the Strangeness that is my life

The place for everything else.

Re: the Strangeness that is my life

Postby daundelyon » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:41 am

I went to the website. Theme weekends are "coming soon." Backpedaling so fast they leave scorch marks.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:25 am

Nope, that was up on the website. In typical fashion, they tossed it on Facebook first.

I think their best season effort ever was the website that didn't get updated for 2 seasons. And the cast member they were using for advertising had quit with a lot of acrimony the year before and was not going to be back.

And i am still betting they will still use the theme.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby daundelyon » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:27 am

salamanca wrote:
I think their best season effort ever was the website that didn't get updated for 2 seasons. And the cast member they were using for advertising had quit with a lot of acrimony the year before and was not going to be back

My nursing school had a picture on the brochure of a guy in my class, who at the time of printing had failed the license exam three times.
"He used the Force!"
daundelyon

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Well, if you saw that image of all the guys huddled together with their mugs raised...

That is a time worn local tradition where one of the regular customers gathers a bunch of like minded drunks for a beer blessing. The beer blessing is a recital of a beer themed variation on the Lord's Prayer. It is more than a tad sacreligious but they do it at least once every weekend if not once a day.

The guy doing said blessing is behind that mass of bodies and has sworn to never return if the theme is not changed.

That image is also relevant to Altamira. The drunk Avalon expatriate that is always in Eladio's tavern is based on the guy wearing the kilt and pink shirt.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 am

Working the counter at the golf course this morning.

Guy shows up for his golf league. He puts on a mask to walk up and pay at the window. (I really like the window, it really reduces my hassles.)

Anyhow, i am thinking we finally have a polite customer who gets it.

Then he opens his mouth and blurts out a racist comment as a "joke" to cover his wearing a mask and my regard for him has vanished. He's just another jerk i will be delighted to take money awat from.

Then he PULLS DOWN THE MASK AND LICKS HIS FINGERS TO SEPARATE THE MONEY IN HIS WALLET!

Seriously?!!!

Again, i am now rooting for the virus.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:18 pm

*shifty look right* *shifty look left* I may or may not have higher hopes for the virus then has come to pass. I have accepted that I am therefor, continuing to be a horrible person.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:19 pm

So, after 5 days of Origins posts, i decided to reconnect with the world and read the sunday paper. Turns out covid has left the paper with nothing to discuss so they wrote an article on a rock concert held in 1979.

Cleveland loves it's rock music. But there are shows and then there are shows and then there was the "World Series of Rock".

70's Cleveland Rock is dominated by 2 things: Promoter Jules Belkin and WMMS.

Belkin made himself a legend by building acts up from his small venue clubs to stadium level shows while showering his performers in amenities and fat checks.

WMMS "broke" every major act of the late 60's and early 70's. Rush, Bowie, Springsteen, ACDC, Journey, etc, etc.

When they teamed up, people filled stadiums and bands begged to be part of it. (Including the Rolling Stones)

So, the World Series in '79 was an all day concert in the football stadium. No assigned seating. Well over 100,000 people. And the only restriction on alcohol is that it can't be in the original container so fill that gallon milk jug with moonshine and let's rock!

There were fights. There were straight up physical assaults. Gang violence, robberies, excessive drug usage, and property damage. It was bad enough, they pretty much stopped doing the shows. But what a line up to go out on.

I have teased long enough.

Co-headliner, Ted Nugent carried the show by all acounts. This is Ted in his rockstar heyday, not crazy hunter, political landmine Ted you know today. The band was on fire from the reviews of the show. And that is good because the other big act was not.

Co-headliner Aerosmith had some troubles. Jane Scott reported the set as being bad and full of problems. Jane is Cleveland's most loved rock reporter ever. Jane always found something good to talk about and the bands loved her for it. If Jane's review of Aerosmith was bad she means Uwe Boll levels of awful. Legend has it Steven Tyler snorted a 7 foot line of coke the night before and botched the lyrics of every song. The band's wives were in a fistfight with each other backstage. It was so bad, Joe Perry quit the band for over 4 years at the end of the show.

So what was good in the show (besides Ted)?

The opening and mid acts.

-Journey right after their first album with Steve Perry.

-the Scorpions on their first American tour. They were so excited they ran over their alloted time by 6 songs.

-AC/DC with Bon Scott. Recording the performance for a video release in Australia. The review say the performance was amazing.

-Thin Lizzy on one of the last tours before Phil Lynott died.

They should have skipped the headliners...
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:32 pm

Yesterday, the neighbor to the south secided that it would be a great day to enjoy liberty and his pursuit of happiness like a "true american".

So he spent the day target shooting to orepare for when "they" come for him. (You know "they", the nebulous, can't really manage to describe, not real group the speaker is offended by)

So, yesterday, from 12:07 pm until about 4:20 pm there was the soubd of gunfire in the air. Steady, regular shots interspersed with manly rapid fire emptying of clips. He must have had a couple friends over because there was no pausing for reload time let alone letting guns cool down. (Mind you he has an arsenal to stop "them" [also known as "they"])

So, not to be outdone, the guy that is North of the Property decided Today would be a great day to prepare himself for the same. He and the wife are even more paranoid about "they" but less macho so there has been no rapid fire interruptions to the steady gun fire for 2 and a half hours. This couple has, apparently, found themselves a cannon or something because every 25 minutes or so instead of bang....bang....bang....bang.... there is a BOOM!

Meanwhile, i have a league full of PTSD vietnam and iraq vets trying to play golf in the middle of this.

It's a Great Day!
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 am

Age is not a number. Other factors determine you age more than a number. I don't care about numbers, never have. I don't care about Birthdays, never really celebrated them even as a kid, the birthday party was pretty much just extended family and we saw them all the time anyhow.

I am talking about those milestones that tell you you have entered a new stage of life.

The step towards independence when you het your driver's license, your first job, completing your education, first apartment, first house, marriage, having kids, etc.

Some of us hit them earlier than others, some shuffle them into weird orders or skip some all together.

But if you live in America, there is one that has become as inescapable as death and taxes. It will smeal up on you and tell you that time is slipping away and your youth is over.

Yesterday, I was sent an unsolicited AARP card in the mail.

I am officially old.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am

I will never have this joy as my father, when I turned 30, thought it would be funny to forward my name onto them. I have been getting them for years.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:26 am

Just legally filled out my will last week.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Today marks the first day of my 38th year working my job.

Yep, same job since 1983. So, what were the rest of you doing in '83?
salamanca

Postby cpugs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:38 pm

83 I am in the middle of my graduate degree in Biomedical Engineering.
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:19 pm

salamanca wrote:So, what were the rest of you doing in '83?

Unless I miss my guess, this would be about the time I could actually have a job, so that'd be my very first one, gas station attendant. Not like Ken who gets to stay inside, oh no. We had one gas station in town that had full service so when it rained everyone paid a bit more to stay dry. It wasn't horrible, but nothing I really have to make it stand out.

Though now that I think about it, I bet I can still find it on google maps (assuming it's still there). Found it. It's now a BP.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:23 pm

Being the pariah of grade school :(
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby kenderleech » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:49 pm

I was 2. So im pretty sure my life was Mr rogers and Sesame street.
kenderleech

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:05 am

By 1983 I had been graduated from high school for 3 years, had moved to Massachusetts, and was working for the Emergency Room billing office in a hospital.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:47 am

I should not have asked this question... i just realized one person I know has no answer because his date of birth is still 3/4 of a year away, but his parents certainly do.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:41 pm

I was a sophomore in high school, and most of my spare time was eaten up by choir, drama club, and soccer.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:34 am

Nothing stands out in 1983 for me.

I had been 'camped out' in my inner city 8-flat since 1979, had been attending Origins, GenCon, and other game cons for years, had been working at my government job since 1970, had been going to school since 1952, and lots of other strange stuff in between.
Sister Sonya

Postby daundelyon » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:38 am

Enjoying preschool and my new baby sister.
"He used the Force!"
daundelyon

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 am

daundelyon wrote:Enjoying preschool and my new baby sister.

I read this out of context and wondered A) if you'd changed vocations and B) if Ken coming to LARP was really a front for something much, um, different...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:27 am

That is because you never heard what she did to her old baby sister... her parents had to get her a new one.
salamanca

Postby MacShidhe » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
daundelyon wrote:Enjoying preschool and my new baby sister.

I read this out of context and wondered A) if you'd changed vocations and B) if Ken coming to LARP was really a front for something much, um, different...

I feel like I should say something but I got nothing
MacShidhe

Postby kenderleech » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:06 pm

See you at Larp!
kenderleech

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters