Gaming and More Gaming!

The place for everything else.

Re: Gaming and More Gaming!

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:09 pm

Heroes finished off the Puckwudgies pretty quickly (but had to have GM help to remind them of the one thing they didn't bother to take a closer look at). The second adventure was lots more fun. A Revenant took up residence at the Phipps Street Burying Ground (the oldest burial ground in Boston, folk began being interred there since the early 1600s).

Hunters focused on one of the people buried there (a murderer, the first person executed in the new world) as the culprit, but it wasn't until they learned a little something extra that they began to see a new pattern. Turns out the Revenant is protecting the love of his life from Witches who mean to do her harm. And he's been at this for 350 years. But the time has made him forgetful so his victims turned from witches to anyone with Supernatural powers (which includes one of the PCs).

As of now they're trying to get rid of him so they can find out what he was protecting (and it will scare the bejesus out of them :twisted: )
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Tonight I dropped the hammer on my players.

Important people and loved ones died. The bad guys won this time. My players are swearing vengeance.

And me?

To my husband: "Forget it, Luc. It's Freiburg..."
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:53 pm

I thought you were playing in Altamira.

Tomorrow I head up to NH for my monthly game. We're going to finish up the Deadlands one shot (which, yes, is going to take two sessions) we started last time. This time our Posse will be finding out just what's been keeping them stuck in this town...

(They may wish they'd never looked into this thing).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Yeah, they had to leave Altamira when things were getting a wee bit too hot for them thanks to the Inquisition. Both the nun and the army sergeant had leads to their respective backgrounds in the city of No Questions... :twisted:

And then they got tied up in what looked to be just a simple gang warfare between criminal factions. Things got ugly.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:26 pm

How the husband summarized it for the PC who wasn't able to make it last Friday...

"Long story made short: Simon (the hat-wearing NPC) and Redmund’s niece Elsa had a fling last year that left her pregnant. Elsa ran, and Redmund was looking for her, and had kidnapped two of Simon’s comrades to force Simon to find Elsa and her baby. The group found out that Elsa died from consumption a few months ago and that the baby was ‘safe’ by the Church.

So the group planned to send Vasher (Luc’s fellow soldier, still recovering from PTSD of the war) to sell the party out and force Redmund to confront Simon, and thereby get the hostages back in an exchange. Instead of using an actual child, Simon would be holding Francis (the team goat- after all, goats sound like kids, right?)

That plan didn’t work out so well. Redmund didn’t come, but a blonde pirate and six brute squads showed up…

(And here everything went to hell. We rolled terribly, and the brutes rolled ridiculously well. We finished the brute squads, but both Ulfen and Luc were crippled).

Simon and Francis went to hide in a carriage house during the fighting, but the Pirate pulled out dynamite and threw it into the carriage house…

Explosion.

Luc, Ulfen and Soledad were fine. But Simon and Francis were both dead.

And later, Luc found out that Vasher had been killed by one of those pro-Freiburg groups that had identified Vasher as someone from the attack on Heidmoor.

So… yeah. The PCs are alive but two are hurt. The two NPCs and the team mascot are dead. And while Elsa is dead, there’s still two hostages and a child being hunted by Redmund. Plus a blonde pirate that Ulfen wants to strangle.

We could definitely use the help."

Lady Grace

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Last Night's Evilness

...drunken Eisen rambling about seeing the corpses of "lizard people" in the ruins of the botanist shop...

...the ghost of Simon returns to bug Soledad...

...Luc and Soledad see folks following the group on the way to the doctor's (he and Ulfen are seriously injured) -- 3 separate factions...

...activating the hubrises of both the Inishman & the Eisen before Luc can actually TELL them where or who said factions were before they decided to go after them -- alone...

...finding the fresh corpse of the drunken Eisen who was rambling on about lizard people -- with no obvious signs of how he died...

...boldly going to where the obvious ambush would be that Redmund Erhart probably has for them...

...only to get sucked into Bryn Bresail when they went to investigate an oddly still pond near the bar...

And the look of sheer joy and awe on the face of the Eisen's player when he realized I was now focusing on his Background plot at the end. :twisted:

Lady Grace

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:20 pm

"We're on a boat? Heh...I'm the only one with Swimming AND Balance!"

I love it when my husband is smug. Makes swerving him SO much fun... :twisted:

Ulfen finds himself on the ship "Ruddegar's Joy", confronted by an angry Eisen with a broadsword wondering how he got there. Ulfen, being a very honest sort, tells him and pulls out the journal the Explorers gave him from one MJ Barrie.

The Avalon man behind the Eisen blanches, asks Ulfen where he got it -- then asks how long they've been gone. "50 years..."

Ulfen describes his encounter back in the forests around Altamira with the strange female creature/child eater that was making a ticking sound. Barrie and Jakob blanch some more as Jakob reveals his arm stump and how Tink ate his hand (including his Dracheneisen gauntlet) as he was trying to force a Syrneth bomb down her throat.

"Well, my friends and I--"

"You're the only one here."

(Mike: "DAMMIT, KATIE!")

Meanwhile, Soledad and Murrough (whose player isn't here due to last night car trouble so I'm NPCing him) find themselves in a forest glade. Soledad finds she's laying on top of the smallest box which she swore she left at the Explorers. And they smell roasted meat. More like lamb actually...

(Steve: "DAMMIT KATIE, THAT BETTER NOT BE FRANCIS!")

...much to Soledad's annoyance, Murrough tears off after the smell and they come across a banquet table with a feast, surrounded by little birdies and field mice. And there are four empty chairs. A voice rings out "HAIL THE CONQUERING HEROES HUZZAH HUZZAH!" Murrough eagerly sits down while Soledad whines about being here and how she knew the pond was a Bad Idea and--

"AS HER FRIENDS BRAVELY CHARGED IN, SHE BRAVELY CHOSE TO DO NOTHING HUZZAH HUZZAH! NOT EVEN TO RUN TO GET HELP HUZZAH HUZZAH!"

And then the ghost of Simon shows up, wondering what sort of party they're at. And in the other chair is the ghost of Soledad's dead husband, telling her they need to leave this accursed place quickly. Murrough doesn't see or hear either. Simon can't see the Dead Hubby, but Dead Hubby sees him -- and the birds and mice can see them both.

"He hasn't come to terms with his state, Beloved."

Soledad bluntly tells Simon he's now dead. Simon does not take this news well, pissed that Soledad's actions lead him to his current state, not to mention potentially screwing over his baby daughter AND his only friend.

"SHE SEEKS ANOTHER LOG FOR THE FIRE HUZZAH HUZZAH! A CHILD TO SUBSTITUTE AS HER OWN HUZZAH HUZZAH! JUST LOOK AT HOW THE OTHERS ENDED UP HUZZAH HUZZAH!"

Simon finally realizes that they're in Bryn Bresail and whatever Soledad and Murrough do, they should NOT eat or drink anything here. Soledad demands to know what they want.

"Entertain us."

Soledad pulls out the box -- and the birds and mice immediately draw back from it, saying it leads to Annwn (the Cymric Underworld). Murrough offers to fight for their hosts' entertainment and both Simon and Soledad's dead hubby are convincing her to leave the Inishman behind as a distraction. The nun whines about not wanting to be here in the first place and offers to take the box away from them if they'll just let them leave...

And things go black.

Meanwhile, Luc finds himself in a clearing after a rainstorm. And a lank grey beggarman is in a tree, speaking in rhyme, offering the Montaigne a boon if he'll play a game of chance with him. A riddle later and the beggar offers Luc the chance to return back to Theah, cryptically implying that the lives of his last squadmates could be at stake if he doesn't go.

Luc doesn't hesitate.

"QUACK!"

"What are you doing at the duck pond?"

Luc is back in Freiburg (no, he is not a duck) and three days have gone by since they fell into the lake. Word gets to him that Erich and Greta have arrived in the city looking for him. Meanwhile, Soledad and Murrough wake up on the deck of Ruddigar's Joy, reuniting with Ulfen. Soledad brings up the box she has and Barrie wonders if it could be one of the Keys of the Prophets, rumoured to let one do amazing things like speak with the dead, heal the sick or even bring the dead back to life... Whatever it is, the Sidhe seem to be scared of it -- and maybe it can get them to the shore to find and rescue Jakob's missing stepchildren.

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:21 am

Tonight at my F(not so)LGS I will be running Deadlands Classic. No game tomorrow since we're having a cookout/pool party for the kids and their friends. But then it's on to GENCON!

Oddly, none of the folks who went with me last year will be going this year. Should be interesting.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:27 pm

Played "The Oregon Trail" co-op card game with Bravada and her husband tonight...died if dysentery in game one and drowned in a river in game two. It is really accurate to the old computer game. You will never win.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:31 am

There's something to be said about being able to creep out my husband by just saying one simple word... :twisted:

"...Daddy...?"

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Now I want to try that on your husband.

We're you rubbing your stomach at the time?
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:00 pm

No, I was crouched down, looking up expectantly at him with big blue eyes and pleading in a little girl voice. :twisted:

Context: My group's in Bryn Bresail, tracking down the missing stepchildren of the Eisen merc's (still-alive) ancestor. Mike is playing the ghost of an Inish NPC who got Blowed Up Real Good previously -- but before that, he found out he was the father of a illegitimate daughter after he had a fling with the niece of Redmund Earhart. Neither he nor Earhart know where the child is and the niece died of consumption.

ANYWAY...

...way back in Castille, Ulfen and Luc came across a little girl in the woods looking "for a playmate" who had actually devoured a orphan bully. This entity, called "Tink", had a ticking noise emanating from her. Things didn't go so well back then.

Mike thought he couldn't be hurt as a ghost. He thought wrong.

Lady Grace

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:07 am

So, 5 hours to gaming I get a call from Soledad's player...

"I JUST HAD A BABY EARLIER THIS WEEK~!"

...yeah, took me a while to process this too...

She still insisted the party continue, asking how much bonus XP she'd be getting... :shock:

Mike NPC'ed Soledad for the night as the boys got ready to take down Thepan. Ulfen has now recovered his ancestral Dracheneisen panzerhand after Blowing Tink Up Good last time out. The mocking sound of clapping echoes above them. Thepan asks that since Ulfen got his "little trinket" if he really needed to be around anymore but the proud Eisen refuses the temptation to abandon his ancestor!

So Thepan calls on Torc Triath, the King of Boars to "avenge his mistress". Here, I'm expecting a badass knockdown dragged out fight with a razorback the size of a house and the party sucking fumes after it all and me ready to activate Ulfen's Proud hubris to go one on one against Thepan...

...Mike, also still playing the ghost of Simon, decided instead to take matters into his own hands and convinces Thepan that a mere fight isn't entertaining enough unless there are stakes added to it.

"Hmmm, you're right..." Thepan grins, looking down at Murrough and Ulfen. "...choose your champion."

Again, my improv skills coming in handy as the woods become a boxing ring -- and the boys' forms change. Becoming blocky with Murrough red and Ulfen blue.

Mike: ...you DIDN'T...

Me: *grins evilly*

Yep, time for some Live Action Rock'm Sock'm Robots! And the guys don't know who is fighting for who -- or what the stakes are. But the boys happily beat the crap out of each other with Simon getting worried at how close the battle actually is. But eventually Murrough falls.

Much to Simon's relief, as he bet on Ulfen. And with a grin, Thepan honours his end of the deal, that everyone would go back to Freiburg unharmed, even the children.

And I then shut all the lights off.

Things feel wet and damp -- and Murrough and Ulfen feel what seems to be sticks in their hands.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

A young woman's scream suddenly pierces the dark, wild and angry. When the lights come back on, the group finds that they are by a duck pond. Murrough and Ulfen are holding what appear to be femurs...

...and Jakob Hochmann is dead, stabbed in the gut by his eldest stepdaughter Gwendolyn. It was Gwendolyn who killed her mother all those years ago to summon Thepan to take her away to the Never-Never. Who fed her own brothers to Tink. Because she HATED the mundane and her family and who her mother remarried and never wanted to Grow Up.

And the party has now taken that all away from her. But before they can react, she flees into the chaos of Freiburg. Soledad sees a glimpse of Jakob's ghost.

"...avenge us..."

We left things there. Next up, D&D break!

Lady Grace

Postby crimsonjoe » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:27 pm

The lesson to be learned is that Lady Grace is evil and must be stopped.
crimsonjoe

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:35 am

We all knew that before you got married.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:54 pm

Mike is GMing D&D 3.5 now, looking for some revenge while I recharge my evilness. Here's how last night turned out... :twisted:

We've all been ambushed on the road with other groups, captured and forced to work in these dark mines that we have no idea where we are. We are malnourished and have penalties to all stats and rolls. Any stuff iwe had is gone. Attempt to cast a spell and the goblins kill you. We're all chained together. The rogue/wizard manages to find a dagger w/thieves tools in the hilt and gets us all free. And there's a cryptic note in there to boot. We don't have much time or options before the goblins figure out we're not mining anymore. The picks we've been given are crap.

GM: *expects the unarmed, ungeared wounded PCs to sneak out of the goblin-infested cavern ASAP*
PCs: *takes the longest damn route possible, initiates a fight with an ankheg, kills six goblins and frees 11 other slaves. Loot morningstars & clubs from the dead six. Are now trying to figure out how to survive in the unknown wilderness and get back to civilization in time to warn folks that there's a vengeful army of goblinoids, kobolds and orcs ready to take names & kick butt*

Lady Grace

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:18 pm

Mike (to me beforehand): Gonna be a short session since we're adding a new player. Probably only going to have one important encounter.

*cut to the druid and the halfling rogue-wizard trying to sneak BACK to the goblin encampment to try to steal supplies despite Mike telling them that this was a Bad Idea*

Me: ...you should know better by now...

Mike almost killed them both, but somehow they prevailed in surviving against a patrol AND (after they returned to check out the old hut I saw from a tree) an owlbear that was napping in it.

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:05 am

Deadlands was lots of fun this past weekend, despite the loss of two of our group to some random "ick" The posse decided to find out just exactly they were up against and did a relatively thorough survey of the area (they discovered that its a circular area approximately 20 miles in diameter (meaning it was nearly 63 miles to ride around the perimeter).

Doing that revealed some interesting locations they hadn't yet explored, including the ruins of a fort (which was rumored to be haunted), the railroad tracks (which they thought ended in Nowhere), a lake, an abandoned iron mine, and another town called Pickering (where they discovered their mayor had come up with a cure for the helplessness they were all feeling).

Coming up this weekend, we're back to Pathfinder and more crawling (ever so slowly) across an island we're trying to get the hell off of.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:42 pm

Pathfinder tomorrow. Third of three weeks, so hopefully we'll confront the big baddie after marching all the way across this island.

On other Gaming news, DiscoSoup's kickstarter reminded me of L5R so much I picked up the books and started reading again. Damn, now I want to play a Scorpion, or maybe a Lion, or a Crane would be cool, and lets not forget the Dragons...

Next weekend it's Deadlands on Saturday (hopefully we'll have the whole group together this time) THEN Shadowrun at the monthly game on Sunday (the fools are allowing me to be the Face. A decision they will all, very soon, regret greatly).

Then at the beginning of October, Supernatural :twisted:

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:26 am

No pathfinder since we were down BOTH of our tanks. So we ended up playing a boardgame (Zombicide!) and a computer interactive game (Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes).

I wouldn't buy Zombicide! since it's smacks a bit too much of Zombies!!! and Dead of Winter (both of which I already have) but if you didn't have them, I'd say give this a go.

As for Keep Talking, I bought it as soon as we were done for the day. You do have to have Steam (whatever the hell that is) to play, but awesomely fun! Fortunately my oldest has Steam so I was able to buy it through his account and put it on my computer.

Basic plot is, the whole group (everyone playing) are bomb disposal experts. One person sits at the computer (they actually diffuse the bomb) and the rest have access to the bomb diffusing instructions. So diffuser has to describe what they see and those reading the instructions have to figure out what the diffuser should do. You have 5 minutes (which loudly counts down as the game progresses) and anywhere up to 3 mistakes you can make. Failure=BOOM!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:28 pm

October is nearly here, so it's time for me to start thinking about horror-themed games. Regular group is easy since it's Supernatural month and that's already done. But I love Halloween and horror-themed games. So what I'm looking at so far are

Kuro - I've raved about this game for some time, cyberpunk Japanese horror and the cover of the basic book is so good I'd have bought it for that alone.

Puppetland - Interesting diceless game where you all play (duh) puppets that the Maker put into puppetland due to war in the outside world. Here you could all be safe and happy and not know the horrors of the outside world. BUT then Punch (the Maker's first creation) decided he wanted to create also. So he murdered the Maker (thus earning his moniker, Punch the Maker-Killer) and took over Puppetland.

Mechanic is very cool, there isn't one. You get three descriptors what your puppet IS, CAN do, and CANNOT do. So like a finger puppet IS small and fast, it CAN dodge things even if it only sees them just before they hit, and it CANNOT pick up things (since it's arms are just drawn on). You get to personalize them by adding in your own 3 of IS, CAN and CANNOT (like IS clever, CAN sing enchantingly, CANNOT lie). Since it's small any larger puppet can pick it up (if they can catch it because it's fast). So far good read, creepy.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:04 pm

Weekend was awesome. Deadlands group on Saturday was filled to the brim with hints about stuff to come. It hit them so hard and so fast they didn't end up solving anything. Just found out how bad and weird stuff is happening all around them.

Shadowrun was likewise lots of fun though we didn't have nearly enough time for 6 new players to learn the game.

We spoke a bit about next month's game, and it seems like they're leaning toward Kuro. Which is great because I've been chomping at the bit to play this game.

Next week for the home game we get back to Supernatural. Our Hunters have learned that there's a conspiracy over 300 years in the making, and it seems like it's all bearing right down on their heads...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Got a possible new player in the game, so with him knowing nothing I made him a character who is the cousin of the sisters in the game. Yes, I gave them Cousin Oliver...

Cousin Oliver brought them west for a wild goose chase, The Stagecoach Tavern turned out to have the kind of haunting that one might see on Ghost Facers. So they spent a couple of days there twiddling their thumbs before heading home.

And that's when it hit them. Hunters met up with a woman who can foretell the future, and with quite some accuracy. Problem is, it's so unbelievable Hunters are having trouble following her advice.

Soon enough they were investigating a bank robbery (which our prognosticator is currently sitting in jail for) and the death of her favorite uncle. They also learned that the assistant bank manager (now promoted to bank manager with the death of the former manager during the robbery) is the older sister of the future teller. But what does this all mean? We'll find out next week!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:39 pm

Haven't updated this in a while so, here's what players are up to. They solved the mystery of the young lady who could tell the future (her uncle had bequeathed her all his stuff, which JUST HAPPENED to include a cursed arrowhead from ancient Greece (loaded up with Casandra's Curse, of course). So now they have a friend who can point them in the right direction, but only if she words it very very carefully.

They then moved on to a murder at the famous (or infamous) haunted bridge known as Emily's Bridge (you can check it out yourself at www.emilysbridge.com). The haunting is long known but never involved injury or death, until now. Turned out the ghost was a rival/neighbor of Georges Emilley (a hard, taciturn man devoted only to his daughter) so the ghost has been killing all his female offspring for 150 years. Hunters solved it by bringing Emilley's remains to the bridge and letting the two men have it out once and for all.

Currently they are looking into a mass slaughter of a family up in the remote area of NH. Haven't figured out what's doing it, but the list includes barghests, black dogs, wendigos, werewolves, and yetis.

We're going to take a break this upcoming week for me to run Kuro up in NH. Then next week, we'll finish up the Supernatural adventure then move on to Pathfinder.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:37 pm

Once a month game was quite fun, played that Kuro adventure I had running around in my head. Charlie was brilliant (as usual) totally screwing the other players (and himself) while blaming the whole thing on another player (so well in fact that she even believed she'd made the mistake).

Had to shorten the fight at the end because I realized I'd have hosed the whole party and they all fell for the awful twist at the end. Good times, good times.

As for our regular home game, got in an extra adventure for Halloween. Hunters finished off the mystery of Emily's bridge and moved on to an honest-to-goodness werewolf attack. Managed to track him down and even convince him of the truth (so let them kill him without even turning). And that's when I hit them with the twist. He wasn't the alpha, it was one of his many (many) dogs that was a Tangawori (man wolf from Pequot legend) had to deal with five of them. And to top it off, the REAL bad guy was the local doctor who knew the old man was a werewolf and had been supplying victims so that she could attempt a cure for him...

This weekend, we go back to Pathfinder!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters