Gaming and More Gaming!

The place for everything else.

Re: Gaming and More Gaming!

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 am

So, in one of our weekly 5e D&D games, two of us at the table now have "cohorts" (not entirely sure if that's the technical term).

The twisted-dwarf paladin has a semi-experienced rogue that he is responsible for (since he recruited him). I, on the other hand, have a slightly goofy, completely inexperienced wanna-be warrior type. Basically, he was crushing on my bard a bit, and bought her a fairly expensive drink. In the course of the ensuing conversation, it comes to light that he has a map that I believe is the location of the "Forsaken Dungeon of Sorrows" (and no, I did not make up the name). Long story short, he's tagging along with us till we can go in search of the dungeon. He's never been adventuring, but has read up on the subject. So now I feel responsible for his safety....

Kicker is that he was a randomly generated NPC that Floyd added to the session about 5 minutes before we started. And apparently, my dice REALLY like this guy - I pretty consistently rolled better for him than I did for myself. Should be interesting to see if I can manage to keep him alive. ;)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Monthly game fell through (host's wife is sick, so none of us want to get it). So trying to organize a little something at home tomorrow) either boardgames or maybe pathfinder.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:21 pm

Boardgame recommendation:

Photosynthesis. Jeremy picked it up and we tried it today.

It is incredibly simple to learn and teach, has no cards to read for those of us with old eyes, really cool 3-D cardstock trees as playing pieces and a quick learning curve for strategy.

The strategy curve is really quick. We played 2 games and game 2 felt like there were 4 entirely different people making the choices and plays.

Pretty good for a game where you are just placing trees and growing them to cut down for points while growing more trees.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:36 pm

CaitlinCallahan wrote:Kicker is that he was a randomly generated NPC that Floyd added to the session about 5 minutes before we started. And apparently, my dice REALLY like this guy - I pretty consistently rolled better for him than I did for myself. Should be interesting to see if I can manage to keep him alive. ;)

Seems like he might need to keep you alive.

When we play 5E we always use the standard arrays.
spizio

Postby spizio » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:38 pm

salamanca wrote:Boardgame recommendation:

Photosynthesis. Jeremy picked it up and we tried it today.

It is incredibly simple to learn and teach, has no cards to read for those of us with old eyes, really cool 3-D cardstock trees as playing pieces and a quick learning curve for strategy.

The strategy curve is really quick. We played 2 games and game 2 felt like there were 4 entirely different people making the choices and plays.

Pretty good for a game where you are just placing trees and growing them to cut down for points while growing more trees.

Based on your general, non-arborial, requirements go get Azul. Preferably the original and not the new Sintra version.
spizio

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:45 pm

And slowly my campaign sloughs towards Armageddon...
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:38 pm

I have Azul.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:53 am

Gaming today. Not sure if it will be boardgames* or giving Laura/Eric/Jen a chance to play through one of last year's HoA games (none of them played so they're a year behind. Will be fun when Laura has to run those two at TotalCon next week).

*wife really wants it to be boardgames because she got boardgames last week and is jonsing for another boargame day.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:22 am

Supposed to have a game tomorrow (Shadowrun at the FLGS) but there's also supposed to be a storm with some accumulated snow (1-3 overnight and an additional 3-5 tomorrow). We'll see how that goes. And on Sunday, Pathfinder!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:11 pm

And thus Armageddon comes to Theah. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. 5+ years on this particular plotline with the world's most passive player.

I'm tired and now taking a much needed break from the GM chair.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Lady Grace wrote:And thus Armageddon comes to Theah. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. 5+ years on this particular plotline with the world's most passive player.

I'm tired and now taking a much needed break from the GM chair.

But the important question is, did you have fun running it?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:12 pm

Honestly?

I was more frustrated than anything. If the player in question actually embraced a [MEEP]ing side, be it good or evil, it would have been more fulfilling. Instead, she chose to do nothing and never questioned anything, so it's hollow for me as a GM. Even when I had my entity gloat (the Daevis from 2nd Edition have now entered my world, though I'm not switching over), it never seemed to filter through to her that she was responsible for it even through her own inactions.

(Took your advice to the bitter end, Sal)

Another player loved it. Mike (crimsonjoe) understood my frustrations though. When we get back to me as GM ( I really need a break GMing), I've offered her the choice to create a new character. If she doesn't, she will start with -29 reputation (and legitimate people of any faith + supernatural entities will KNOW what she's done in effing up the world). She will need to actively atone her for her lack of actions. She crosses past -30 rep, I take the character away as an NPC.

I don't have much faith right now. Other player thinks she can persevere past this. Geek Social Fallacies all over again -- no one wants to be the bad guy and say This IS WRONG. We'll see. I'm taking a damn break from GMing for now.

(Also, I'm buzzed on an entire bottle of sparkling wine right now)

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:28 pm

So sorry to hear that LG. I can empathize. Had a couple of players who want the adventure spoon fed to them rather than actively engaging the plot. So frustrating since they're taking some of the enjoyment away from me.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:12 am

Forgot to tell you all about this from last Sunday, but I played my first game of John Carter of Mars (by Modiphius Games). Very simple resolutions just need 2d20 (though having 5 is helpful) and around 6d6. All your stats/skills are a combination of just two stats. Need to convince someone to follow you? You could use Cunning and Empathy if you were trying to create a lie that went along with their preconceived beliefs. Or you could use Passion and Empathy if you were trying to appeal to their patriotism, etc. Add those two stats together and that's what you have to roll below on a d20. Each d20 is separate so you count up the successes. Voila.

Of course there's more to it but it was great fun. I highly recommend it.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Phew, lots of not gaming this past couple of weeks. Came down with the flu just after getting back home and it socked me out! I even forgot a game I was supposed to run today. Truth is, I'm still not 100% so I bowed out. Hopefully I will be well enough to just sit at the table tomorrow. Pathfinder is back and I get to play all of 2 weeks before family vacations come around.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby vogelsong » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:08 am

Well, it's now official... one week from Friday I'll be sitting in the GM seat for the first time ever. It will be a one-shot adventure with a small group I've gamed with for two and a half decades. Seems like baby steps but right now it feels like a cannonball off the high board.
vogelsong

Postby kenderleech » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:53 pm

remember the three most important rules.

Fun is more important then any rule

there are no rules

Cheat anyways.

You got this.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:52 pm

Yeah, the trick is to never say no. Just say yes and make the result whatever seems the most entertaining at the moment.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:04 am

Also, as a GM, you're entitled to have fun too.

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:41 pm

THAT is a lie.

Unless you have fun via torturing your friends... In that case, yeah, you will have fun.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am

Actually gamed with the local group yesterday! WOOO! We did the pathfinder game we've been working at for some time now. Plan is to try and finish it up in Aug/Sept so we can move on to Pathfinder 2nd Ed (Eric is chomping at the bit to give it a whirl).

As for Brass & Steel, I am hoping that after con season my brain will come back so I can devise more awful stuff for them (been in kind of a rut, unable to come up with campaigns rather than one shot adventures).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby crimsonjoe » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:26 am

From today's "Friendship is Dragons":

Speaking from recent personal experience, when you've been the diplomancer your entire career, sometimes you gotta see what it's like to be the agent of chaos for a change.

Yep.... yep...
crimsonjoe

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Finally got the inspiration I was looking for! Good Brass & Steel game today. Have them on the right track and ready to get this game truly started. And as a bonus, it seems the players liked this direction! We'll see if they continue to be on board :D

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 am

So, I might be running a 5th ed D&D game for some newbies online... :shock:

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Wendy's, the hamburger chain, has released a 100 page RPG using d20 mechanics. It is titled "Feast of Legends" and has you defending "Freshtovia" from the Ice Jester and the King in the Paper Crown.

I may need to set aside my "hat of d02" and run this next June.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters