Gaming and More Gaming!

The place for everything else.

Re: Gaming and More Gaming!

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 pm

So it's tabletop day, here is how I spent it.

Opened this morning with a warm up of games on the tablet with my brother who is not a game player. Got in a game of Ticket to Ride, Splendor, and Lanterns in some pretty one sided games.

Then in the afternoon I went over to Bravada's toeet up with the gang. Was too late for the Citadels game but then went through a spree of short games. Lost at Sushi Go party (because Jeremy hoarded the last dessert which helped him none). Won at King of Tokyo in 4 or 5 turns thanks to a round one Superstar card. Won Takenoko with a stellar 3 victory card final turn. Lost a game and won a game of Stay Alive ( yep, the old game with the marbles) lost two games of Avalanche (an even older marble game) but I was really close. Skipped an awesome game of Saloon Tycoon for some eats ( really recommend that game). Got tired and headed home only to be interrupted by a text from another group asking me to drop in. Over there I took over mid game at Blood Rage ( and struggled to go from worst to distant second). And then we played some Simpsons Scene it. (At which I suck).

Overall, it was a good day.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 am

I'm very, VERY jealous.

As for my games, had a great time at both. The Deadlands game is winding down, so they're getting close to the big-bad and as a bonus they're just started dealing with the first of the bad-guys that are the buildup to the big-bad (in this case, a Strahd Von Zarovich clone who happens to have been a Colonel in the CSA Calvary). And as a bonus all 6 players showed up (a FIRST!)

The Cold Steel Wardens game got no more than about half way though and the players were so excited they asked to push our next game back a month in order to finish this one.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Mon May 01, 2017 12:50 pm

I was at a warhammer tourny. won 1st place. Some of the games were livestreamed on facebook.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 pm

are you playing Bretonia or Elves? nothing else is Francois enough.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 am

for ironys sake, i actually play the inquisition.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun May 07, 2017 11:39 pm

Palate cleansing 1-shot adventures for the next two months. Started out playing Numenera today. On the surface seemed a bit like medieval fantasy meets high tech. BUT the stand-out thing for me is the whole game is centered not around killing monsters and taking their stuff, but on exploring and solving mysteries.

Big fight at the end wasn't even a fight. We talked our way though it. When we have more time I think I'd like to explore this world a little more.

Also, oldest has finally connived me into running Tails of Equestria for him and his friends. Got myself a good solid idea, now just need to read the book.

Of interesting note. I purchased the book from the original retailer but couldn't find a way to buy it in both dead tree and pdf. So I emailed them. Their answer was (I kid you not) they don't sell PDFs. I just...I don't understand that thinking.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon May 08, 2017 2:40 am

So, GM'd my first D&D 3.5 based game in about 15 years yesterday. Origins is the big Con for The Fellowship of the White Star, and one of my home-groups has begun running older modules that are available.

http://fellowshipwhitestar.com/aboutus.html

The game I ran was almost completely investigation, and I had to ad-lib a whole lot of names, places, things, and conversations. Loads of fun for all, and a humorous fight at the end in which the 'monster' did 2d10+11 damage!!
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm

They don't do PDFs? I will need to get a copy just to endorse this policy.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Tue May 09, 2017 11:00 pm

Deadlands 20th anniversary is in the house. Just as we are winding down our campaign. :(
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 13, 2017 11:14 am

No fears Scott, I'm thinking its probably at least 6 more episodes until we get to the end of the story, so that's all the way to November (assuming we meet every month, which tends not to happen around summer/con time).

Oooh what's up on tap for the home group this weekend? I HAVE NO IDEA! Eric and I are each doing a palate cleansing month wherein we run games we thought were interesting but had little faith in the rest of the group being willing to play (or maybe it was our way to try and get them interested in some new cool game).

Now on my turn we're going to do The Strange, Cold Steel Wardens (my kiddos wanted to play the adventure I wrote for the monthly group), and just for Laura, 7th Sea (2nd Ed.).

But I can only remember one of Eric's suggestions, Numenera (which we played last week). So I'm all set to be surprised this week!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 pm

Ok so the game we played last week, Exodus or Exiles or something like that. Anyway, it's set in the same universe as Earthdawn and Shadowrun, only it's the next timeline, we've gone into space to get away from the demons, then came back to fight, and WON! (destroying the earth in the process). Interesting, but I doubt I'd ever play it again on my own.

This week we have Deadlands on Saturday, then the last of Eric's surprise games on Sunday!

EDIT: Found the game, it's called Equinox (not the Twilight Vampire RPG).

EDIT 2: Remembered the game we're playing for Eric's last game, Squirrel Attack!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sun May 21, 2017 11:38 am

Squirrel Attack?? Is it really about squirrels attacking? I'm gonna miss it!! Anyway, feeling better since I last spoke to you on the phone. Though if anyone is interested, buy into Kleenex stocks, as it should have risen in the last couple of days. I don't think I have ever gone though as much tissue as I have in the last two days. UGH.

Have fun, and make sure your not riding motorcycles when the squirrels attack. They will win.

http://cruiser.mototribe.com/discuss/biker-vs-squirrel

Edit: I love this story, but I need more tissues just to read it, I laugh so hard tears run down my face.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun May 21, 2017 11:24 pm

Squirrel Attack! was terrific! It is every dad's wet dream of terrible jokes and good old-fashioned weirdness. I'll spare you the spoilers, but it was really good fun. If you want to check it out in all it's weird goodness, you can find it HERE

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon May 22, 2017 10:21 am

It does look like it was fun Mark. I wish I didn't have this horrible cold, so I could have played, but I don't think you all would have wanted me to share, so I stayed home and kept it to myself.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:19 am

Kind of a good news/bad news thing for this week's game.

Good news - was going to try out some new games starting this week. And as a bonus it looked like everyone was raring to go about them.

Bad news - Had to cancel this week because Daughter is going to a B-day party that will eat up most of my gaming time.

Good news - Boys and I will be going to see Wonder Woman while Daughter goes to see the latest abomination that was the formerly good franchise, Pirates of the Caribbean.

Bad news - I DON'T GET TO GAME THIS WEEK!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Considering next week I think you are ahead of the curve....
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am

Played our first home game of 2nd Ed 7th Sea yesterday. My overall impression is that 1st and 2nd each have something going for them that is obviously better (I like 1st ed ruleset better, and 2nd ed setting better), but both have things that are kind of wonky and need improvement.

This weekend no gaming for the home group. But as Charlie said, I will be at Origins so I think I'm ahead of the curve.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:25 am

I definitely did not like how it locked you into doing 1 thing for however many raises you rolled. If I got rid of my opponent on the first raise ( which by the rules was way too easy to do), then you were locked into using your same weapon, for how ever many raises you had left for that turn, instead of doing something else, unless you gave up 2 of them, and most of the average roll of raises seemed to be 3, so if you did that, you had no turn left to go against the next person after you.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:02 pm

The trick is to be a little less specific in your initial description.

"I want to use Brawn and my Combat Skill to overpower the foe".

Then after the bad guy drops, you can use Brawn and your weapon to rip down curtains on a brute squad, pry open a locked door ( or smash it), flip a table to block reinforcement, or a handful of other things.

The trick is to be loose and creative I'm interpreting how you use those abilities. And I think I know your GM well enough to say he is on board with loose interpretation being accepted.

Since there is no benefit to the weapon, an athletics based attack is just as reasonable and even more open to options.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:33 pm

I hear what you are saying, Sal. But word-weaseling brings back memories of reasoning with a Demon back in the original D&D.

I want to have fun in a role-playing game. I don't want to over-think it... or try to out-think the GM.

That's why 7th Sea 1.0 is great. And, why 2.0 is such a step backwards. :(
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Well, an athletic based attack would have been great, but my character had no pips athletics at all.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 am

Back to gaming this weekend! Unfortunately I have to take my mom to the airport in the middle of gaming, so I think we will do board gaming instead of role-playing. May even go so far as to change the second game for next time. I've been reading a lot of Feng Shui (2nd ed) and it looks like a lot of fun.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Edge of Extinction: http://www.twosistersinthewild.com/edge-of-extinction/

We demo'ed this card game yesterday. It was created by two young girls and plays surprisingly well. It's like an ecology-minded version of Magic the Gathering. Educational about various ecosystems without being preachy or condescending. Mike (who pollutes the environment for Fun & Profit) liked it a lot and even bought a couple of starter packs for his nieces & nephews.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:04 pm

that was just so he had packaging to throw away.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:35 pm

No game next week (going to visit the father-in-law for the week of the 4th) But I'll be bringing my laptop to do a bit of writing and other fun stuff. Then its on to 3 straight weekends of GAMING!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters