Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby salamanca » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:45 pm

Shameless DVD plug:

Just got a copy of X-men, Days of future past ROGUE CUT. Very different movie. It included a theatrical copy I will probably never watch now. Well worth considering if you watch comic movies instead of comedic movies.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:02 am

That much different and better eh? Guess I'll be looking that up then. hmmmmm.
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:01 pm

It's little subtle changes. Added lines, a scene for beast and mystique to address the potential romance, that's where it improves. The Rogue part is still unnecessary.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:38 am

Got a new comic the other day, I Hate Fairyland. Each issue has an uncensored version of the cover that says F*** Fairyland. I am amused.

Caught up with Kurt Busiek's The Autumnlands. Good read!

Also re-reading Queen and Country. Forgot how good it was.

Before binging on Jessica Jones, I read the whole of Alias (which I thought was ok, not nearly as good as JJ) but what concerns me is Alias morphs into The Pulse, which was not even as good as Alias. How the heck is JJ going to make a second season?

Lastly, kids got me a manga of Gunslinger Girl (an anime I really like) finally started reading it. First book is pretty much the manga but getting a lot of the other questions I had answered. So far so good.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:14 pm

In addition to my other comics, on a lark I picked up We Can Never Go Home Vol 1. A bunch of local guys made it. No opinion yet other than the cover intrigued me.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:10 am

Catching back up with Gotham Academy, boy do I really like this. Also been on a binge of reading old comics so I've been chewing through T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. But it's definitely an acquired taste. Other binges, Strange by Stracynski and Autumnlands Strange was just meh, retelling the good doctor's origin story and Autumnlands started out good, but as it's continued, it just hasn't grabbed me the way I'd hoped it would.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Speaking of old comics... does anyone know of any good Flash stories to go and read? Yea i know! Flash. Really? Just want to hear some recommendations before i go out looking.

Also Mark... did you ever see / read Invincible? Story is by Kirkman (of walking dead fame). I recently binged through it to almost current and I like the direction he took on the "boring" origin story idea.
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Nope, not Invincible, but Irremediable and Incorruptible (both by Mark Waid) I liked the former, but the latter suffered from a piss poor ending.

If you like old stories with a new direction, may I suggest Birthright. It is wicked cool.

Lately I've been reading The Island (Image Comics) and Invader Zim (which is awesome as always)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:41 pm

The Flash had a handful of good story arcs way back in the day. but the best stuff isn't that horribly old.

there was an arc around 1984 where Barry murders Professor Zoom and goes to trial. that ends with him living in the future and eventually dying in the first Crisis. no idea if it was ever collected.

For good reading, anything from the Mark Waid or Geoff Johns runs is worth having a go at. some of it is in trade form. It's Wally West well established in the job and they really hit the marks on the Rogues Gallery, Speed Force, the concept of the Flash as a legacy and extended family.
Waid was writing it in the late 90's
#73-79 covered the return of Barry Allen story
other great arcs were titled "Terminal Velocity", "Dead Heat" and "The Dark Flash Saga"

I can't think of a real dud in the Johns run unless it was caused by a forced event crossover.
salamanca

Postby Lord_Nabu » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:12 am

If you find some really old flash, some of the best Dr. Fate stories were run as backup there :-P
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:20 am

Yeah, those pre crisis (1986) books had cool fate stories. I have a handful.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Bask in my nerdy new collection showpiece!

Today I found a copy of Jerry Seigle's high school yearbook. For less than two issues of Superman.

For those not up on their comic book history, Jerry created Superman. Too bad he was a shy kid and the original owner didn't get him to sign it like many of his classmates did.

Joe Schuster might be in it too. There is a guy listed as Jack Schuster but I need to find some early photos to compare.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:28 am

Haven't updated this in a while, thought I should point folks toward some of the stuff I'm really digging. First, The Vision. Vision creates a family and they move into the suburbs. Not played for the lighthearted fish-out-of-water stories in favor of a much darker tone with all that ingroup-outgroup socialization would posit might happen.

Next up Lady Killer. Think Mad Men meets The Replacement Killers. Our heroine is a 1950s housewife by day and a contract killer by night. She even uses the "Ding-dong Avon Calling" shtick to get her in the door for one of her contracts. It has potential (and the art is excellent) but they spent the first storyarc just dealing with the stereotypical, "My bosses are irritated that I have a home life and so can't be on the job 24-7 so they've decided to kill me" bit.

Never thought I'd say this but The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is pretty darn good. I got into it by way of one of those "Best Comics you aren't reading" things, thought it would be great for my daughter. And it is. Squirrel Girl is less the running gag I thought she'd be, and more, I'm a superhero, just like all the rest and I have a job to do. She doesn't dress skimpily, she's not ultra thin, tall, etc. etc. And the most impressive thing about her is her uncanny ability to try and find alternate solutions beyond just beating the crap out of the badguy (though she and Galactus are right, Thanos is a tool)

Can't say all that much about Eclipse cause it's only one issue in, but certainly intriguing. The world of 12 Monkeys combined with a police proceedural. We've screwed up the ozone layer such that going on the surface without environment suits will fry us. And someone is murdering folks by taking them to the surface.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby MacShidhe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:27 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Never thought I'd say this but The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is pretty darn good. I got into it by way of one of those "Best Comics you aren't reading" things, thought it would be great for my daughter. And it is. Squirrel Girl is less the running gag I thought she'd be, and more, I'm a superhero, just like all the rest and I have a job to do. She doesn't dress skimpily, she's not ultra thin, tall, etc. etc. And the most impressive thing about her is her uncanny ability to try and find alternate solutions beyond just beating the crap out of the badguy (though she and Galactus are right, Thanos is a tool)

Glad you like it :-)
MacShidhe

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:09 am

You all know I quit comics a couple of junes ago. But something is out that calls back to one of the all time greats ( well, two)

First up: the Batman/Elmer Find crossover one shot. It is selling crazy fast because it is one of those really dumb ideas people buy thinking it will have value some day ( doubtful)

But it is really a well written story. And it is written as a Noir voice over from Elmer's point of view so the speech impediment is front and center (and highly entertaining).

Now to the real point of this post.

Back at the dawn of time, Grant Morrison was given a book to write that was about to be cancelled. It was full of C-list characters nobody cared about. They gave him a relatively unknown artist and said " do what you want, we are probably cancelling this in a couple months anyway". That book was Doom Patrol and Morrison's version literally created the Vertigo imprint. It was a weird, psychedelic ride that you just had to read and experience. Nobody understood most of it (and those that claimed to were liars).

Others have tried to carry part of that weirdness in later Doom Patrol series and failed. Gerard Way finally got it right. The trade paperback of the new series is out ( it's titled "Doom Patrol: Brick by Brick"). It has weird art, quirky new and old characters, an internal logic that defies reality and just works. And just like the old days, if you think you understand it all, you are probably lying. Just accept it as happening and roll with it.

(Bonus feature for those of us with Psych backgrounds: the whole team is insane,o st of them know it and accept it).
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:48 am

Picked up an interesting read after a recommendation yesterday. The Umbrella Academy. Superhero children raised by a Professor Bruttenholme-esque oddball. Initially they all look like the children of the corn, but when we see them as adults they've all changed quite a bit.

As children they just have numbers 1-7 but as adults they all have names, and through their adventures we get hints about why they have the names they do.

Overall odd, quirky, a good dash of dark humor and shake well. I like it.

Oh and its apparently been optioned for a TV show.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:28 pm

And written by emo pop star Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance. The same mad genius that wrote the Doom Patrol trade ientiomed above.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:30 pm

I finally relented and picked up the first of the three trades of the Morrison run of Doom Patrol. (I've really disliked everything I've read of Morrison, especially his Batman run, but on your say-so I'm giving it another try).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:42 am

Yeah, Vertigo Morrison is not standard of his style on regular books. It is weird for the sake of weird. ( Acid may have been involved).

Crawling from the wreckage is Grant sneaking away from the 80's trainwreck that had been floundering. It is off center and odd but still a comic. Then the Brotherhood of Dada arrive in the second arc and you question your sanity.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Don't know if anyone is into this kind of thing but Animosity is real cool. For reasons we don't know yet, all animals on earth suddenly have the same intelligence. First thing that happens is, animals forbid us from eating meat. But that leads to problems for them, not from us, but from other animals. The carnivores aren't real happy about it (since the implication is, they're not allowed either) and that leads to ingroup fighting.

Main two characters are a little girl and the hound-dog stray she takes in. he's protecting her since her parents were killed in the initial chaos. So yes, He's a very good boy.

Also happened to pick up the old Starblazers Graphics adaptation of Thieves World. Surprise of Surprises, it's drawn by a (then unknown) Tim Sale!

Also should have added, the youngest is reading me a comic called Amulet. Think equal parts, Castle in the Sky and Avatar the Last Airbender with some anthropomorphic animals thrown in for good measure.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am

Since we saw Thor: Ragnarok this weekend, kids have been asking about the source material (not sure if I stopped collecting Hulk before the Planet Hulk storyline) so I dug out my trades of the Walter Simonson run of Thor. just as goofy fun as I remember.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:33 am

Blast from the past time. With the upcoming Black Panther movie, I thought I'd acquaint myself with his early stuff. So I went to my old book supplier (Superworld Comics if you're interested) and got nearly the whole run of BP's issues of Jungle Action Comics.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Animosity has a companion comic called Animosity: Evolution. Just picked up the first couple of issues. I'll keep you appraised.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:35 am

Picked up the whole run of SpiderGwen yesterday (for about a buck a book, so woo!). Love the character we'll see about the comic run.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Started reading (voraciously I might add) Invincible. Picked up the first 10 trades. I gotta say I wasn't super impressed at first, just average teen superhero as far as I could tell. But had some good humor and by the third trade threw me for a loop. Good stuff, I recommend it.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters