My FLGS is closing :(

The place for everything else.

My FLGS is closing :(

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:23 pm

I'll be the first to admit I have a reputation for killing game stores. The usual MO is I go visit some strange town, find out there's a gaming store there, go visit and perhaps buy something (or not) and voila, within a couple of weeks, they've closed their doors.

Ok, magical thinking aside, I know that I'm not the cause. After all, gaming stores (and really in this economy any niche market brick and morter store) is likely to go under whether or not I visit.

I just liked to pretend that Scholars (my FLGS) was somehow immune to my predations. Not a tough bet given that they've been in business for almost three decades. So the chance this downturn would get them seemed remote.

I don't know the specifics. David (the owner) hasn't shared them with me and frankly its none of my business. But this is the first time I've ever really had a FLGS, AND its the first time one has closed on me. I thought maybe if I was typhoid Mary for all the other stores, maybe that'd give Scholars a chance.

Mostly it just sucks cause I really liked this store. It had all the stuff I really love in a good game store. Plenty of old OOP games just waiting for me to take an interest (It was here I grabbed up discount copies of Stormbringer, Pendragon, Brave New World, AFMBE, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Earthdawn, L5R, and a host of others). David stayed open late to let gamers come in and use the space (I've been running my Modern-Era Champions game there for several months and prior to that, Shadowrun for several years). A friendly, welcoming atmosphere where folks would come in and talk gaming, and lots of other great little things.

Harumph, I'm too old to go looking for a new store...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: My FLGS is closing :(

Postby spizio » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Any idea where we may find a home?
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:29 pm

My initial thinking is Battleground Games & Hobbies in Plainville (25 Taunton Street) but I'll have to stop in and ask if they're interested in hosting. They've been real good about hosting TC Game Days so maybe I can give them some business (that is, if I don't kill them first...)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:35 am

Since our scheduled DNA session is on Scholars' last day I asked Dave if that would be an issue. As of now he doesn't think so. He is planning an MtG draft that night. If these event do go forward it would just be gamers, folding tables and chairs. Which we would literally carry out of the store as we left. He will let you know if this needs to change.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:39 am

Why did I think we were doing it on the 23rd? *facepalm* thanks for the reminder...

So if we want to buy anything, should show up before the 30th?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby DrKwang » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:48 pm

This sucks, but I don't think you can add this one to your list, Mark. It survived to long to be your powers. :)

If Plainville is too much a spacial shift from Bridgewater (I have no idea where anyone in the group besides me and Mark live), Battlegrounds also has a location in Abington on MA-18.
DrKwang

Postby spizio » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:02 am

I had suggested the 23rd because my family might be here on the 30th, still don't have their itinerary. Someone said they couldn't do that week. Checking my iPad and phone both still say the 30th. So looks like we left it the 30th wit h a possibility that I might not be there.

If you want to do the 23rd I'm ok with that.
spizio

Postby spizio » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:06 am

DrKwang wrote:This sucks, but I don't think you can add this one to your list, Mark. It survived to long to be your powers. :)

If Plainville is too much a spacial shift from Bridgewater (I have no idea where anyone in the group besides me and Mark live), Battlegrounds also has a location in Abington on MA-18.

Either is about the same time/distance for me. Though I think the Plainville store is a more convenient drive.

I was at the Plainvelle store for the TotalConfusion game day today and was asking about availability for a borad game group that was meeting at Scholars. They did say that the store in Abington does have a small back room that seat about 6. Though my preference leans toward Plainville if you want to use Battleground.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 am

Plainville is way more convenient for both Eric and I. Bonus is all of us (at least I think) know where it is. Becides, I'd like to be more up front, maybe get some new blood.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:27 am

They do seem to have a strong Pathinder community so that may carry over. The other possibility, at least with a supers game, could be in Fall River. It is a store that is primarily comics but also has card and RPG play. But that comes back to being a longer drive from your end. The comics could bring interest up. Plus the store owner runs or participates in several campaigns.
spizio

Return to Mundane Matters