the Strangeness that is my life

The place for everything else.

Re: the Strangeness that is my life

Postby kenderleech » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:04 pm

By employee, you mean owner this time, right?
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Nope, the owner has all different dumb questions.

But someone opened ALL the rolledcoin yesterday. And the afternoon guy knows better and didn't complain so that leaves... THE OWNER!

Ken can vouch for this, there is nothing g more annoying than having to count a drawer and realizing there are at least 130 loose pennies, 65 nickles piled up, over 100 dimes and probably 15 bucks in quarters.

Opening all the rolls is the sort of jerk move you pull when you never plan on coming back or listing the job on your resume.

I took the easy route, raided the petty cash fund and reset the whole damn drawer with fresh money and left the mess mixed in a bag for him to count later.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:24 pm

There is something more annoying. Not having the option to swap it for petty cash. And being told by the shift that is leaving "Hey, dont knock over that 52 oz cup. its full of pennies that are part of your till."
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Yeah, we hate that guy.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Ok, it is getting to be closing down time at ye olde mall. So corporate figured out a brand new way to make me crazy. For starters, we are closing the better performing and better stocked kiosk first. That will give me a week of sitting around at the lousy booth not making sales.

But before that, we start a close out sale at the about to close booth. ALL CALENDARS $5!!!!!!!!

Two problems:
1- it only applies at one kiosk. The other one is selling the same item for $2.50 more on their half off sale. Couple that with the no refund after the new year policy and we get angry shoppers. The quick solution was to tell the staff to not sell anything and send them to me. The owner wasost displeased about their lack of effort but it was their last day either way.

Problem 2- That $5 deal is not in the register system. Anything you try and ring up comes up at half price. The system has no direct price over ride so you have to deduce in your head how much it was originally then math out how much to deduct toaoe the damn thing $5. So when the machine says $7.49 that really means $14.99 and you are discounting $9.99. if they were all the same, no hassles but we have 9 different prices this year. (Lists were made but it was still a bog).

No idea how wacked it will get with the boss handling it the next two days.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 pm

salamanca wrote:No idea how wacked it will get with the boss handling it the next two days.

File that under "Not your problem?"

Oh who am I kidding?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Sooooooo much not my problem.

Hey, it was D&D day with the local rabble. Will post game thoughts in the game thread. But I got new dice today...

Not sure on the brand. The shop owner is mass buying and repackaging in bags with the store name on it. But if you image search "ancient dice sets bone color" it will jump right up.

1- the color schemes are awesome. Also a fan of the dark grey that look like stone.
2- they have real nice surface feel to them. It's like you ran over a new set with some fine sand paper or picked up a 60 year old chessex set that got a lot of use but never wore down.
3- they feel like they have just a shade more heft than your average plastic set. Just enough to notice but not enough to effect anything.
4- I opened the set, dropped it on the table and had 3 of 7 Max roll (including the d20) and that just instills confidence.
5- they kept rolling well.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:20 pm

So, in the last 24 hours, the boss...

- Refused to let a customer make a perfectly valid return for refund. Because he does not understand his own return policy. A policy that has not changed in the 16 years he has operated the franchise.

-Dismissed me as free to leave for the day. In a manner that hinted he one company and disconnected twas doing me a favor... 5 minutes after my shift ended because he was, as always, late.

- Gave me the wrong delivery window for the truck picking up the kiosk we closed last Sunday. As a result, the truck was here 2 hours before the employee who was working solely to cover the time it took me to load that truck. (wasting payroll)

-Failed to make a sale after I left last night.

- Called the phone company and disconnected the wrong phone number. Thus rendering us unable to make credit card sales for several hours ubtil we got it corrected yesterday.

-Failed to notify me that the 75% off sale started today. I got that memo from his son who runs another franchise for the company across town.

-Threw away the sale signs I had prepped to hang when the sale was projected to start. (good thing I stashed the extras from the booth we closed)

-Took home the tape to hang those signs up with.

-Brought back all that unrolled coin from last week and dumped it into the drawer without adjusting the starting cash. So I have no idea exactly what the drawer is at because I was not about to count 190 pennies again.

And I have only been here an hour and 20 minutes... no idea what else i may discover later on.

This does explain why he always looks tired. That is a lot of work to screw up.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:11 pm

TNT is currently showing Django Unchained.

I know this because the local restaurant had their TVs set to TNT for something and apparently the entire staff failed to notice that show ended at 7 and the brutally violent Tarrentino film started up.

The language was cleaned up but the bloodshed was in it's full glory...

On kids eat free night. Place is full of families. And apparently nobody complained because it was still on when I left. Well, time to cross watching a Tarrentino film at a restaurant off the bucket list.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:23 pm

Just got carded for trying to buy a Game of Thrones DVD set.

The clerk who was in her 30's could not determine for sure if I was over 17. Now, I am all in favor of hiring the blind but seriously?

She could have told me it was store policy toask everyone but she flat told me she wasn't sure. I told her I was only 16 and made her get the manager.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:53 am

Dave, have you considered that you might just be two sixteen year olds wearing a responsible adult suit?
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:36 am

I am 3 16 year olds now. That is why the adult suit is wider than the teenager suit.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:06 pm

I think I fell into a Time Warp this evening.

I was driving home just now and the classic rock DJ for Cleveland's classic rock station announces that he is giving away...

A copy of the Cleveland Rocks Compilation CD.

(Backstory for you folks from out of town)

The CD in question is a compilation of songs recorded by artists that were signed with Cleveland International Records between 1976 and 1983. They did a lot of Polka recordings but also had contracts with Ronnie Spector, Ian Hunter, Meat Loaf and several other Acts that fall into "one hit wonder status. All that rock music is on the disc.

Now, why is this thing a Time Warp?

Because I have owned this CD since 1995. And Cleveland International shut down 7 years ago when the founder died. And outside of the fans that already have it, demand isn't exactly high for this.

So I got home checked a few sites. Turns out the founder's son is restarting the label and reissuing the disc later this week. Nothing on the website but a couple of logo shirts which are pretty cool.
salamanca

Postby daundelyon » Thu May 02, 2019 6:19 pm

I'm reading a book on the history of gambling, which contains the following footnote regarding the Venetian Inquisition: Unlike their Spanish counterparts, this organization apparently never quite had the benefit of surprise, fear, or ruthless efficiency.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby salamanca » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:53 pm

So in an effort to have a carefree Origins, I have spent the last couple days with the car in the shop. Yesterday everything was good to go...until I drove home and lights start popping all over the dashboard. So after begging out of work early, I am back at the mechanic's shop. Apparently, the alternator they installed was faulty. Brand new bad part.

On the plus side, I have new friends named Tim, Dan, Eddie, Matt, Ralph, "Macguyver" and "The Professor". I have spent more time with them this week than everyone else I know...it may be Stockholm Syndrome.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 pm

X-Men Dark Phoenix...

Not the best of the X movies. But certainly better than X3, Apocalypse, Wolverine Origins, or the Original.

So it is watchable and entertaining if you have ant a strong story full of charactersaking the same mistakes they keep making throughout the series. It is wolverine free. They got cyclops right, nightcrawler right and Jean right. That is saying a lot after the lastovie.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:06 am

So, it looks like I am now done with that weak D&D campaign at the FLGS. The guy running it is planning one more session next month (which conflicts with my local renn faire commitments). After that, they are planning something new.

They are calling it "Super Mega D&D". Here are the details.
-they bought 3-D printers and will be making everyone a mini (selected from the files the bought).
- there will "probably" be some other stuff like a map or some terrain bits but they are not sure yet.
- same DM. But "better adventures".
-plans are for a hard limit of 8 players for the campaign. No jumping in and out as is convenient to you.
-plans are for 8 s ssions total.
-the group will decide on their starting level so this might be an entire Level 20 thing oraybe we start from scratch.
-they hope to raise attention with this and draw more people so instead of playing in the store gaming area, it will probably get played in the basement. (No idea how those two ideas work to their goal)
-if demand increases, there is no extra staff to run more groups. So players in the first campaign will probably get squeezed out of the second campaign to fairly offer other customers the chance to participate.
-the store owner's wife gets the first spot.
-since they have no idea what level the players will want, nothing has been written yet and from the last 18 months of dealing with these guys, I will bet there is minimal campaign arc story and ZERO personal character development in these adventures.

So where is the big catch in all this?

They are charging each player $80 to play 8 sessions. (Of around 5 hour duration)

That price has already eliminated the 4 players that were showing any sign of roleplaying development and 3 players who appear not to have any other positive social outlets.

But the 4 most irritating and useless players are all signed up already.

So I am most definitely out. Not because paying $10 a session is too much (but I'm this case it is). Not because there will be more 3-D printed stuff to buy on top of that price. Not because the people I most enjoy having at the table out there can't afford it (because I still don't like them enough to step up and run a separate game for them to replace this).

It's because Mark, Ken, Deb, Floyd, Ed Rollins, and Jason Haskins have set a bar for quality that these dudes can't touch. And no gaming may be better than bad gaming.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Seriously - "Super Mega D&D"?????

On a more serious note, sorry to hear that the game took this kind of a turn. It's a bummer that the handful that showed promise won't get to develop it (not that that's your responsibility). And I'm with you on the "not sure how this approach will help them achieve their goals". Playing in the basement is certainly not going to attract the interest of foot traffic in the store...

And you've set the bar pretty high yourself. I count myself lucky to sit at your table, my friend!
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Yeah... I can't say how good or bad a GM I really am. I have never had to deal with me as a player.

These guys just have zero outside their home group experience as GMs. So they are not picking up any new techniques. They are roll over Role as well which I outgrew a long time ago.

But the pet peeve is that every NPC (human, goblin or god) is named Steve, Jeff or Rick because thinking up a name is too hard.

But then I look at the 5th Ed. Published material and realize they are not getting any inspiration for creating new ideas from the source anymore.

The Ghosts of Saltmarsh book is literally an unchanged rewrite with new stat blocks. Nothing new or extrapolated from the original.

Meanwhile, the boardgame crew has started Too Many Bones which is like playing D&D as a tactical game with no roleplaying at all. It was an all around "all mechanics, minimal fun" day of gaming.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:53 am

Ran a couple business errands this morning.

Coming back through the tiny village I live in, I noticed the lone cop on duty this morning had his personal vehicle parked in front of the station (as usual in the handicapped spot) But today I noticed he has personalized plates...

"F DAVE".

His name is Bill so I guess we all know who will be extra cautious about traffic violations from here on out.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:39 am

Yesterday I discovered that hard way that I am now allergic to Bees.

And it wasn't a mild response.

Before anybody freaks out, I am currently fine and at work. No need to call, panic or fret over my well being.

One little sting over my eyebrow (I. downplaying this, it was a Hornet and that one sting hurt like hell) has resulted in hives and a rash over most of my body. It all itches I'm a maddening way.

Still better than the twitching caused by the even shrine at the urgent care.(somebody else drove, that sting literally blinded me for almost 40 minutes. )

Now I have self inflict needles should it happen again. So everything is fine.

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend you skip it.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:58 am

As long as you are okay dave.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Yeah, as soon as the swelling drops and I can get off the benedryl life will be fine. That antihistamine makes me all loopy.

And one of the renn faire Crafters went and made me a really cool belt pouch holster for the epi-pen so I even got gear out of the deal
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 pm

So, I was doing a little routine maintenance on a piece of equipment this morning and had a very minor mishap.

VERY Minor, as in "get a bandaid and it's fine".

The wrench slipped and I knocked my finger ON THE PROTECTIVE SHIELD designed to keep the operator from getting hurt.

Irony... I was replacing the old shield because it was getting a bit worn. Teach me to be proactive.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:48 pm

So i may have a new internet lurker hobby.

One of my customers is obsessed with buying stuff cheap on the internet and reselling it. He found d she me stuff he thought we could use (we looked, it was trashed equipment). But the site is national and ridiculous.

GovDeals.com. It is a site where government operations lists stuff they want to be rid of for auction. It is categorized and cross referenced and you can narrow searches to your area but one category caught my morbid interest...

"Confiscated, Forfeited, & Seized Property.

There are listings for stuff taken on drug raids like motorcycles but the real fun is when you start looking at the piles of stuff grabbed by the TSA. If you wonder just what people try to drag onto planes, just go browse the listings from Sacramento, CA. and Harrisburg, PA. Pennsylvania is very efficient, with stuff divided by brands. California just lists stuff like "23 pounds of tools".

I just want to know who tried to bring a claw hammer on an airplane.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters