Gaming and More Gaming!

The place for everything else.

Re: Gaming and More Gaming!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:26 am

Oh forgot to mention boardgaming was fun this past Sunday. Lost in RoboRally (a rarity for me), but beat the pants off everyone in Compounded.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Had to give my group The Talk today about too many poop jokes, killing the mood and no-selling during serious plot lines at the table. I think they finally got it as they had to delve into the family crypt of a long-dead Fate Witch in a swamp outside Bessarion for a missing relic.

Nothing like crypt ghouls and an Unraveled to greet them on their quest. And poor Mike kept succeeding his Perception checks. Which meant he kept hearing the voices of the dead.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Lady Grace wrote:... no-selling during serious plot lines at the table...

Don't think I'm familiar with that term.
Lady Grace wrote:...poor Mike kept succeeding his Perception checks. Which meant he kept hearing the voices of the dead...

I love turning the tables and making failure more appealing than success :twisted:
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:47 pm

Just got back from Disney last night, in order to game today. It was the beginning of our new campaign using Tales from the Loop (think 80s movies meets high tech science). The kids had their first day of summer, and managed to find a mystery to get involved with. A strange silverish substance floating in their favorite swimming hole. THEN the strange, mentally handicapped man who seemed to know them (whom they found floating in the silverish substance). We'll see where this all goes next week...

Fun extra Megan's little sister (whom I haven't seen for quite some time) made a surprise visit and sat in on the game with us.

Next week, it's bonanza weekend. Saturday is the start of my FLGS Shadowrun game (set in the Boston sprawl of course), then onto more TftL on Sunday.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:03 pm

WARNING! TV TROPES LINK AHEAD!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoSell

One of my players is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooooooooooo silly. Too over the top and jokey and it's been annoying me. Especially when he's making fart jokes All. The. Time.

The speech did help though as one of the other players texted me afterwards thanking me about keeping the mood of the crypt serious. He also wondered if I was practicing the voice of my Unraveled before... :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:47 pm

"No Selling" is a rasslin' term. It involves one of the wrestlers refusing to pretend the blows being dealt are actually hurting them.

Sometimes it is to make the opponent look bad, sometimes it is to make the not selling wrestler look mighty and immune. Hulk Hogan at the end of his matches would be an example.

In Grace's game it would be the player missing a fear check and refusing g to play scared.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:20 pm

Whooooo, Tabletop Day!

Got in a game of Mystic Vale (not sure I like it. Never even had a chance to buy a card that scored points), Android Mainframe (simple but fun), Celestia (dice and bluffing, love it), Mutant Meeples (puzzle solving routes, not my strong skill), Traders the of Osaka (straight from shrinkwrap, rules study may change my opinion but it was unimpressive), and Firefly (the big board game version). Meanwhile, the hardcore gamers got in 5 whole turns of Twilight Imperium. ( That game is just too damn long for its own good) They were in hour 8 and heading for 9 when I left.

Better still, good food and friends I don't see more than twice a year. Could have gotten 3 more games in if we we're not catching up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 am

Boardgames this week. Played Visitor. Lots of fun. Players solved it really quick when I was the Visitor, but they didn't know what the rule was.

Also played a pirate-themed game whose name escapes me at the moment.

Next week Megan, Scott, and I are going up to NH for The One Ring.

Then it's back to our regular schedule and Pathfinder.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Nutmeg_25 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:03 am

You forgot about Pigment at boardgames!
http://nanowrimo.org/widget/MyMonth/megsong23.png
Nutmeg_25

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 30, 2018 12:01 am

Pathfinder was this past week. But we had a lot of paperwork to handle. Hopefully more adventuring next week.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 am

More adventuring, but I had to take a little break in the middle because David forgot to take his anti-seizure medication and guess what? But fortunately once my bard begins singing there's little I really need to do to keep it going.

Next week, we finish pathfinder for this month, and immediately after I have to go pick my mom up from the airport (she comes out to help Jenny when I head to origins).

After that will be a BIG break from gaming, one or more of us will be missing for the next two months so we won't get back to gaming until mid September. So until then its a whole lot of boardgames and maybe catching Megan up with the MCU. (she's missed out on GotG1, GotG2, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, and Infinity War)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 am

Two of my players now have Obligation 3 to a Villanova.
One has Obligation 3 to the O'Bannon.
The last one is Mike's PC -- who is blissfully unaware of all the merda the others have gotten into in his absence.

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:38 pm

I love the sound of the LG. Obligation to Giovanni. Just brings a smile to my face :twisted: (yep, just like that)

As for our group, we finished up this month's Pathfinder with an attack of plague zombies that kicked the crap out of both our barbarians. I will miss gaming, but a good break always recharges my batteries. So there's that.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:23 am

The highlight for me was a totally improvised line from me when Soledad (a nun) was whining and hemming & hawing.

"You've already pledged yourself to a higher power, Signora...what's one more?"

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:51 am

Working on a one-shot for the Re-fried Gamers (the reformed KFG which has retained the name but not running games anymore). I think this will be great fun.

NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E. in "The Next Wave"

So I'm using the NextWave characters (if you haven't read the comic you must, great fun, written by Warren Ellis just after he got done with the Authority) It's all the style of The Authority without any of the thought, substance and seriousness.

The heroes have gone on to be reformed (they disbanded before the beginning of Issue 1) by C.H.I.D.E. the Central Headquarters for Investigation of Differential Enhancements* after a very harrowing mission (which is top secret, forcing the players to never speak of it again). They begin dealing with all the very worst named and lamest superheroes/villains of the Marvel Universe (The Whizzer, Lady Stilt-Man, Elektro (no not the Spider-Man villain, he has an electric starfish on his face for god's sake! Sheesh.), Leather Boy, Asbestos Lady, Paste-Pot Pete, etc.) all are mad because they've never gotten the respect they deserve.

Turns out they're all being duped by C.H.I.V.E. (who are angry their entire operating budget will fit in C.H.I.D.E.s "Hookers and Blow" discretionary fund with room to spare). They've used their resources to uplift several species of plant, forming their new C.H.I.V.E. Army, broccoli spearheaded by the vegetable-based clone of Dirk Anger the former director of H.A.T.E. and arch-nemesis of NextWave. He used the technology to gamma-irradiate more vegetables, creating Hulkale ("You wouldn't like it when it's angry, or any other time, frankly."), The Black Olive ("What are it's powers? I don't really know, It does ruin perfectly good pizza though."), Captain Avocado (“I admit this one is kind of a stretch, but it’s thematic, just go with it.”) and others as soon as I can think of some more.

This will be the greatest adventure ever, and I will karate chop anyone who says otherwise in the liver, whereupon they will explode!

*not to be confused with C.H.I.V.E. Center for Horticultural Ingredient Variety Extraction.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 am

Chic-Thory?
Garlic Witch?
Rocket Raccoon? :twisted:

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Uh, not to nitpick but Paste Pot Pete has been known as the "Trapster" for about 40 years now.

Are you using Faserip? Because this deserves that.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm

salamanca wrote:Uh, not to nitpick but Paste Pot Pete has been known as the "Trapster" for about 40 years now.

Yup, but people keep saying "Didn't your name used to be Paste Pot Pete?" And he's infuriated, 40 years of explaining this to people, 40 YEARS!!! Plus he literally shoots goo out of guns, it's just lame and there's no way around it. Heck Roberta (the robotic secretary of the FF with no lower half to her body) whooped his butt.

salamanca wrote:Are you using Faserip? Because this deserves that.

I'm going to try Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (Cortex) nearly all the characters are already written up.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Don't forget Leapfrog.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Peppa Roni I hear she is a fiery redhead
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 am

Whoops forgot to update this. Nextwave game was a bust, not a single player :( best I could do was teach one guy how the rules went. But on the plus side I got to watch a carpet repeatedly fill with water (there was a pipeline in the floor of the Ram that'd burst and was leaking into this room).

But it wasn't all bad, last week I didn't have anything prepared for Tales from the Loop so we played MHR instead.

This upcoming week I'm going to run The Strange (which I'd promised to do some time ago but then never got around to it.) and as a bonus, Patrick (you know him as Legauche) will be joining us!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 pm

This weekend, we're back for more of The Strange. As a bonus after last session when I couldn't find all the cards that go with it, I broke down and bought The Strange Cypher Chest (which comes with all three decks). So we should be all set.

Then next weekend it's Shadowrun on Saturday, then the End of Summer SIZZLER at TotalCon on Sunday. I'll be running Nexium-28 an AFMBE adventure using All Tomorrow's Zombies.

Then the weekend after that it's off to my monthly game up in NH for Capharnaum (think Arabian Nights). I backed the kickstarter and now I'm gonna run it.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Shadowrun tonight. Runners succeeded in causing a riot in an apartment complex filled with SINers! The job was originally just to create a distraction for another group that was planning some biz in the area. Well they did such a good job that everyone in the shadows is jumping on the bandwagon. So now they've got their pick of work. Unfortunately, its time sensitive, so if they take their time, they miss out on other opportunities later on.

Should be lots of fun!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Wow, totally dropped the ball on this. Capharnaum was lots of fun. Would really like to delve more deeply into the game. Oh and spend any time reading Capharnaum's rules and you'll realize the writers loved, Loved, LOVED 1st Ed 7th Sea. They liberally ripped off the rules (but but some of their own fun twists on it).

Ran the next adventure of Shadowrun for the FLGS players. They're now working on over 24 hours with no sleep. We'll see what the next day brings them :twisted:

Back to the home game, We've now played two more episodes of Pathfinder in which my youngest has NOT almost gotten me killed. Good on him.

I've been thinking about what special thing I could run for Halloween, but coming up empty.

As for my next game, I have some good ideas for Brass & Steel. Our PCs are all living in the East End of London, other than that, I gave them no instructions. We'll see how this goes...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 pm

I've been thinking about what special thing I could run for Halloween, but coming up empty.

"It Came From The Late Late Late Show"?

Lady Grace

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters