Gaming and More Gaming!

The place for everything else.

Re: Gaming and More Gaming!

Postby salamanca » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:28 pm

My vote is to second Grace's idea.

Even if you use a different mechanic. Actors playing roles is a great metagame session. Just keep the flavor with a system that rewards opting to fail.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Plus, Mike still raves about the additions Dave added to years ago when we did it at Origins (actor motivations and catch phrases). 8-)
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:17 am

While I would love to give it a try (heck I even tracked down an old copy of it to add to my collection), I think selling my players on a new mechanic would be difficult...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:09 pm

The mechanic is so old school. It's percentile checks. Think of it like playing BRP.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:22 am

Last night, I played "Dead of Winter" with 5 friends. And used the colony expansion to make it a competitive team game.

I started with 2 killers in a scenario that really needed scavengers. Then my partners made a foolish charge on the other safehouse and characters started dying. Maybe rale hit zero and game over. My people died due to crossroad activations I had no control over. In one case and due to a crossroad choice that would have ended in death regardless of choice in the other.

Meanwhile, my opponents are drawing crossroad events like "if Francisco is in play, he paints a happy mural, +2 morale.".

Ah well, eaten by zombies....same ending as the last 4 tries.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Speaking of boardgames, Don Higgins was over on Saturday (to teach David and Kelly about drawing) and we ended up getting him to play Age of War. He loved it (of course).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Gearing up to be a busy weekend. Saturday we have the first playtest, so thanks to Antonio, Patrick, Megan, and of course Charlie!

Then sunday its Brass & Steel!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:11 pm

So I played in a D&D 5e Ravnica demo at our local gamestore on Saturday. I must admit, I have absolutely zero experience with Magic, so I was very much in the dark as to a number of the Magic-specific enhancements. It was fun - there were some interesting twists on magic (new spells), as well as races. What I came away with was the introduction of "factions" (or guilds). The session was a little short (likely due to the amount of experience sitting at the table), but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Favorite moment - when the goblin sorcerer declared that the minotaur fighter would be her mount for the remainder of the adventure. :-)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:25 pm

The game Mike backed on Kickstarter this summer at Origins (Pitchstorm) finally arrived and it's a hoot.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:17 am

Heading into the season of chaos shopping means we're not going to have our regular games. This week, in fact, will be the last regular game we'll have till the new year. UP this week is our last game of Brass & Steel. Then board games (whereupon I will try to convince the gamers to try the kickstarter I backed, Monster Slaughter). Then a couple of weeks off (where I will try to get the playtesters back together) and then new-year's shenanigans.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:36 am

What do you do to the invisible college member who wont shut up about schrodinger?

Have them be kidnapped and put in a box by some ussurans.
kenderleech

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 am

Cat allergy

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Stick him in a sealed box with a bottle of poison and a radioactive source?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:30 am

There is no Invisible College.

Or the fellow he keeps mentioning turns out to be an Inquisition plant.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 am

It is looking more and more that I will be insisting that one of my players will need to make a new character once this particular story line wraps up. :evil:

Why?

Because she literally does NOTHING. Even when (physically) separated from the rest of the group and she only has herself to depend on.

And she still thinks she's a great roleplayer.

At this point, I'm taking full advantage of her passivity here.

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:04 pm

So, Brass & Steel is going along swimmingly. Players feedback is they're having a good time (for what it's worth). We start back to Pathfinder in January so for the next month its boardgames and playtest. This week? Boardgames. I'm hoping to get the players to try out a game I kickstarted, Monster Slaughter. Teenagers show up and start their usual shennigans. But we play the monsters who want to get rid of them. Only problem is, 2-5 players and we have 7-10 of us (kiddos and wife like to play boardgames). Of course we still haven't broken open Avengers: Infinity War (the game). Got it on a recommendation.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:44 am

Friend of mine described this as an updated version of "It Came From the Late Late Late Show"...thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... p-roleplay

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:42 am

Lady Grace wrote:Friend of mine described this as an updated version of "It Came From the Late Late Late Show"...thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... p-roleplay

Reminds me more of This Defiant Earth https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... nt%20earth

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:28 am

First game of 2019 starts in a few hours. I left off with a small earthquake in Numa.

This can't possibly be a bad thing. :twisted:

Lady Grace

Postby kenderleech » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:36 pm

My gaming group is trying to rebuild and repopulate a small mountain town between eisen and montaigne. because they accidentally burned it down, when they found that someone had murdered the entire towns population. And they took both survivors with them, because what could possibly go wrong.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:37 pm

Anyone else wanna bet the two "survivors" are responsible for the murders? I know that's what I'd do... :twisted:

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:56 am

One of them is. And one of them is a PC. with amnesia. Might be the same one.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:54 pm

They are probably based on Mark and Me... So you know which one you should never trust...
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm

The PC is a fate witch who doesnt realize she is a fate witch. She just gets glimpses of things when she plays dice games. the NPC is based heavily on yvette from clues personality and appearance. And every few sessions, the PC gets blackout drunk, so I have them wake up someplace else, with money and items they shouldnt have.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Ok, the monthly gathering of beginner D&D was today and I had time to drop by.

So did 14 other players... The DM split the group in half. I took the first set of castaways and gave technique lessons at the simultaneous paint and take minis session. (And finished off a fine battle worn grey haiered barbarian in the process of teaching washes, dry brushing, painting cloth, armor, fur, flesh, leather and shiny swords.

Then we got down to game. Dodged a bullet on the 3 players that most annoyed me who played early. But the group was still full of bad decision makers. Still just a straight up fight session and no character options, just a combat railroad.

I am considering running episode 1 for some of them to see how big the wreck will be.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters