I suggested the GM ignore how badly I had taken the character off track (since I would have limited time to return, being in charge of HoA), but she had an elegant solution, which added some of my antics but not enough to be game destroying. And sadly that was the last time I got to play, I have not seen their group at Origins since :cry:

Why the GM should have loved this character – I think the GM did love this character. She had an easy out for all of this. The kitsune could have simply left. No muss, no fuss. I’d have stopped being worried about them and focused on the adventure we were supposed to be having. But either she didn’t want me not to have a good time or I was entertaining enough all on my lonesome to keep her engaged. Whatever the case, I hope she had a good time.

Why the GM should have hated this character – No one’s fault really (well maybe the other players) but Masaru was way off in left field for the whole of the adventure. I actually felt really bad (right up until I realized that the whole thing could have been resolved in minutes if literally any of them had talked to me about it)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

– Rotted Capes –

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:13 am

Codie Snyder, AKA, Bracer
The Setup: This character was one of the beginning character that were part of the official Rotted Capes intro to the game (it actually pre-dated the release of the game, which would officially happen at GenCon that year). It was billed as a 6-8 hour adventure after a character creation session along with some cool stuff (like having one of the game designers as GM) for $20. I figure, why not. Might be cool, I did like Marvel Zombies after all.

Now what actually happened? No character creation at all, just pick from a pile of random pre-gens. And the adventure? It took less than two hours. Seriously, this was absolutely the WORST intro game ever (even worse than that Cosmic Patrol game Charlie and I endured).

The plot (such as it was) consisted of us reassuring the normies we were protecting that we would return soon then going down to the corner grocery to scrounge for food.

In the midst of that, we spotted a few normal zombies, fought them for a while, then a low-powered Zombie Super showed up and we had to team up to defeat him. The End.

Oh man I forgot the worst part. Ok, so remember that “GM is one of the Game Designers” thing I mentioned? Well he showed up, sat us down and talked about how the con was going for him (I should note here, that “how the con was going for him” had nothing to do with the game we were about to play), then he said he was going to cut out early and this other person was going to run the game. Almost immediately after he said that, he up and took off, leaving us before the other GM even showed up. I was on my way out the door when she arrived. COMPLETELY UNPREPARED (had I known. I would have kept walking straight to the GM HQ). She didn’t have a game, hadn’t read anything. Just said, she’d be running a game she’d done earlier and that was it.

At the end, she didn’t bother to apologize for the brevity of the game, nothing. When folks complained, she seemed genuinely surprised we expected more.

It was the exact moment I decided I would no longer be writing for Paradigm Concepts (I’d written an adventure for their Witch Hunter game, and had discussed the prospect of a campaign-length adventure for Rotted Capes earlier in the week).

So let’s get back to Bracer. He’s the Speedy sidekick to end all Speedy sidekicks. Unlike most supers now a days (The surviving supers in this game are the sidekicks that didn’t go with their mentors to fight the zombies, cause all of them are now either dead or have been turned), he did go with his mentor. The story goes that The Fletcher (an all-too-obvious Green Arrow clone) was killed by his former comrades as he and Bracer arrived at the scene. Bracer was close enough to the action that he was splattered by the remains of his mentor. So Bracer has a serious case of PTSD (which he is dealing with by—yup you guessed it—using drugs).

Now I should stop here to say, as a psychotherapist, I’m on the fence about whether or not to use this kind of thing in game. On the one hand, it’s appropriate for the genre, and normalizes the stigma attached to mental illness. However, I also know folks writing gaming books are not experts and the far too often fall prey to the tropes rather than the reality.

Back with Bracer, I wanted to make sure the GM was familiar with the rules for PTSD (and knew what it looked like), so I checked in with her. She mentions not having any familiarity with my particular character but she’s read the advanced copies of the book (and all the pre-gens) so she’s ready to go.

Ok, so Bracer is an archer type, right? His power set is a powered bow which fires bolts of energy (different types of energy do different things. I can mentally change energy type at a whim. And of course, each energy is a different color). Interestingly I am also the most combat experienced character in the game (they justify it by saying that I was at ground zero for the zombie apocalypse and yet I’m still alive). So that means I am the one who has to organize the fighting (In mechanical terms, different actions take a certain amount of time. So, for example, pulling a trigger can be done quicker than pulling back a bow. Because of my combat expertise, I can shave down the amount of time the other players need to do their actions). Unfortunately, I have to do it while I am freaking out because of the PTSD.

What ends up happening is, I can give a couple of orders, and that works out well for a couple of actions. But I can’t just sit by issuing orders because the zombies are attacking me too. And every time I attack or defend myself, I have to make will rolls not to freak out (a bit excessive for an RPG in my opinion, but hey, GM said she was ready to roll with it). Unfortunately, they’ve also given me a poor will, so I was only successful about half the time. That means, rather than try any cool arrows I stick with the most damaging ones so I have a chance of not dying. Oh yea I almost forgot, bow has a battery (or some “charge” thingie), so I have to be real judicious about using it since I have no way to recharge it during the entire adventure.

So adventure gets done, we move on. Eventually I get my copy of the book, and guess what the first thing I look at is? PTSD doesn’t work ANYTHING like what she described. First off it’s not a limitation or anything like that. It’s a personality characteristic I am supposed to ROLEPLAY. All those making me wait cause I’m too busy delays. Utter crap (in fact in retrospect, I think this is a much better way to handle PTSD.)

Overall, my thinking about Bracer. I wish I had been able to do him justice. I think he had lots of potential. The death of his mentor, the fact all the other teen heroes were looking to him to lead them, and he felt utterly lost himself. Great stuff for roleplaying opportunities. Bracer deserved better than what he got.

Why the Mark/Bracer should have loved this GM – We shouldn’t have, and we didn’t, either of them in fact. The game designer should have refunded us the money the moment he knew he was going to bag ass on us. And the other GM should have struck a much different tone given what she was walking into.

I remember running a certain swashbuckling game for another living campaign one Sunday afternoon at GenCon many years ago. The early morning session had been the Ep. 1 adventure (you know, the only one where you were allowed to make a character?) So currently I was running (if I recall correctly) one of the adventures I had written for them. Two people sat down and explained they wanted to join the campaign but were unable to get tickets for the earlier game, so they wondered if they might sit in on mine. Well, we all know how that was dealt with. BUT, rather than blow them off or shrug my shoulders, I empathized with their plight. Told them how I personally had made the very same complaints to the powers that be. Confided to them that those complaints had been among the reasons I was planning on starting my own campaign in which players were welcome to start at any point, etc. I even offered to go to TPTB right then to intercede on their behalf (despite the fact that I knew what answer I’d get). In the end luck shined on me because every other player who sat down at that table was in the same situation. So I made an executive decision to set my game aside and run another slot of Ep. 1 (my other choice would have been to cancel the game altogether). I did get a talking to about having done that, but when I pointed out that I had gotten them an extra 6 tickets as opposed to canceling a game, I got some begrudging acceptance. But I guarantee the folks who sat at my table that morning were far more likely to say good things about that other group than they might have been. (Though it did force me to apologize for the quality of that particular adventure…)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:00 am

Mark, for the record, I never said i didn't consider running The Navigator as that "Captain". But there were kids at the next table. (And it's less funny when he is still named "the navigator")
salamanca

Deadlands

Postby salamanca » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:22 am

Diamond Jim Burton

Diamond Jim was a gambler that had read a copy of Hoyle's rules and understood what was being shown "between the lines". He was a Huckster with an angle. Jim always had an angle.

And that angle was to cheat at all times. Jim cheated at cards, cheated his partners, cheated on his bills and cheated death more than once.

Jim also cheated at game mechanics. I told the GM going in that to stay in character i was planning on cheating on every dice roll and cards draw and it was up to him to deal with that as harshly as he wanted. He had a good sense of humor about it and not only let it slide but encouraged it at times. On one particular occasion, i recall that I should have drawn a poker hand for some effect and was due to be holding 5 cards. I was holding 8. The GM rolled his eyes and asked if I had been cheating and "may have accidentally drawn too many cards". I said, "nope, not me!" Smiled at the GM and flagrantly drew one more in plain sight. The table fell out in laughter.

The GM let it ride knowing that unless it was vital to save the party, I would not use the best results. (He was wrong about that)

Diamond Jim only used his powers at all if he could get away with doing it to cheat at something. Outside of cheating, Jim was content to keep things mundane and talk his way around what he shouldn't just shoot. (He shot a lot of those folks anyhow)

Diamond Jim was me channeling Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday at the table. Well, with more cheating and lying. Somebody called him Doc once and got zapped for it.

why the GM should have loved him
If you have me playing a Doc Holiday style gambler based on Val's doc, you know you got one guy that will see your adventure to the bitter, fatal end without question.

why the GM hated him
He was a dirty, filthy cheater. ALL the time.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:36 am

salamanca wrote:Mark, for the record, I never said i didn't consider running The Navigator as that "Captain". But there were kids at the next table. (And it's less funny when he is still named "the navigator")

Yup you're right. I saw "sailor and ship captain." and couldn't get it out of my head.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Deadlands

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:41 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:So I go with a version of the semi-dandy, slight southern accented portrayal done in Tombstone (masterfully played by Val Kilmer).

salamanca wrote:Diamond Jim was me channeling Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday at the table. Well, with more cheating and lying. Somebody called him Doc once and got zapped for it.

Why does this surprise me not at all...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:41 pm

We need to find some fool to run a western game and we all sit down and play as Doc.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:14 pm

salamanca wrote:We need to find some fool to run a western game and we all sit down and play as Doc.

*starts statting up a Deadlands campaign where everyone is playing Doc from "The Love Boat"* :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:55 pm

Lady Grace wrote:
salamanca wrote:We need to find some fool to run a western game and we all sit down and play as Doc.

*starts statting up a Deadlands campaign where everyone is playing Doc from "The Love Boat"* :twisted:
I call Seigfried! (I know not on Love Boat, but it is Bernie Kopell!)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

– Scion (1st Ed.) –

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:50 am

Herberto “Konetl Tzontecomatl” Martín (Herb Martin)
Herberto (Herb) was my first foray into Scion (a World of Darkness version of Percy Jackson). Herb really took his father’s (Miclántecuhtli, the Aztec god of Death) desires to heart. Like most gods in the Atzlánti pantheon, Miclántecuhtli loves the blood and the suffering. With an extra heaping helping of suffering. He loves to have mortals confront their dreams of avarice, have them try to attain it and fail spectacularly, only to discover what they sought wasn’t really what they wanted.

So where were these children sent? Las Vegas, specifically Caesar’s Palace. Oh baby. Herb Martin showed up in full style, Bermuda shorts, black socks with sandals, super tacky Hawaiian shirt, sunscreen on his nose, and those sunglasses that fit over your bifocals. Herb was STYLIN’

The meeting was set for a Sunday, but Herb showed up a week early to get in good with the vibe of the day. At one point, he got himself into a high stakes poker game where he started up a conversation with an older man (who was quite obviously in over his head). After a short time, Herb got a look at the poor sap’s cards. By Herb’s estimation, he could win it all. Now Herb wasn’t saying what sap should do, but if Herb was sap, he’d “bet it all!” Needless to say, the sap lost everything, and soon after took a swan dive off the roof. Herb, ever the friendly sort, had the decency to wave as he passed.

On his way to the meet (which he was late getting to, as always), he made sure to tip his waitress, telling her that there was no way a casino this big would notice if she put a few extra dollars in her pocket. Now Herb wasn’t saying what waitress should do, but if Herb was waitress, he’d go for one great big score, then retire. During the meeting, he did pause to listen to the wailing of a woman as the police dragged her from the women’s room where she’d holed up after swiping a pile of $100 bills off the concierge’s table. But he was certain that was unrelated.

The adventure was quite creative. Long ago, the various pantheons had gotten together to punish an old god, whom they’d imprisoned beneath Caesar’s Palace. To ensure no one ever set him free, they made it so “full gods” could not get in. Only those who were not gods but who had the powers of the gods could do so (so us basically). We were supposed to go in and dispose of him. Herb, ever the hedonist (and a man after his father’s heart) spent the session doing as little as possible. Distracting when able, drinking a lot, and questioning why we were even bothering with this adventure. Oh he also continued his father’s work, convincing the rest of the PCs (without using his powers mind you) that in order to even open the door to where the ancient god was, we needed lots of blood. It was an Atzlánti trap after all. Herb recommended killing the entire staff working in the room that doubled as the entrance (three guys) but some goody-two-shoes (combined with the GM’s poorly timed retort) meant they decided to try just a little blood at first. Herb was completely surprised it worked. Just shocked. He never knew, honestly…

When we finally got to the ancient god, the others went full on to attack him. Herb of course just sat down on the steps and had another beer (when asked why he wouldn’t fight, Herb said first, he wasn’t sure they were on the right side, and second, he was a lover not a fighter). Even when it looked like the others were going to lose (spoiler alert: they were all gonna die horribly) because they couldn’t even get close to the old god with the iron dagger they needed to kill him with, Herb still just sat there. However, when the son of Thor swung his guitar (you know, his “axe”) wide and smashed Herb’s beer. Oh then it was on. Herb stood up, wiped the beer off his favorite Hawaiian shirt, and offered to set the ancient god free in exchange for a higher position in the new pantheon, and a new beer.

At first the other players thought Herb was just kidding, but then he grabbed the dagger they’d been futzing with and broke it. Then he tossed the shards at their feet. That’s when the others started attacking Herb. Now Herb may not be a fighter (he isn’t) but he knows how to get out of the way when necessary. And soon enough he popped up at the old god’s side. Drawing out the key which had been conveniently left out to set him free, Herb quickly ran around behind him while the old god acted as an impromptu shield against the other players’ attacks. Grabbing one of his wrists, Herb fumbled with the key for a little while before the old god started to get fussy. Whereupon Herb said his thrashing around was making it difficult, he just needed to hold still a second. Reluctantly, the old god did so.

At which point Herb caused the key to turn back into the dagger (the real one, not the fake that he’d broken in front of the players) and stabbed the old god in the back, killing him.

In case you’re wondering, no, I didn’t tell any of the other players what I was doing. They really thought I was going to switch sides. Because I asked a lot of questions of the GM regarding that very thing. But surreptitiously I handed the GM a small slip of paper explaining my plan. He thought it was quite clever.
Once finished, Herb said, “Anyone else wanna stop me from drinking my beer?”

Why the GM should have loved this character – Tony actually wrote Herb especially for me (he asked us in the weeks prior what kind of character we wanted). So I got the son of the Trickster god type. So I spent the session paying very careful attention to all the details of the adventure, while simultaneously trying to appear as though I didn’t care at all. Most of the “messages” I sent to the GM were actually just things saying, for example. “Hope you’re having fun. I know I am.” Or “Do you think hemlines will go up next year?” The real substance of my “secret” messages was the fact that I was taking meticulous notes to make sure I knew everything going on.

Oh yea, and the smashed beer thing? I actually set that up. One of my notes to the GM told him to have another player do something that would piss me off. (In truth, Herb broke the beer glass himself, but no one noticed as they were focused on the fight. I just said that the Son of Thor broke it).

Why the GM should have hated this character – Well I did commit a lot of murder, and I mean, a LOT. In actual hard numbers I know that in 1 four-hour game, Herb killed 6 mortals and an old god. But the way Herb sees it, he’s not really ending their existence. They die, go to the afterlife, voila. If he were snuffing them out of existence entirely, I bet he would feel far different. Now, I know Herb would say he didn’t actually murder anyone. He was simply in the area when it happened. But he and I both know he’s lying. He manipulated the situation, and used his abilities so that those he spoke to didn’t see any other recourse. In that respect, He likes playing with their lives. That’s because one of dear old daddy’s central tenants is, he wants to make his children as unhappy as the mortals he is awful to. And damned if Herb’s gonna let that old geezer get away with that kind of bull***t.

Oh yea, his nickname up above, it’s Nauatl for “Destiny’s Child” (Herb is a big fan.)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Dungeons & Dragons (5th times a charm)

Postby salamanca » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:52 am

This is the one i played in a local shop's D&D adventurer's league (a great idea needing better adventures)

I showed up, looked around the room at a bunch of beginners, took a quick survey and realized that of the 4 characters i had built in advance, i would need to play the one i was least enamored with because NOBODY EVER VOLUNTEERS TO BE THE CLERIC!

Qobaalaavonikan Maargharhet
Maargharhet is a Dragonborn Priest that worships a God of Storms. His name translates roughly into Protector and Guardian of Friends but he grew up not really having friends or a place among his own people. He liked being out on his own and away grom people. He liked exploring the wilds on his own. Until he got caught on a mountain in a yerrible storm. Maargharet found shelter in a cave occupied by the dried remains of a human. With no one to talk to and unable to leave the cave for a week, Maargharhet took to talking to the body to pass the time. He invented a history for this dead man as Saint Watanabe, a monk who worshipped a fierce Storm God he called "Vilthoom". By the time the storm abated, Maargharhet had converted himself to following "Vilthoom". He took the mysterious amulet around Watanabe's neck and presumed it was the holy symbol of their diety.

Some Storm God heard him and decided a loyal worshipper that got his name wrong was worth their blessing. Maargharhet returned to society and got shunned from several villages that did not need some lunatic lizard ranting about false gods.

Maargharhet eventually found his way to a tropical jungle port city and some earnest young heroes that needed some protection (mostly from themselves). The adventurers have become his allies and defsupt family.

Aydis is the most reliable. A hulking dragonborn paladin of a war god. He is the only one who I can sleep around. A true brother.

Eddikyo is a tiefling fighter who may not know which end of the sword to hold. If there is a wrong way to engage in a fight Eddikyo will find it. I spend most of my time healing him. He is my burden.

Ink the Ethereal, an elven warlock. Ink is self destructive. He doesn't really understand how his powers work and hurts himself as much as his enemies. He is also headstrong. Ink is my trial of patience.

Estrella an elf ranger she is young and under the influence of a disreputable rogue. She is my student.

Cordelia is a halfling rogue that claims to be nobility. She is a terrible person and rather bloodthirsty. She is my rival for the souls of the others.

Whisper is a tabaxi monk. Impulsive like any cat...unreadable, unpredictable. Whisper scares me.

why the GM loves Maargharhet
I'm playing 100% support with this character. I follow their leads, suggest better ideas after they have hit a wall or stumbled and failed. Heal as needed and unleash devastating magical hell when they have gotten over their heads or blown through all their powers. (And storm clerics have a nice selection of damage dealing)

why the GM hates Maargharhet
I ask the questions the adventure writers don't plan for. I make him work harder. And, in letting them fail before i fix the problem wastes some time and weakens the group at times.

And i am also messing with the new guys. Promoting Eddikyo as "The Great Hero of the Nation" everytime he introduces himself to paint a target on him. Charging Ink "insurance" to pay for his inevitable ressurections. Pestering Aydus about his body count after i wipe the room of weakened enemies they have all been wearing down for me. Etc. Etc.

This was good for me. All these beginners reminded me of the bad old days before we were so focused on personalities while watching them start to develop their first personas.
salamanca

Tales of the Floating Vagabond

Postby salamanca » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:45 am

Yakko, Wakko, AND Dot

We were in college. Somebody agreed to run Floating Vagabond so I could play. If you are not familiar, the game concept is that sometimes regular doors interface with a dimensional portal that wisks you to an interdimensional bar on an asteroid instead. And then the fun begins. It is humorous and whimsical with many nods to Douglas Adams work.

Each player gets a schtick...some aberrant power they can use that makes them sort of special. Some are handy like interdimensional coat pockets letting you pull a gun or a car out as needed. Some are legit powers. We were rolling random on those.

I got the Larry, Curly and Moe power which does nothing if you are the only one that has it. The GM opted for hard solution over a reroll. I got threee characters. Each with reduced stats but chances to interact all the time.

All of a sudden, I was running a third of the party at the same time.

Now, Animaniacs was our jam back then. Classes got scheduled around it. It was something we all watched and memorized and any goofed lines got called out. (Including Yakko's nations of the world song) So i was under a microscope.

The game started. The Warner Brothers (and Warner sister) literally tumbled into the bar and the chaos started. I have no idea what the plot was, I was too busy bouncing rapid fire between mree characters. Ball of dust fights between them, staring contests and goofy face poses paused me long enough for the others to get their turns in.

But for 4 hours, i pretty much babbled as the 3 characters shifting voices and personalities. (And I know why Animaniacs cartoons are a series of shorts, it is super hard to maintain that energy for more than 6 minutes.

why the GM loved them
It's the freakin Animaniacs! And after game I got mad props for not breaking down. Nobody thought I could keep it going that long.

why the GM hated them
They don't work unless you let them have cartoon physics and damage. Plus, if you are not willing to ignore me while a turn the volume down and drift ro the background as noise, nobody else gets to do anything.

And before you ask, no. I would not try it again.
salamanca

– Deadlands 1st Ed. (the only version worth playing) –

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:07 pm

(Confession time, I hated Animaniacs. The only short I could stand in that series was Pinky and the Brain (which was phenomenal btw). I was so happy when they split off on their own!)

Marshall Van Johnson
(There is a "Van Johnson" who's an actor, but I don’t have a clue if the GM meant something by it.)

The Marshall was the biggest badass Deadlands character I’ve ever played. He also holds the record for the shortest time I’ve ever played a character. 34 minutes of a four hour game.

GM had this plan for good guys vs bad guys thing and for reasons I will never understand, put a bunch of thinking characters on the good guys side and the combat monkeys from hell on the other side. I lasted as long as the first round of the first fight in part because we had no combat effective characters other than me but also because the idiots (yes they deserve the moniker) on my side couldn’t see any reason to “team up” so they all tried to do their own thing (which included hiding behind me and -I kid you not- searching for clues) during the combat!

Meanwhile bad guys immediately realized who was the threat and concentrated fire. I was wicked effective for my one and only turn, severely wounding two of their number and would have had them on the run if I’d have gotten LITERALLY any backup. But I swear to god, they all just hid behind rocks and didn’t bother to use their various magics (both the Hexslinger and the God Botherer had some awfully effective damage reduction spells) to protect me…

GM tried to save me with the Harrowed rules, but luck was not on my side this day.

So I stuck around for the next 45 minutes as the bad guys picked off my moron party one by one (and for the record, even after my death they couldn’t get their s**t together.)

Why the GM should have loved this character – On paper, Van was Hell on Wheels. He had all kind of gunfighting skills, and as I mentioned above, had he gotten any support he’d have had them varmints a scrambling for cover. I guarantee, when the GM wrote Van up he was saying to himself, "How can I make this guy MORE cool?" I tried using his inspiring skills but the rest of the players simply wouldn’t play along. I honestly couldn’t tell you what was going through their heads except, “well I can’t do much so I’ll just hide here until it’s all over.” I could tell the GM was disappointed by the turn of events (including the fact that I only got to play for half an hour) He even offered to refund my ticket.

Why the GM should have hated this character – I think Van hogged up all of the cool. By the time the GM got done writing him, he had nothing left for the rest of the players. I admit it was an interesting idea, let one of the players do the damage and have the rest do support, but maybe it just didn’t interest them. At the end of the day, I think he either should have done a total re-write of one side or the other. Cause the other side? Had freaking demons and a mad scientist in Iron Man armor*!

*MSIM was one of the highlight of this game for me. Van was so wicked effective, I used a rifle and from a distance of over a hundred yards, shot Iron Man through one of his eye holes (he lost the eye and it was only through the use of infernal magic that he didn't die). Told you Van was bad ass.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

It Came from the Late, Late, Late Show

Postby salamanca » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:36 pm

This is my alltime favorite 80's era game and something I would use instead of a universal system game.

Rocky Schwartzenberger

Rocky is a nice jewish kid who went to Hollywood with dreams of doing artful, independent films with deep messages and soulful meaning. It was not meant to be.

For starters, Rocky is a pretty lousy actor when it comes to emotion. Secondly, he is a mssively large muscular beast of a man.

He got a shady agent who convinced him his path to surviving as an actor was to make up a faie background as a violent and aggressive Eatern European muscle man and take roles in Action movies.

Ricky Schwartz was now Rocky. He affected a fake accent and a dumb guy attitude. It worked. He got the lead as Biff Bingle in the Nasty Museum of Carnage and his career was typecast.

There were sequals, prequels and cheap ripoffs looking to cash in and Rocky ended up in all of them playing the big dumb guy who could shoot guns for no explicable reason. He made enough to go part time as a dish washer.

Eventually, Rocky got a little old to play a high school student and went into directing. Unfortunately for his cast, Rocky had gotten too good at being Rocky.

He became known for shoots where the sets may not have been booked in advance. He also may have been using live ammunition, caused massive property damage and at least one body was not a prop. But the scandals and tabloid headlines made his movies highly profitable and a regular nomination staple for the Smithee Awards.

Rocky always skips his own premiers...mostly at the insistence of the California Prison System who refuses to release him for the show. (Every film seems to wrap with the police hauling Rocky away)

why the GM loves him
Rocky is the perfect strong, dumb guy. He takes the lead, trudges into appropriately stupid situations without thinking and is more than willing to take it on his enormous square chin.

why the GM hates him
At some point, Rocky is going to escalate things with explosions and automatic weapons and he doesn't care how that fits into the film plot. If Rocky is in the movie, stuff is getting wrecked.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:09 pm

"...I'm on to you, Wayans..."

Lady Grace

Postby Nutmeg_25 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:49 pm

Me? Love to watch you go completely nuts?

Now, why would I give you tiger dreamer

and a harpy?

I like your interactions when you go completely off the rails. Makes the game that much more fun.
http://nanowrimo.org/widget/MyMonth/megsong23.png
Nutmeg_25

Postby salamanca » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:12 pm

Grace and some of the others have run into Rocky as a director.

He was more out of control as an actor.
salamanca

– Camp Myth –

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:02 am

Phew made it in right under the wire!

Karma the Harpy
Another little indie game Megan found for the NH group to play. The plot holding this little game together is summer camp for children who are creatures of myth. So you can expect ghosts and goblins and things that go bump in the night from mythology from all over the world (so, for example, you can expect a Harpy (my character) right alongside a Kitsune, and a Redcap). Now despite the fact that we are all creatures of myth, we are also children complete with all the awkwardness you might expect for young ones away at summer camp for the first time. So sure, we all have some kinds of power or another (Karma can fly, sort of), but we’re still finding our way in the world. Now the way Karma does this is through gossip. She likes to surround herself with a army of empty-headed groupies who hang on her every word (for fear of what she might tell others about them should they not comply).

And this brings us to the crux of Karma. See this is Karma’s first year and she hasn’t yet established herself (so no army of empty headed groupies). Worse, her older sister is here too. Big Sis is the queen bee. And the queen don’t share her throne. Well that kind of crap wouldn’t stop Regina George, so it sure as heck isn’t gonna stop Karma. That attitude serves her well! For about five minutes.

First time we run into Big Sis, she proceeds to annihilate me. Brings up my bedwetting problem (when I bring prey back to my nest I tend to go straight for the jugular, sending blood all over my bedding, making it unlivable until I go clean it up.) and the fact that I still suck my thumb (oop sorry my Thom. A kid from the nearby village who was my very first victim. In times of stress I tend to chew on what’s left of his bones as a self soothing method).

From this moment on, I care not a whit about the adventure because I am going to DESTROY my sister. I have a list of gossip I’ve arrived at camp with. However, I suspect my devious sister planted those bits of gossip in order to help me humiliate myself. So other than using it as a jump off to impress some of my fellow campers, I never mention it.

Instead, I ask the GM what the most horrific, most embarrassing event happened to my sister. Did she get pregnant? Left at the altar (Hey she’s 16, as far as I’m concerned she’s a real adult, so it could happen.)? Tried and failed to get an old boyfriend back? Or was it worse than that… Did she, the queen bee everywhere she goes, get caught in an embarrassing (and compromising) position with… A KAPPA?!?! And not just any Kappa, oh no. It was none other than Aldous Przbyszewski. National merit scholar, captain of the debate team, creator of the short-wave radio club! The first Kappa to ever have eczema. THAT Aldous Przbyszewski. (oh sure, she got caught when she was 11, BUT she had a screaming fit when our parents grounded her for the weekend and he went to the movies with Melody Williamson, big sis’ main rival at the time). The same Aldous Przbyszewski who currently was assistant groundskeeper at Camp Myth!

We had some adventure, dealing with some monster or other that broke onto the grounds and had to be removed. But all that crap was secondary to my real goal, making sure all my compatriots knew how hurt and embarrassed I was and how much I appreciated their still being friends with me. I might have also mentioned the whole story about Aldous and my sister (well ok maybe not the WHOLE story, but enough that it would be VERY embarrassing if that information got out to everyone before she could do damage control).

At the end of the adventure, when I had single handedly dealt with the monster (I might have had some slight help) and the Camp Counselors brought me (and a few others) up on stage to congratulate us. I waited for my sister to say something snarky about me (which she obligingly did), then rather than saying a word, my empty-headed groupies proceeded to come to my defense, pointing out that my sister (the most popular Harpy at camp) was carrying on an affair with the assistant grounds keeper and that she’d once cried when she thought she’d lost him. One of them even helpfully suggested that my sister might be carrying Aldous’ baby…

Too bad the queen wouldn’t share. Now I’d have to take it all for myself…

Why the GM should have loved this character – Well this was megan, and I had the gossipy off the rails harpy (he he he) No doubt she loved this. But more on point, even if Karma’s motives weren’t just. Karma did play by the rules and helped get the job done (as I recall, she did get hurt in the process).

Why the GM should have hated this character – If we ever played again, Karma would have burned each of her “friends” in favor of more popular kids.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:18 pm

Well, my 31 are done. I think Mark has all his in.

Any of the rest of you are free to toss in as many as you can/ care to add. (No shame if you only have a handful)
salamanca

Sentinels of the Multiverse

Postby salamanca » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:58 pm

Sentinels of The Multiverse

Ghost of a Chance

So, I am fiddling with the character generation for the new RPG. I am using the dice to random determine each factor of the creation process.

SO we start with Origin... Tragic. Something terrible happened to give this character it's powers.

that leads to... Cursed. Tragic and Cursed something really bad and I get access to self control and energy powers. I think I have an idea.

But on to Archetype... Sorceror... ok, that fits with nothing I had in mind but I can finagle that.

and Personality is... Inquisitive.

Ok, here we go,

Caspar Chance was the wrong guy in the wrong place at the absolute worst time possible. He got caught in the crossfire of the OblivAeon crisis. The poor guy got swept away by a blast of Cosmic Energy from one of the Aeon men at the same time Nightmist was casting a spell and Gloomweaver was trying to possess him.

Caspar died right then and there...well physically, he died. There were no atoms left. But his mind grabbed onto the Muons in the Cosmic energy and held together.

Caspar is now a ghost and doesn't quite realize it. He just knows he is not able to physically interact with stuff anymore. It passes through him most of the time. And he is in touch with the energy that binds the universe together. He knows things now. things about where items came from and things about places nobody has ever heard of. Mostly he knows how little he knows about everything.

Power-wise, Caspar has Cosmic Energy, Intagibility, a little Post Cognition and a smattering of transmutation.

If you have the game, I strongly recommend trying the random method and seeing what falls together.
salamanca

Previous

Return to Mundane Matters