Gaming and More Gaming!

The place for everything else.

Re: Gaming and More Gaming!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:26 am

Back to Pathfinder this week. Last time we're going to get to play for this month as we have plans for next weekend. Then onto a playtest and Brass & Steel.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:45 pm

My druid now has a pet Bag of Devouring.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Mike & i were at Jeremy's yesterday, playing a bunch of games with him, Jess, Sal and a couple others. And we're playing a game called "Someone Has Died"...

Getting a card that says you have a boyfriend in Canada? Fun.

Breaking the rest of the players by then saying you engage in a "little snikt-snikt MacBub"? Priceless. :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:58 am

I just spent 28 of the last 36 hours playing boardgames.

Planet

DC Deckbuilder

Sentinels of the Multiverse

Parks (new this year, if you do not own it, go get it)

Carcassonne (with more expansions than sanity should allow)

Nyctophobia

Nanty Narking

Rising Sun

Won half. Must now sleep
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Forgot to mention this earlier this week, but Sunday I went up to my infrequent NH game and ran a 1-Shot of 7th Sea (1st Ed. of course) for the folks up there (including Charlie!) It was loads of fun. I blatantly ripped off the plot of Treasure Island making the heroes all the main characters (and a few extra because you need more than just Jim, Squire Trelawney, Dr. Livesey, and Captain Smollett). Then I made Long John Silver a former explorer who had a couple of cool artifacts (one of which wiped the memories of the main characters) and we were off to the races.

(the other artifact, in case you're curious, made it possible for John to outrun folks in a Chase Scene by stopping time for 10-15 seconds)

I'm not sure when Charlie figured the plot out (though it was relatively early) but NONE of the rest did, not even when I told them! And Charlie being his usual cool self didn't give anything away.

With just over a week to prepare, I wrote this whole thing then came up with a prequel which only works if you played this first! Should be great fun when/if we get back to it.

Next week I'm going back up there to play the Aliens RPG (because all the rest of the weekends are booked for January).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:21 pm

So I guess we are not gaming this next Sunday then, eh.

Also, it is "Aliens RPG", as in the movies "Alien", "Aliens" and all the other's with Ms. Weaver in them? If so, is there another opening????
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Rebecca Iavelli wrote:So I guess we are not gaming this next Sunday then, eh.

Also, it is "Aliens RPG", as in the movies "Alien", "Aliens" and all the other's with Ms. Weaver in them? If so, is there another opening????

Checking with Brad.

Edit: UPDATE Laura you're in! I will stop in and pick you up on my way (should be right around 10am Sun Morning).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Yeah!! Thank you! See you then. :D
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:02 pm

So, since Mark hasn't posted anything about the game, I thought I would. I liked it. Maybe a little too much dice rolling, but we had five players and I think it was a nice sized crew. The game allowed for cinematic style playing, and I think we each had a character we could really get into. Of course we had a lot of fun heckling Mark, because we had him be the corporate slime, lol. We didn't get to finish the game, but we did encounter one alien, and killed it. Hopefully we can finish the game some time in March, since we all had too many other things happening to get back together sooner.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:04 pm

Eric wants to upgrade to Pathfinder 2nd Ed. So we've been doing that for the past couple of weeks. Thus not much to report as it was character creation with each player taking time with Eric (who is the only one who knows what's going on).

Gonna get a big break here starting next month so one of the weekends I was going to invite all the playtesters to come on over and run Ep. 21 - Siege Warfare. I'm thinking the 15th as that'll give me the most time to get it finished.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:12 am

Yesterday played Shadowrun at the FLGS. Dude running the store kicked folks out early so we had to quit early. But lots of fun. They finally resolved their problem with the hippy commune.

And as a bonus, since we had to wait for some folks to arrive, we played a new game, Splendor. The players know all about shameless GM bribes and let me win my very first time playing.

Playtest was today. Supposedly we're going back to Pathfinder starting next week. BUT we'll see how folks are feeling before any of that.

In semi-unrelated boardgame news, after the gamers left, I introduced the family to Splendor (because yes, I bought it after we played)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:05 am

Now to break your heart...

Splendor has a distinct advantage for first player.

Century: Spice Road is a similar and better version.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 am

What is that advantage? Hubby keeps getting his butt kicked by his mom...

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:18 pm

It is simply the ability to make that first buy and set yourself up. There are no cards that require less than 2 rounds to gather resources. Player 1 not only gets to set the pace on round 1 (possibly deflecting following players to less optimal choices) but they also get to set themself up for a Round 3 selection more easily.

It is just a little thing but getting the first card and having it be a color that is significant on the noble tiles ends up panning out really often.

Anecdotally, we were seeing 6-7 out of 10 games won by player one in 2 player games and 7-8 out of 10 in four player games.

On the app version, i lose 1 in 20 if i am player one and the game will average 27 rounds. If i am player 2, I will lose 1 in 10 and the game will average 30 rounds. (The A.I. is not as bright as a real player so i win way too often)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:42 pm

I suspended gaming for the time being. We're looking into using some online stuff (Fantasy Grounds, Skype, or some such) to do online gaming. But it won't be the same :(

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:13 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:I suspended gaming for the time being. We're looking into using some online stuff (Fantasy Grounds, Skype, or some such) to do online gaming. But it won't be the same :(

Our games are also currently on hold. I must admit, I am going through more than a bit of withdrawal....
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:31 am

Get some gamers our age and run Keep on the Borderlands via text. Just send them the encounter number and let them send you back the damage. It will be dry and dull like the PBM days.

Alternately, run text encounters with everyone assuming failure on all dice rolls and sending tweet length descriptions of the results.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:41 am

Mike & I played drunken Pitchstorm last night.

Lady Grace

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:56 am

salamanca wrote:Get some gamers our age and run Keep on the Borderlands via text. Just send them the encounter number and let them send you back the damage. It will be dry and dull like the PBM days.

Alternately, run text encounters with everyone assuming failure on all dice rolls and sending tweet length descriptions of the results.

Now that you mention it, I had a LOT of fun playing in a weekly "play by post" 7th Sea game back in the day. We used AIM (I know, I'm dating myself here), and all got online on Sunday nights to play. The game was jointly run (on a rotating basis) by Dana, Thwack, and Jimbo. I actually took the chat logs and fleshed them out on a pretty regular basis. Might have to pull out my write-ups and re-read them.....
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:48 pm

At this point I'm desperate enough that when one of my players suggested playing using something called Fantasy Grounds (which btw does not have any voice or video capability) I actually acquiesced. (we will, however, be using Skype or Discord to talk with). Desperate times...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:33 am

A FB group I'm a member of sponsored this podcast episode. :twisted:

https://wineandcrimepodcast.com/2020/03 ... s-out-now/

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:05 pm

took until the second session to get the bugs worked out, but here we are, experts at using voice chat to rp. I've noticed though, that it seems to be slower going than usual. Ah well, we do what we must.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:05 pm

When both Jess AND Jeremy make Seduction checks on the same harbor guard... :twisted:

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:39 pm

Lady Grace wrote:When both Jess AND Jeremy make Seduction checks on the same harbor guard... :twisted:
And I have to carry the towel... :shock:

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:35 am

Nice work last night, Grace. You had a good balanced pace going there.

Had Jeremy not rearranged his place amd been where he would usually be, i would have just silently looted his domicile in the background.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters