did i have fun?

The place for everything else.

did i have fun?

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:08 am

Rebecca just asked if I had fun at the renn faire. Well technically I called it that. And technically it calls itself a medieval faire. But none of that matters because some hipster kid cast and the desperate for something new management decided the opening weekend should be themed as "alternate reality timeline weekend". That was supposed to mean steampunk (which I really hate seeing juliet and henry the 2nd in goggles) but was advertised as time travelling superheroes. So we had steampunks, jedi duels in the chess match, steampunked marty mcfly and doc brown in the cast, timelords, trek away teams, the spirit, the joker, harley quinn (who was wearing a pink and green kids backpack), deadpool, several anime heroes, a handful of sci fi video game characters, a 10 year old captain kirk who ended up shirtless mid day, and Jane Austin: space authoress/assassin. Jane was apparently authorized to terminate with extreme pride and prejudice. it was nice seeing the regulars and catching up but this theme thing...it's like inviting politicians to origins.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: did i have fun?

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:39 am

salamanca wrote:...a 10 year old captain kirk who ended up shirtless mid day...

Nothing to say about this really, just basking in the glow of the awesome image this created in my mind.

salamanca wrote:...it's like inviting politicians to origins.

No one would be stupid enough to do that!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 am

I used to think it was bad when the goths were in the faire missing the point. But now the goths have gone geaes and victoriana. My friend Renee did make some cool rings with turning gears riveted on them. And the knights Templar did have a huge force on hand to keep things in check. Plus side, I found a great possible set of accesories for Romeo and a doublet that would be perfect except for the ludicrous price tag of 245 american dollars. (it's a freaking doublet and a plain one at that)
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:56 am

Well, (Blankety-blank!), Everyone is so wanting costumes, I am just going to have to get that sewing machine fixed or get a new one, and then start taking orders. Never in my life did I ever think I would be a Seamstress in my old age, lol.

Oh, but sounds like you did have fun anyway Sal. Can't wait to see what you got for props for Romeo. :D
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:31 am

Something for my head that is not "dumb" (if you recall that reference) and something that fits my arm rather nicely. Looking online at some shoes too.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:38 am

A cool mask?
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Well, a mask that will do what Romeo has been doing with his. I may need to use it as a template for one in a more accurate color. (it is terribly comfortable, I expect everyone will be wearing them soon). My seamstress amiga also has the near perfect purple and cream doublet for a future masked hero of the people. Alas, the arm piece suddenly doubled in price overnight, so I have some parts seeking to do over the next 10 months. (last year, every third booth had a garish over decorated bracer, this year everything is understated). However, next week is Yuletide in July (a terribly too warm idea) and "pirate santa" shall need to appear. I will be crashing the Johnny Phoenix show and taking things too far. (he's a pal and in on the joke).
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Sorry I'm going to miss it - sounds like fun.

We are hoping to get to the Bristol show next weekend, but as yet, I'm not sure it'll happen (one person's silly work schedule, and another opposed to 90 degree heat....)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Klcp » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Question: what's a doublet?
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:35 pm

smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Klcp » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Oooooooohhhh!!!
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Whew, glad you didn't tell her to look it up on urban dictionary... See Mark, we can trip her up just as easy with our secret old guy lingo as she gets you with her weird new terminology.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:51 am

I don't have weird new terminology! It was just my iTouch..... --__--
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Itouch, you are making words up now. So week2 at the local faire... Schedules were printed, food court money distributed. And the theme... MERRY YULETIDE!!! That's right, christmas in 85 degree heat. We had about 3 kilt wearing old guy santas, some subtle holiday jewelry, lots of folk in red and green garb. So I broke out the santa suit and a red piratey bandanna with Jack Sparrow beads and a candy cane painted wooden sword. I will venture pictures were taken and facebooked by strangers (some very strange). When some show up on any of the regular's sites, I will pass it along for your ridicule. BTW, it is a bad idea to hang mistletoe on those beads, got kissed on the cheek by some guy dressed as jack.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 pm

salamanca wrote:Itouch, you are making words up now. So week2 at the local faire... Schedules were printed, food court money distributed. And the theme... MERRY YULETIDE!!! That's right, christmas in 85 degree heat. We had about 3 kilt wearing old guy santas, some subtle holiday jewelry, lots of folk in red and green garb. So I broke out the santa suit and a red piratey bandanna with Jack Sparrow beads and a candy cane painted wooden sword. I will venture pictures were taken and facebooked by strangers (some very strange). When some show up on any of the regular's sites, I will pass it along for your ridicule. BTW, it is a bad idea to hang mistletoe on those beads, got kissed on the cheek by some guy dressed as jack.

I SOOOOOO cannot wait to see the pics! Sounds like a lot of fun. We are not going to the faire tomorrow :::mutters semi-incoherently about roommates who can't handle the heat:::, however, it looks like Nicci and I will be trying to make a trip out to Bristol next weekend.

They are also doing themes. Next weekend is the costume contest (not limited to the time period). Saturday is "fantasy" and Sunday is "historical". Other themes to be avoi..errr...anticipated are Pirate Weekend (and I quote: "filled with all cries of 'shiver me Tudors!' that you can handle"), Steampunk Invasion, and Fantasy Facial Hair contest (categories include Best Adorned, Best Colored, Best Fake, Best Historical, Best Themed, and Best Length). No Yuletide, though.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:39 am

That's the benefit of being able to attend an organized affair like Bristol, Michigan, ORF, or King Richard's. They have themes that stay in theme. I half expect an away team weekend next year. And currently there are three separate announcements for next week's theme and none of them match.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

BTW, it is a bad idea to hang mistletoe on those beads, got kissed on the cheek by some guy dressed as jack.

Well, it could have been a kiss on the lips, so you got lucky, or you were fast enough to turn so he got you on the cheek. ;)
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:51 pm

You didn't see his wife, he was the better part of the deal. My faire amigo, trevor has a really cool message board for our faire and links it to a website he throws all his photos on. I'm in the section labled "friends" You can't miss me, I'm wearing bright red. http://www.tylisaari.com/medieval/glmf11/visit.htm

Stranger photos may surface. I ended up in the Johnny Phoenix adult show at the end of the day wrapping my friend, the performer, in saran wrap for his escape and tossing back and forth a ton of naughty banter of a santa related theme. I know a couple of people I know put some on facebook and am hoping they did not tag them. I know there was about 8 minutes of video shot too. waiting for that to surface.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Dammit Sal, Those boots you're wearing are PERFECT for my "Don Miguel" outfit. Why is it I can never seem to find the right boots?!?!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Ooof Sal! You must have been roasting in that outfit! Though Santa Sal does kinda roll off the tongue, lol. :D
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 pm

The boots are easy to get. Just hop on your internet maching and hit Son of Sandlar http://sonofsandlar.com/products-page/boots/low-buckle-boot-2/ It's the low buckle boot. You can leave the buckles up the leg or slide them out and keep just the top strap to hold things in place. they also do a tall boot that will hit the upper thigh and can fold down for cuffs. But those are crazy pricey as are the button boots. I have had them for about 8 or 9 years now they hold up great.

The santa suit was no hotter to wear than any other velvet outfit I wear there.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:46 pm

I love it! Keep us posted on the video....
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:28 pm

Turns out there are more pics of me in the "creepy santa" costume. Check the facebook page photos for Johnny Phoenix". He's an old pal so i'm very willing to take a joke too far for his show. That costume garnered more complements a week later I am very proud to admit. This week, I spent the day watering cast and staff while failing to see much of the entertainment on fantasy weekend. I did catch the "theme sword fight". Which was Link from the Zelda video games. I also spent time talking with kids in halloween get ups that were curious about "real clothes". I had to admit the difference was nothing more than quality of the material and cut of the pattern. (one was collecting autographs of cast). Also got an awesome new pocket watch covered in a ring of roses. (it's too cool)
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:20 pm

I spent today attending events I normally avoid. The ladies choir (as I have two good friends in it), the improv comedy show, the highland games, etc. The highlanders married one of their crew to an inflatable sheep in a kilt named "cynthia". I never again want to hear the following phrases: "do you take ewe to be your wife". And "i now pronounce you husband and sheep til haggis do you part". The ceremony was performed by an actual justice of the peace (coincidentally) and he was holding a book on animal husbandry to make the whole thing an even worse joke. I swear we are all going mad and it's voluntary.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Pirate weekend...aaarrgh!. Got stopped by about 30 pirates asking where I got my cutlass. (like I remember that). Oddly, half of them had much nicer weapons. A friend suffered heatstroke but we got him cooled down and on his way home with the wife. (lucky break: we were hanging out at the vendor run by off duty paramedics). I also got talked into participating in the comedy charity show next week. We are eating marshmellows in some sort of vaguely defined race. (most, fastest, time limit...no idea). Strange part is that 3 of the 4 are plotting comedy cheating and goofing and the comedic member thinks it's going to be a straight contest. I'll update after.
salamanca

Next

Return to Mundane Matters