General 7th Sea Rules Questions

The place for everything else.

Re: General 7th Sea Rules Questions

Postby salamanca » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Ok, I read everything in the system mechanics last night after you called me about this. I dug up the Freiburg mentions, went through all the stuff and you answered your own question and threw that answer away.

Attunement has nothing to do with walking. Attunement is simply another aspect and ability based on being bonded by blood to an item.

Porte is scary because it has no definable range. If the practitioner can get an item near you, they can use it to get close to you. And that means they can get to you anywhere. (at least in the minds of those without the power)

Attunement also has no bearing on blooding the object. Blooding is outside all the knacks for this power.

Attunement is a side effect of the blooding. Walking is a benefit of blooding as is the ability to bring it to you. Let's do an example:

A mage bloods an ink pen. (and this is a very handy thing for him to do) that ink pen is going to in theory sit in it's holder on his sitting room desk forever and nobody is ever going to bother it. The holder covers the blood so nobody sees it's blooded and nobody will need to ever clean the damn thing. Now this makes a great failsafe for the mage. If he should ever get caught walking to a cut off item that has been placed somewhere he can't emerge, he can always end up back at home. If he ever needs a pen to sign a contract with some horrible person before the fool changes his mind, he can grab it. If he is ever at home and can't find a pen, his attunement will tell him where to look for it.

Porte works like driving a rental car in a town you have never been in your life through a bad neighborhood. Attunement is the GPS system that will warn you that your exit is closed and suggest an alternate route because you get a feel for where it is. You can just as well make the trip without it, it's just less convenient.

As Ken pointed out, attunement works great for keeping tabs on someone via slipping a blooded item into their stuff. It's good for tracking that rare item you don't want stolen. It's useful for knowing roughly where the kidnappers took you after they stuck the bag over your head. (within a certain range of area at least)

Porte is less useful for hauling goods because of the weight limit of what a porte mage can carry and it's ability to be easily moved.
Plus there is that whole throwing up for several rounds thing which is just gauche. (and the reason Montaigne nobles prefer to arrive via conventional means to events. Nothing worse for one's image than to barf on the host's shoes upon arrival)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Which is why you arrive early, and take time to compose yourself before you go out in public.

If you want to get really creative with travel, you can use Bring, to send a bloodied letter to another trusted porte mage, asking him to set it someplace safe, and then use that to porte to. It makes things like large meetings of porte masters so much easier to arrange.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:55 am

I don't know as an item can be blooded by two people at once and bring does not send it just retrieves.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:08 pm

salamanca wrote:I don't know as an item can be blooded by two people at once and bring does not send it just retrieves.

Right, but you can hand off objects to another porte sorcerer (Montaigne, p. 78)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Mundane Matters