My computer has totally died...

The place for everything else.

My computer has totally died...

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:56 am

So I can only check in while at work, until I can afford to get another one. I am hoping that I can see what I can afford from this Friday's paycheck, but not sure. Meanwhile, everything I had on the old one, is either totally wiped out, or locked inside it.

It made a funny high piercing whine when I was on it yesterday morning, but still worked. I turned it off, went to work, came back home and tried to turn it on, and nothing.

I am going to be going through withdrawls meanwhile, lol.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Re: My computer has totally died...

Postby salamanca » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Fan probably locked up and overheated it. I would take it in to a service location and ask before outright buying one. Odds are good the Best Buy geeks could get into the hard drive and recover as well as transfer files if you do need to replace it. Unrelated to that, my car did not make a high pitched whine but it also refuses to continue to run after it starts up. So I am also shopping in the near future.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:24 am

This is why I keep backups. :D
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 am

Well, I will probably have the hard drive looked at to see what I can get out of it. But I figured this is a good time to look for a laptop, since I seem to be the only one in my gaming group without one.

Went looking yesterday, at Best Buy, to see what they had, and the only one I could afford, around $450.00 was by a company I had never heard of before, so I don't know if I trust it or not. But I did like how it had a decent screen, and I didn't have much problem with the "finger pad" to move the mouse.
Most of the ones I knew by name were at least $800.00 or more.

Just wondering where all the "Back To School" sales are, or when they are going to start, to see what prices I can get.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:08 am

Laura, unless you need one right away, wait for the one that you like best to go on sale. They all eventually do! I waited to buy my desktop and saved $100.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:46 pm

You were looking at an Acer weren't you. The trick is to look at the processors. Intel and their pentiums are still the best. If they are out of range, the athlon processors are a solid option. Wait a minute, why are you asking us?. Isn't there a member of your team that is a tech guy?. And nobody needs a laptop to run games, it's a crutch that will fail you when you most need it.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:15 pm

salamanca wrote:And nobody needs a laptop to run games, it's a crutch that will fail you when you most need it.

Yeeeaaahhhh.....it's true.
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:50 pm

salamanca wrote:Isn't there a member of your team that is a tech guy?.

If not, let me know what you're looking at - we have an abundance of tech-types at our table (possibly even an over-abundance), and I can absolutely get you some recommendations.

NOTE TO SELF: read all postings before starting to reply.... (just saw on the other thread that you've got your new laptop....) :oops:
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Yeah, sorry, I should have updated here too.

I am hoping that I can eventually get the old computer up and running.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:09 pm

It's just a machine, let it go.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 am

If your car got a flat tire, would you just toss the car and buy a new one?

I want to see if I it just has a "flat", compaired to a "sieged (?sp) engine". A "flat" can be fixed fairly cheap, and still be able to use it.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:19 pm

You already replaced the vehicle with a laptop. No you are putting the old one on blocks in the yard.
salamanca

Postby buckskinmist » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Man, it's pretty sad when I have to join a forum I know zilch about just to find out if your alive and kicking!! :evil: LOL

I was just looking up every Whole Foods in the Mass area to call and see if you were there! Leave me 1 IM a week ago, and then nothing! I looked on DC, Shoco, and then remembered I had bookmarked this place.

It's good to know your still alive and well. I was worried about ya, specially with Irene heading your way. Keep safe and send me an emal/pm if you get a chance tomorrow (sat) while your at work.

Miss ya girl!!
Kim
buckskinmist

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Kim,
You must be one of the horse breeder people that Laura's always blathering about ;) To answer your question, she's fine, and now has a computer so the world knows she's alive. We're not anticipating a big hurricane here (it may not even actually be a hurricane by the time it hits us). So naturally we've had the regular mad rush to clean out the stores and some light looting. All in all a fun time.

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Hey Kim! Welcome! Sorry, been busy, but sent you a pm on AOL. See you later tonight hopefully!
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby buckskinmist » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Mark,

Yep, I'm the horse nut from Texas! Thanks for letting me know she is still around. Both of us get busy and we miss each other a lot lately, but I try to talk to her at least once a week. I figured someone on here had heard from her.

Laura, I'l make sure I put up my aol in case you get on. Hey, there she is!

Thanks again Mark for letting me know!

Kim
buckskinmist

Postby salamanca » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:55 pm

When all of New England gets swamped, remember that it was Mark who said it wasn't going to be that bad. M.A.R.K.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Dang, guys...I'm getting flashbacks from Hurricane Gloria from back in ancient times (aka the 80's), so I hope you guys stay safe over there.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:21 am

salamanca wrote:When all of New England gets swamped, remember that it was Mark who said it wasn't going to be that bad. M.A.R.K.

I have a surefire method of telling how bad it will be. I simply listen to the weather prognosticators. The worse they say it will be the bigger the lie they are telling. Truthfully I have never seen such a collective bunch of idiots as here in the Northeast. In Oregon when the weatherman said it would rain for a week, it did. In Texas, they said it'd be hot as hell until September, and voila. I simply don't know if these guys are retarded or if New England has super-unpredictable weather powers. Right now they're screaming about the storm of the century. So, I'm betting one downed tree limb.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:42 am

buckskinmist wrote:Man, it's pretty sad when I have to join a forum I know zilch about just to find out if your alive and kicking!! :evil: LOL

Hey Buckskin!

Why not read a little more on the site here and generate a 7th Sea character for the next GenCon!? :)
We're looking forward to seeing you!
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:53 am

LOL, I think Gen Con would eat her alive, as she has never played any Role Playing games ever. I am, however trying to talk her into going to Origins, sometime, where I could hang with her and show her some of the ropes.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Edited
buckskinmist wrote:Man, it's pretty sad when I have to join a forum I know zilch about just to find out if your alive and kicking!! :evil: LOL

Hey Buckskin!

Why not read a little more on the site here and generate a 7th Sea character for the next Origins!? :)
We're looking forward to seeing you!
Sister Sonya

Return to Mundane Matters