Work in progress... character generator

The place for everything else.

Work in progress... character generator

Postby burlarse » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Ok, so I was bored for a few hours and seeing as how there doesn't seem to be a good character generator for 7th Sea, I figured I'd take a stab at it.

UPDATE 03/06: Added Advantages and some of Sorcery, printable page no longer shows 0-pip skills and skill/advantage selection boxes.

Here is my character (well, part of it)

To add pips in a knack or trait, just click on it. it will cycle through your options
black pips are "freebies", blue pips were bought with hp, and orange pips were bought with xp. it tries to be clever about knacks that are in more than one of your skills. it will combine pips until you reach 3 (because after you create characters, new skills don't combine knacks anymore)

it's nowhere near done... stuff that still needs to happen is
  • put in support for weird skills/knacks (only allow certain nations or 'select only 1 basic knack' etc)
  • swordsman schools (lots of typing to get the skills, etc in)
  • advantages (lots of typing...)
  • backgrounds (lots of typing...)
  • languages
  • the eisen armor thing
  • magic
  • xp spending
  • nice printable page (to get rid of all the non-purchased knacks, at least)
  • well, nice anything page... it's pretty plain right now

if you're bored, give it a try:
http://ruinedkingdoms.com/altamira/characters/
Last edited by burlarse on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burlarse

Re: Work in progress... character generator

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:52 pm

WOW someone is angling for some extra xp... so far that looks great.

I see what you mean by 'cycle through' if I try to click on the third pip for example I can't just automatically go there, I have to click it twice (or once if it's the bonus trait)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Btw, would you mind if I moved and stickied this? (not to mention, giving it some press on Revenants and AEG's websites) I'm certain folks could use a good character generator.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby burlarse » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:24 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:I see what you mean by 'cycle through' if I try to click on the third pip for example I can't just automatically go there, I have to click it twice (or once if it's the bonus trait)

Do you think having the multiple click thing is too cumbersome? I could do it by clicking on the pips, but the pips are small and aiming might be a problem for some folks.

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Btw, would you mind if I moved and stickied this? (not to mention, giving it some press on Revenants and AEG's websites) I'm certain folks could use a good character generator.

Sure, I don't mind. I probably won't have too much time to work on it again until the weekend, tho (pesky work thing). One cool thing about having the data in a machine-readable form (which I had to do in order to work on the generator) is you get to have dynamic tables like this: http://ruinedkingdoms.com/altamira/characters/skills.php
which you can filter on any of the fields (at the top).

One thing to note is that I'm just going off of the Crystal Keep PDFs (as I only have the PH). I've noticed a few inconsistencies... for instance: in the basic book, pg 25 says Archaeologist gets Occult as a basic knack but pg 33 says Occult is advanced for Archaeologist. Also found at least one case (can't think of it right now) where Skills and Knacks disagreed on the existence of a knack for a skill.

(sorry, I'm a business analyst/programmer/data miner for a day job so these kinds of things stick out to me)
burlarse

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:15 am

Not combersome, just different. I initially clicked it thinking it would automatically go to three, and was confused for a second, until I fiddled with it. Once I figured it out, it was fine.

Consider them spread to the regular 7th Sea forums!

Yea, one of the problems with the CK pdfs is some things are wrong and they mix and match official rules, unofficial rules (culled from the old, old, days of the 7th Sea mailing list), and house rules. I have everything (and I do mean everything) so if there is some question feel free to post it/email me. I'm a writer so I have no life ;) and for the record, p. 25 is correct (Arrow of Heaven, an adventure, has it). In general if there's a discrepancy, assume pp 25-26 are correct.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:07 pm

I like it. works good so far and is far better than any of the previous attempts that have vanished from memory.

Obviously, it needs a completion with languages and advantages but it's off to a good start.

One recommendation, add a method of changing the starting HP amount. It will make it more useful for the campaigns like HOA that use a higher starting number.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby burlarse » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:14 pm

salamanca wrote:I like it. works good so far and is far better than any of the previous attempts that have vanished from memory.

Thanks!
salamanca wrote:One recommendation, add a method of changing the starting HP amount. It will make it more useful for the campaigns like HOA that use a higher starting number.

It actually doesn't "count down" on HP, it counts up. So basically, you stop when you're done (the total reaches whatever number you were told to stop at). Nothing stops someone from spending 132 HP (or only 98 HP), for example, but it will be noted on their character sheet :-)
burlarse

Postby burlarse » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Consider them spread to the regular 7th Sea forums!

Thanks! I found the two places (at least) that you posted them to and am linking them so I can find them again :-) They are at Revenant's and AEG
burlarse

Return to Mundane Matters