GenCon's Agressive Stance Against Harrassment

The place for everything else.

GenCon's Agressive Stance Against Harrassment

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Recently there's been quite a dustup about harrassment in conventions (PAX actually has blackshirts to walk around enforcing the "NO TOUCHING" rule). While GenCon has had some general rules, they've recently decided to make them more explicit.

You can read how it started here http://gamingaswomen.com/posts/2012/08/gencon-to-take-a-serious-stand-against-convention-harassment/

I am at once gratified that GenCon reacted so quickly to make their position clear and disgusted that we even need such a thing in place. So to make it perfectly clear to my players (and my GMs) the Guild of San Marcos will not tolerate such actions either. We're all here to have fun, and if you're making someone else uncomfortable, you will be asked to leave.

Now I know some of you may be saying, but Mark I have poor social skills/an inability to read social cues/(insert convenient excuse of the week here) so sometimes I do it without even knowing. How can I make sure I don't make others uncomfortable? Here's a real good article http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/08/09/an-incomplete-guide-to-not-creeping/

Now that you've read it you have no more excuses...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: GenCon's Agressive Stance Against Harrassment

Postby salamanca » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:11 pm

For the record, I am still pretty much just fine with hello hugs... Provided your hands end up someplace that would be acceptable on your grandma. (Exceptions for Charlie and Mark as usual). I'm really not helping here, am I?
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:05 pm

It's a good start...but the proof is in the application.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:17 am

salamanca wrote:I'm really not helping here, am I?

I have another link, which after reading, makes me just not in the mood to take harrassment so lightly. Its disrespectful to those who get harrassed and find out all too quickly that no one will back them up and worse will often take the side of the harrasser. Take a gander

http://captainawkward.com/2012/08/07/322-323-my-friend-group-has-a-case-of-the-creepy-dude-how-do-we-clear-that-up/

Lady Grace wrote:It's a good start...but the proof is in the application.

LG did you mean for GoSM or for GenCon?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:34 am

GenCon.

And big ups for linking Captain Awkward!
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Return to Mundane Matters