The place for everything else.

Re: the Strangeness that is my life

Postby Jungen » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:18 pm

I hear Flash has a good running game...
-Jungen "Jack" von Richtoffen
Jungen

Postby salamanca » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Yep, and the cowboys are wasting him as a cornerback.

Strangely, Sportsmaster went through without being selected.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:30 pm

Guy ahead of me in line just asked for two tickets to see " batman vs me".
salamanca

Postby spizio » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:29 pm

salamanca wrote:Guy ahead of me in line just asked for two tickets to see " batman vs me".

The guy in front of you in line thinks you are Superman?
spizio

Postby salamanca » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:35 pm

I put it in quotes. Didn't say " Batman vs him"

Realized later I should have stepped up after and asked for "Superman vs. Me".
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sat May 21, 2016 7:10 am

So, while I was buying that high school yearbook with Superman's creator, I also got a couple Vintage Milton Bradley boardgames.

One is a complete copy of Pirate and Traveller where players travel a world map to reach destinations on cards (something like Ticket to Ride mixed with movement for Eldritch Horror). After the first player completes a number of trips, everybody turns pirate and tries to steal the cards from each other while racing to Greenland.

The other is called Summit and it is Cold War control of the world map. Like the building phase of Axis and Allies mashed onto Diplomacy. It is from 1961 and not simply complete, IT IS STILL SHRINK-WRAPPED! Whoever had this must have glanced at the rules in the box lid, decided it was too complex and never opened the cards and bits.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat May 21, 2016 9:03 pm

salamanca wrote:The other is called Summit and it is Cold War control of the world map..

I played Summit lots times. A friend got it for Christmas and we played most of the games with three players.

It does not work with three players! Two gang up on the third, then whichever of the two used fewer of his chips crushing the third usually won.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Sun May 22, 2016 7:08 am

Mike, was that ganged up on little boy you?
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun May 22, 2016 8:24 pm

Some of the time it was. Often it was the winner of the previous game. :D
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Cleveland paper listed an obituary today for a lady who passed away at the ripe age of 90. Nothing odd about that except one thing...

She is survived by her 108 year old Mother.

That is something you don't see every day.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:37 pm

It is 6:30 pm (ish) I have spoken face to face with a full 10% of my high school graduating class today and there was not any sort of organized gathering. Just random encounters.

Well, at least I don't owe any of them money.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 pm

Well for those of you that follow the comic animation adaptations, this week is the big release of DC comics "Batmna: The Killing Joke" as an animated movie.

Apparently, they needed to expand the short story and added an extended prologue story about Batgirl and a relationship with Batman that leads into the actual adaptation ( trying real hard not to spoil anything).

Turns out the whole thing didn't sit well with fans at Comic Con and the panel was hit with a lot of questions about misogyny and depicting Batgirl as weak.

And then Brian Azzarello snapped and called a guy that was there with Bleeding Cool a few choice words I shall not be repeating here.

And it turns out, he's a friend of mine... There will be no living with him after this.

Kind of a shame, I really wanted to enjoy this cartoon.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Today is Kevin Smith's 46th birthday. Go celebrate with a Mooby burger and some Chewlee's gum.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:39 pm

Holy crap, you cannot imagine the power one can harness with 250 "Hello My Name Is..." Sticker badges.

The local Renn faire has an "inner circle" of regulars that work extra hard to make sure things go well each day. Some are vendors, cast and exhibitors, some are patrons that help with whatever needs done and flesh out the cast in the streets. Of the 50 or so people that fit this group, 8 of us are named Dave. Needless to say, it means nicknames...Blue Dave, BeerPriest Dave, Pirate Dave, Red Dave, Pirate Dave, Barbarian Dave, and Pirate Dave (some of them are not very creative)

So for the last day My friend Tony and I filled out all those name tags I mentioned with the Name "Dave". ( Tony had the foresight to label about a dozen "Not Dave"). And we handed them out as an inside joke for the Dave's and the regulars we know.

It caught on like wildfire. People were asking about it. All the costumed regulars wanted a name tag and spent the day calling each other Dave. The civilians visiting for the only time all season got curious and started asking to be included. Walking the paths of the faire, complete strangers were totally in the spirit greeting each other as Dave.

Musicians were changing song lyrics to sing about Dave. (Somebody did the Ballad of Jayne from Firefly). They got a hold of some pens and made up their own Dave nicknames. ( In the meanwhile, the actual Daves all had their " not Dave badges labeled stuff like Joe and Bob).

The end of day and season Pub Sing became a Dave fest. While we ran out of stickers, they had started writing Dave on their chests in marker or finding scraps of paper to scribble it on. It was stupid and joyous and I cannot figure out why we didn't figure out this years ago.

Then, just before the show ended, this guy in his 60's walks up tome and greets me as Dave. Standard faire garb but I don't think I have seen him before. He's grinning and tells me that on his way to the show he was praying to God that he would make it here safely in his truck and that something fun would happen because he has been having a rough time this summer and needed something good to happen. He said he walked in the door and went to his friend's booth (at this point I realize he drove from Pittsburgh to be here in Ohio for the show).

Then he tells me that as soon as he got to the booth somebody slapped this name tag on h and it's been the most fun he has had in years calling everybody Dave.

Then some photographer started shouting for a group photo of Daves and we got about 25 people together ( last day has too many people distracted with goodbyes and packing up to garner more).

For the record, today name was "Todd". For no reason at all.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:05 pm

So I walked into the area "Irish sports bar/pub/restaurant" for a late dinner after the clerk at the video store stalled me for almost an hour asking comic book questions (lesson learned, I am not longer wearing comic book t shirts in mundane stores).

So back to dinner, I figure there will be a crowd because the baseball game is on but it won't be packed because high school football is in season. Traffic in the lot says I am right. I walk in... They have a live band tonight. And they are playing a Poison cover...this bodes I'll but I am here and I'm sure to have seen worse.

That's when I realize the entire place is full of people betweeny age and Charlie's. Not a soul under 40 except the staff. (Very odd for this place) and it's all couples. No groups of guys or girls, everybody is here as a pair. (Really weird for this place).

The waitress seats me in a booth that is normallyiddle of the room but they have removed all the tables between me and the stage so I'm in the front row. And I finally look over to see who the hell is playing "Talk dirty to me"... Seems they are called "Almost Famous"

And they are not just a cover band. They are a cover band that dresses up like famous rock stars. So we have this lead singer that I still haven't figured out. Best description would be Guy Fiery dressed as Billy Idol. The promo pics had him in a Devo jumpsuit so who the hell knows what he is going for. The guitarist is a scrawny pasty white guy with a beaky nose dressed as Slash from Guns and Roses. The outfit is dead on bit this guy has no swagger to carry the look. The bass player looks like somebody dressed Dave Foley as Angus Young from AC/DC. And the drummer looked like Kurt Russell's version of Elvis.

And for the entire time I was there, not a single cover was played of anything to match those outfits. They did stuff from The Cars, Buckcherry, Credence, John Cougar and the Cure of all things but no GnR, or AC/DC.

And then, just to make it really awkward, a squad of empty nest ladies sauntered out and formed a dance circle between me and the stage. I had hoped to never see another bad 80's dance circle again.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:11 am

Ok, not mine, just regional weirdness today.

The city of Cleveland is looking to rename part of Cedar Rd (one of the more significant streets running from the Eastside to downtown) after famous boxing promoter Don King.

Now, Mr. King is a Cleveland native and it makes some sense for the city to honor one of their own who went on to be such a significant contributor in his sport. Except for one small thing...

Back in 1966, Don King BEAT a man to death on Cedar Rd. Over a $600 debt.

You read that correctly, Don King kicked a man to death on the street they want to name in his honor. This isn't something that was covered up or denied by King.

Sure adds a second meaning to "Don King Way" if they go through with it.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:16 pm

"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Ok, my cousin's daughter is in her mid 20's. She and the boyfriend have went out and got themselves a pitbull. The dog seems to be well behaved and I am cool with it and doubt it will be a problem.

But they named the dog "Asap".
And now you ask why...

Because the person who has the dog sent her boyfriend a text reading, "You need to come get this dog, A.S.A.P.". And the boyfriend assumed the dog was named "asap".

Someday we hope to have the technology to teach the lad abbreviations. In the meantime, there is comedy in watching someone shout, "come here, asap!" at a dog.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Day two at the mall and weirdness already.
70 is woman bought a calendar. She went to the food court and ate. Apparently, she left the calendar and walked off.

Once she realized this, she went back and it was gone. (She effectively lost it in the span of 30 minutes)

And then she came back to me expecting replacement or reimbursement.

Failing that, if I see someone walking around with one of our bags she wants me to tackle and them for it.

I'm baffled.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:22 am

At the risk of triggering Mark's annual "retail has ruined Christmas" rant early, I have the following announcement:

Santa will arrive at my mall on OCTOBER 30th this year.

That's right, the big man is now stealing Halloween and Thanksgiving.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Just had a too long conversation with a mall wanderer that culminated in his revealing that he was wearing a hat he had lined with lead to keep the radiation out ( both solar and directed psychic).

Can't say it surprised me. Didn't have the heart to point out the lead poisoning would cause just as much damage.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:58 pm

I managed to keep it under wraps until I just re-read it now...

salamanca wrote:Santa will arrive at my mall on OCTOBER 30th this year.

That's right, the big man is now stealing Halloween and Thanksgiving.
Attachments
72252443.jpg
72252443.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 35420 times
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Well, good news, he is pushed back to the 4th of November.

In other news, we have a Bloom County calendar... it's listed as a "destinations" category not a humor. (So the office staff thinks it's a place like "England" or "Hawaii" or "Las Vegas"). Strangely, the box calendar is in store available should I want to stock it but the wall is "special request" so I need to list a name and number for every copy order. Typically, thiseans they don't have a stockpile of these to send out a stack to every store.

Also weird, the David Bowie calendar showed up. It is sitting right above Taylor Swift. The angles on the covers and several images make them look incredibly similar. Same nose shape, jawlines, eye shape, skinny build, etc. And now my head is creating soundtracks of Bowie singung break up songs.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:45 am

Id buy that album.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:17 pm

Someone just handed me a bottle of mountain dew that is orange in color.

The flavor is named "Mango Heat".

Mango flavored mountain dew is a thing and it is glorious!
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters