Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Dave,
For years now you've been saying, "Hey stop reading Marvel comics. Come on over to DC and see what they're doing." When the New 52 came out you said, "I'm really enjoying some of this stuff, if you aren't reading it you should." Weekly you'd point out some of (what you termed) the awesome DC was putting out. Now I will admit I've always liked DC's Vertigo stuff (I love Scalped, Fables, 100 Bullets, Hellblazer, etc.) but when you touted regular DC stuff, I'd just scoff, "sure Dave" I'd think to myself "I'll eventually get to that..."

But then it happened. DC put out Young Justice on Cartoon Network. It wasn't just good, it was GREAT! So I started looking into what DC had been doing recently, pretty soon I was hooked on Suicide Squad, and that lead to Batman (I just finished the Court of Owls series) and I gotta say, I am eating my words. Dave, when you're right, you're right.

My apologies, and thanks.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:02 pm

And in this week's great irony, I am dropping several DC books that are floundering and buying more Marvels. (hawkeye, daredevil) but the marvel now revamp may put some breaks on all that. Just finished the aquaman trade, it was good but not enough to keep going with for me.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:55 pm

Well I haven't quit on Marvel entirely. I got enticed to read Brubakers run of Captain America (since I'm loving his film-noirish Fatale, Criminal, etc.) we'll see how that goes.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:33 pm

Hawkeye... Just sayin'.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:33 am

Just picked up the first three issues of Hawkeye. I'll report back...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:10 am

Intriguing so far. Like the smaller story. Over on the DC side, I'm now reading Batgirl. I came over because of the 'Death of the Family" storyline from Batman, but I'm staying because Gail Simone is writing it. If you don't recognize the name, she's famous for her website Women in Refrigerators http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/ which discusses the depiction of women in comics. (it was named, as you can see on the front page, after the infamous Kyle Rayner incident (Green Lantern, Vol 3, #54) in which he finds his girlfriend dead in the refrigerator). I'm especially curious how she will deal with Batgirl meeting Joker (as the latter is responsible for paralysing her way back in Batman: The Killing Joke).

The other title I thought I should recommend to Dave is, Steed and Mrs. Peel from BOOM! Studios. Quite good.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Never was a fan of the Brit Avengers show.

But i am old and jaded now. Even the Lantern storyline is making me roll my eyes with apathy.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:50 pm

salamanca wrote:Never was a fan of the Brit Avengers show.

BUT, BUT, BUT...Emma Peel...

Pardon me, I'll be in my bunk

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Its all about the spiked collar, right Mark? :P
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Rebecca Iavelli wrote:Its all about the spiked collar, right Mark? :P

There is nothing "WRONG" with that pic at all

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Ok more new 52 enjoyment...

1st - I really like Birds of Prey. Cool bad guy they were dealing with, cooler team (I mean really, Katana wielding woman who believes her sword holds the essence of her dead husband, party girl with a penchant for destruction, Black Canary (need I say more?!?) and as a bonus, Poison Ivy along for the ride...) and I love the art.

2nd - Catwoman. Wasn't sure I was gonna like the focus on her (over)sexual side, but I found myself able to tolerate that in order to get the cooler story beneath.

3rd - Justice League. I really should have loved this. Jim Lee art and Geoff Johns storyline? No chance I won't like it right? Sorry to say, it just didn't grab me. Lots of fighting and explosions and justice league members being all "I'm the best I'll handle this you all stay back" but really not much in the way of interesting characters.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Ok next recomendation, Thief of Thieves. It's being written by Robert Kirkman of The Walking Dead fame*, but it's very much in the style of Ed Brubaker's Criminal, Coward, etc. Very film-noir, good double cross, you never quite know who to trust (if anyone).

EDIT: Ok did a little research and its more of a 'produced' by Kirkman, written by Nick Spencer (of Morning Glories)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 am

Ok just finished up Grant Morrison's Time and the Batman. My recommendation? DON'T.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Since I'm sick today and am not sleepy, been catching up on my old reading (as evidenced by all these posts on the comic thread). Just finished Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin reboot. It was ok but nothing to write home about (though I must say the Damien Wayne character is, well lets be frank here, a jackass)

Next up, iZombie...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Izombie is good for about 10issues then quits advancing.

All new x-men isn't bad. Hawkeye still awesome, the new avengers reboot looked pretty and might be worth the read. New thunderbolts rocked.

As for damien wayne...i want to read the story where he dates hit-girl.

Masks from dynamite was pretty good reading.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:03 pm

I picked up nearly all you mentioned. Set aside iZombie though to catch up with Chew. I read the first volume then nearly forgot about it. Great stuff, silly, gruesome, mysterious.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Phew, got a lot of new comics and some are excellent, for example the Thor reboot has a bad guy even Thor's afraid of. There's also Bedlam, which takes the Joker (well he calls himself Madder Red, but who are we to argue) to extremes I never thought possible. And Indestructable Hulk (written by Mark Waid).

EDIT and I gotta say the All New X-Men is intriguing

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:40 am

Love, LOVE, LOVE the new Daredevil. I am really grooving on it (I even like it better than Hawkeye)

Btw did I mention Fantastic Four? It is also a fun ride and the art is AWESOME!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Man I am just rocketing through comics recently. Three more recommendations, Clone from Image Comics, only two issues in and I am curious as all heck where this is going to go. Our main character discovers he is one of many clones who've been made for a very specific purpose, one which the government now seems to want to cover up. After that, Avengers Arena. All the young avengers have been captured by Arcade (who's now superpowered it seems) and he wants them to fight to the death. Worse, it seems like they're inclined to go along with it. And finally Fatale the latest from Ed Brubaker. We follow the adventures of a Femme Fatale who's more than she seems.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lord_Nabu » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Hay, I can do this, though my quality control is notoriously lacking :-) I just got the first issues of Earth four in the beginning of this month and I actually liked them.

A bit annoyed that the Phantom Stranger has been bogged down with a definite origin.
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Lord_Nabu wrote:Hay, I can do this, though my quality control is notoriously lacking :-) I just got the first issues of Earth four in the beginning of this month and I actually liked them.

Earth FOUR? I know about Earth 2 (haven't read it though) but hadn't heard about this.

Tonight I introduced the kiddos to Birds of Prey. They are hooked.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lord_Nabu » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:00 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Lord_Nabu wrote:Hay, I can do this, though my quality control is notoriously lacking :-) I just got the first issues of Earth four in the beginning of this month and I actually liked them.

Earth FOUR? I know about Earth 2 (haven't read it though) but hadn't heard about this.

Tonight I introduced the kiddos to Birds of Prey. They are hooked.

I might be wrong... I was, it's earth 2 I do like it though, surprisingly so, but I might detest it once they introduce Dr. Fate, he IS the reason I ordered it in the first place.
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:50 am

Voraciously reading my way through The Boys (Garth Ennis, Derek Robertson). I bought every single issue as it came out and am ashamed to say I never read any of it. Until now that is... Good stuff. Crude and not for everyone, but very good. Also want to put in a plug for the new Star Wars reboot. Mark Waid is writing it and, so far, fun, fun read!

Also, haven't read it (cause it isn't out yet) but I read the synopsis for Todd, The Ugliest Kid on Earth and wow, I had to buy it for the name alone but the synopsis? Oh my goodness, this could be awesome.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:24 am

So update on The Boys. The farther I read the more I realize there can really not be a happy ending here. This is going to be ugly... and final.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

So it's Dada day at Casa de Edwards and the kids and I were doing our normal saturday routine (swim lessons, lunch out, comics, etc.) when, in the midst of a discussion about the kids inheriting my comics when I'm gone, my daughter says, "I want all your Wonder Woman comics, Dad."

Well I got some bad news kiddo, until George Perez did his run on WW just after the New Teen Titans, I'd never bought a single issue. And I stopped after he left. Not even the great Brian Azzarello could lure me back. But my daughter's words sure could. So I picked up the first trade of the new 52 Wonder Woman and WOW!!! Totally not appropriate for my daughter yet (she's 7) but one day, she'll love it.

Forgot to add, I got the first issue of Todd, The Ugliest Kid on Earth. It was more sad than funny. WAY over the top though. I'll stick with it, but it better get funny fast...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mundane Matters