Apparently its KIND OF a big deal...

The place for everything else.

Apparently its KIND OF a big deal...

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:38 pm

I've heard not a single sentence today that didn't involve one of the following words, "Drink", "Green", "Paddy", "Punch", or "Erin" (assuming that's actually a word and not a name). But surprisingly, I've yet to hear the word "Snakes*"

So Happy St. Patty's Day to all our resident Irish decendents. Now, somebody get me some corned beef and cabbage.

*feel free to insert you own "Snakes on a Plane" joke here.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Apparently its KIND OF a big deal...

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:05 pm

I've got Poteen! :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby spizio » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 am

spizio

Postby salamanca » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:08 pm

See, and I got friends that insisted, INSISTED, on having corned beef. They were so dumb as to suggest going to the shopping center bar with the Irish name. (which I wisely pointed out would be out and out stupid to do on this particular day)

Instead we ended up at this nasty little diner across from the Walmart. The waitress looked at me in shock when I ordered off the menu and ignored the corned beef special. She is standing there stammering, "but it's Saint Patrick's day... you have to have corned beef."

Opportunity like this does not fall every day (unlike the corned beef which is on the regular menu) I start out loudly in my Boondock Saints accent. "Well, who cares about that. Do I look Irish ta ya?"

I am not making up what followed. She actually responded that I sounded Irish.

My friend, Greg, is pretty much not noticing what is going on as usual. My pal, Chris, is doing all he can to not bust out laughing.

The waitress is still buying the whole pitch. And I'm running my mouth through every stereotype I can think of while ordering a Gyro.

Then the waitress tells me I'm the first person she ever met from Ireland and that I have to celebrate my holiday. (seriously, I cannot believe how slow-witted she was at this point and am thinking of changing the order for fear she can't spell gyro) I have to go all in on this one. I ask her one more question.

"Well, lass do I sound Catholic? Cuz, St. Paddy's day is a catholic holiday and I'm quite certain I got nae a drop o' catholic blood in me."

She is starting to think on that and Greg suddenly enters the conversation out of nowhere (and still oblivious to the fact that I'm running my mouth with a fake accent)

"Of course your not Catholic, you're a Christian." *

I swear that would have broken me right there if we had not had this discussion in the past. So I just gesture at Chris (who has had that discussion with Greg many times) as if I was resting my case. The waitress takes this nugget as the final word on it and apologizes for suggesting the corned beef.

After she wanders to the kitchen, Chris points out I have to maintain the accent until we leave. Greg mentions he was wondering why I was talking funny and thought maybe I needed some water for my throat. We ate, it was pretty meh in terms of quality and I made sure we tipped her well. (half because of the chaos but mostly because Greg is notoriously cheap as a tipper)

And this is why I normally stay home on holidays.

* Strangely, Greg and a couple other guys we know actually cannot grasp the concept that Catholics are, in fact, a Christian faith. For some reason, they believe that it's a completely distinct religion with a totally different deity.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:45 pm

* Strangely, Greg and a couple other guys we know actually cannot grasp the concept that Catholics are, in fact, a Christian faith. For some reason, they believe that it's a completely distinct religion with a totally different deity.

Well, its probably because instead of talking to God through Jesus, they talk to God through his mother Mary, and if your friend is "Baptist" or related type, Catholism is quite an opposite type of religion, and I've been to both kinds of services, and yeah, it does seem totally "different" in its ways.

Meanwhile, that poor poor waitress, she never stood the chance the minute you started, lol.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:10 pm

that's the funniest part. Greg was raised Catholic. and he doesn't refer to it as a Christian religion.

The boy ain't right. (in a lot of ways)

And regardless of method of ceremony, service or whatnot, it's all the same core faith. Talking with these guys, they split them as firmly as they would Muslims or Hindus.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:29 pm

Well as a non-Christian you at least know it is Paddy and not Patty. http://paddynotpatty.com/ Maybe we can convert you to Catholicism?
spizio

Postby salamanca » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:04 pm

No chance, they hold weekly meetings. Not into meetings.
salamanca

Postby DiscoKittie » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:38 pm

salamanca wrote:No chance, they hold weekly meetings. Not into meetings.

And there's that whole cannibalistic bit, too. *shivers* Ew. Sure they say it's only symbolic... But still!!
end of line
DiscoKittie

Return to Mundane Matters