Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:00 am

Just finished up, The Unsound. I can only say, "Whooouuuhhhhh" It's got a very Call of Cthulhu, bizarre, things people were simply not meant to know, inmates running the asylum (literally in this case), vibe to it. I liked it (because I like that kind of thing), but its definitely not for everyone. I'd also add a trigger warning about self-harming behavior.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:23 am

Started in reading Injection. Warren Ellis (so naturally I have to read it) does a pretty good job mashing elements of Limetown with Helix. So far so good.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:35 pm

For reasons which you all should know, just re-read NextWave: Agents of H.A.T.E. because, among other things, it is the most awesome thing to ever exist!

Picked up trades for Pestilence. Dark Age Knights vs. Zombies, we'll see how that goes.

Daughter likes horror comics (she read and enjoyed The Unsound, go figure). But she hates Zombies, so I picked up Gideon Falls on a recommendation. We'll see how that goes.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:35 am

GRUMBLE! So I read a synopsis of Unnatural #2

While Leslie’s life has just been turned upside down by THAT message, her best friend Trish goes on a hunt to discover what lies beneath her unnatural (and yet attractive) recurring dream. Oh, and who’s the mysterious hooded figure spying on her?

And the cover was cute too, for reference

I thought it might be good for Kelly, mystery, friendship, that kind of thing. So I go looking for issue 1. And this is what I find...
GODDAMMITSOMUCH!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:39 am

On better news I also picked up Farmhand and Death Bed

Farmhand's synopsis
Jedidiah Jenkins is a farmer—but his cash crop isn’t corn or soy. Jed grows fast-healing, plug-and-play human organs. Lose a finger? Need a new liver? He’s got you covered. Unfortunately, strange produce isn’t the only thing Jed’s got buried. Deep in the soil of the Jenkins Family Farm, something dark has taken root, and it’s beginning to bloom. From ROB GUILLORY, Eisner-winning co-creator and artist of Image Comics’ CHEW, comes a new dark comedy about science gone sinister and agriculture gone apocalyptic. Nature is a Mother.

And Death Bed
Myth, hack, sex symbol, stark raving lunatic—all of these words have been used to describe Antonio Luna, the world’s greatest living adventurer. Or at least he was until 20 years ago, when he mysteriously vanished from the public eye. Now the ninety-year-old has returned and claims to be on his deathbed. Which is where Valentine Richards, a failed novelist turned reporter, comes in. Val is hired to travel to Luna’s remote castle home and uncover where the old star has been all these years, and just how much of what he says is actually true. But once Val starts to hear Luna’s tale, she finds herself entering into an insane world of psychedelic violence and explosive supernatural adventure.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Yeah, Unnatural is bordering on furry nastiness. The kid at the comic shop is reading it and after two issues still has no clue what it is about.

I would hard pass that thing regardless of who you are.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:19 pm

Boy did I SCORE comics this week. One of the comic forums I haunt had a guy selling his run of the original T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. And it turns out he bought them first hand back in the day, so the only issue he's missing is #20 (and that includes the two spinoffs, Dynamo and NoMan). Now I've been slowly putting together my own collection, but they are in the $50-100 range per book, so it was taking a while. Well this guy wanted to sell them for $15 each. I figured they were in poor condition, but hey, I'm not fussy. Well they turned out to be in far better condition than the ones I'd been slowly collecting. So Awesome!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Picked up Anthony Bourdain's Hungry Ghosts trade paperback and it's bittersweet to read.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:25 am

Ok got on a comics binge yesterday and finished reading the Warren Ellis run of Moon Knight. Overall I have to say, meh. While not a bad run (the stories were all pretty fun) it was a 1-and-done series. None of the books overlapped, so it was really just 6 unrelated stories. I guess I expect a little more from Mr. Ellis.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 am

Today, onto Scurry: The Doomed Colony by Mac Smith. Art is phenomenal, story is straight out of the Packs! RPG. So much so, in fact, that I'm wondering if one was inspired by the other. Humans are all gone and the rats/mice are living in colonies in our old houses. The cats come to get them as they try to figure out what happened to all of us. All in all good start.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:15 pm

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

Heroes in Crisis #1

Ok, I gave it a week or so before I made any comments. If done right, this mystery hero murder story could be on par with Identity Crisis, maybe even better. Tom King is a reliable writer. Done wrong...it's Armageddon all over again (the mystery book the fans solved by issue two so they changed the ending to "surprise" all the readers)

Let's start with the concept: Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman have built a secret location in Kansas that is run by robots. The purpose is to give heroes suffering PTSD to have a spot to go work things out with each other and the robot counselors.

As a concept, it would work better had it ever been mentioned before the start of the story. But instead we have a new location that we have no emotional link to as the scene of the crime.

That's right, issue one opens with tragedy, someone has been killed at the " Sanctuary". Superman isarrivi g as the Speeding Bullet first responder. (With Batman mysteriously only 13 minutes behind).

Check that, lots of people are dead. Tom King is writing an active shooter event here.

SPOILERS ON DEAD HEROES:

Outside the house we see the bodies of what I assume are some of the masked and robed robot staff along with Lagoon Boy (best known from the Young Justice cartoon), Hot Spot (an obscure Titans relaunch character), Citizen Steel (a relaunch of a Justice League Detroit character that was killed off back in the 80's) and Blue Jay (a guy who shrinks and flies...introduced in the Giffen Justice League who never caught on).

Blue Jay's death may be the most horrible end in a mainstream comic. Poor guy dies and then gets eaten by crows.

That is outside. Then we cut to Booster Gold and Harley Quinn having a knockdown dragout fight in a diner. Apparently, they are the survivors. More on that in a minute

Back to inside, more dead robots and the big tragic major character death. Wait for it..

Roy Harper, aka Speedy, aka Arsenal aka Green Arrow's sidekick since the 40's is dead laying next to the body of Wally West, aka Kid Flash, aka Flash aka "the guy the just brought back from Oblivion two years ago".

And scrawled on the wall is a "clue" that Wonder Woman not only has to explain because it is a very obscure reference to ancient iron smithing but then Lampshades as important by pointing out she is not the world's greatest detective and it seems important.

Back to Booster and Harley. Seems they both escaped the attack and each is convinced they watched the other do it.

I will speculate I'm a new post.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:47 pm

Speculation ahead:

Ok, so we have 6 dead people with superpowers and the suspects are Booster and Harley?

Let's start with Harley. She is innocent. Follow my thinking.

Can she kill Roy? Sure. Hot Spot...probably, he has minimal experience and his powers leave him open. Citizen Steel? No chance. The character is virtually invulnerable. She can't stab him to death. Lagoon Boy is a possibility in a wheat field. But how does she even catch Blue Jay while dealing with everybody else?

So is Booster guilty? Nope.
Even with his blasters, Booster has the same problems with the same targets. He can't hurt Citizen Steel, he can't beat everybody at the same time.

You will notice I have not mentioned the Flash. That is because he is theoretically impossible to kill imder normal conditions. Geoff Johns wrote a story where he instinctively went into hyperspeed when he felt a bullet pressing on his skin. So you cannot surprise him. At that point he is too fast to hit. Nobody involved can touch him.

Then we get that ludicrous clue about "pludders", those who remove the impurities toake the iron stronger. That doesn't fit Booster or Harley. Then they both claim watching the other do the crime.

That means mind control or illusions or shapeshifting... I am calling guilt on the Martian Manhunter.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:25 pm

So this webcomic I used to really dig, then for some reason (which if I recall correctly was that they updated so infrequently) completely forgot about? I just learned they put out the first three books of it. It's called Ultrasylvania and you should really check it out.

EDIT: So the webpage is long gone, but the Wayback Machine comes to my rescue. And as a bonus it looks like they've got it all. https://web.archive.org/web/20160804124 ... e-archive/

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 pm

So weird thing yesterday. I noticed on my FLGS' FB page that the "What If Peter Parker became the Punisher" had finally dropped. So I called my store (because honestly I'd forgotten I might want a peek) and asked them to set aside a copy.

Unfortunately they're all sold out. Well no big deal, this is New England Comics and I'm one of their whales, so I am expecting the, "Lemme check with the other stores and see if I can get you a copy", schtick. Instead, newbie tells me that I should call all over and see if I can locate a copy.

Now I know, this is going to sound like entitlement, but really other than putting in the new comics (which is really a once-a-week job) and ringing people up, this doesn't seem like a really stressful job. AND when I called the main store (where they did have a copy btw) I asked the guy there for 2 copies since the oldest wanted one. But he had only two copies in the store, so he offered to call everyone else for me (because he recognized my voice).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:22 pm

New staff that s never helpful. They don't know what to do, how to do it, or who to do it for.

Once they realize helping you makes you happy which makes the boss happy which keeps them employed, they get better.

But right now, they think,I got a job, I get paid, I do not need to do anything but the exact minimum here then I go home.

I really late retail employees. (Laugh at the irony)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 am

So further stories. Several comic groups I'm involved in got all antsy in their pantsy over the Batman: Damned 1 (with the first appearance of the batwang). I wasn't in the least interested but months ago, I'd heard Brian Azzarello was doing a run of Batman (which turns out to be the same book). So, I go to get my pull from the last couple of weeks, and without really thinking about it buy it and come home. Come to find out, for reasons, they didn't bother to give me a copy (despite my calling in and specifically asking for the book). Now I'm kind of upset. If I want to read this, I'm gonna have to fork out $50 for the book (because everyone wants a copy now).

And when I called to complain about it, I got that same guy who said, essentially, "oh well, sucks to be you."

So I did something I don't normally. I called the boss and told him my problem. I have been using NEC for 20+years and I haven't ever complained. Not once. But this was seriously uncool. So boss guy says, "Gonna get you a copy, even if we have to pay ebay prices, we'll make this right."

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 am

Oh yea, also, I learned the Ultrasylvania webcomic has three collected books out. I just bought them off amazon. One even showed up signed. Kinda neat.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:45 pm

I refuse to mourn the death of Stan Lee.
- at 95, he had a fine and long life with nothing left undone.

- he will be returning in Avengers Infinity war part 2.

- odds are good that Marvel will end up bringing him back in a couple issues anyhow. Nobody stays dead at Marvel except Uncle Ben.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Bunch of new comics to mention this week. The first one is from a Kickstarter, Always Punch Nazis. Pretty self explanatory, exactly what I was expecting it to be. Next up, Joe Golem: Occult Investigator. 1920's hard-boiled gumshoe in a New York that's almost completely underwater. Looks to be good fun. I also picked up the newest iteration of the X-men. Can't say whether I recommend it or not, haven't read it yet. Finally, Umbrella Academy is back! Super excited to read this!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Umbrella Academy is an awesome book. I loved that story.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:26 am

Got the Joe Golem trades. It is quite fun. Not what I was expecting but very clever (course it's written by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden of Hellboy and Hellboy: The Golden Army (respectively) fame, so really it had to be solid).

Also picked up an older book which I somehow missed when it first came out, Spiderman: Noir. Don't have the trades yet (they're oop, so I had to go through ebay to get em). But I have high hopes.

Finally I wanted to mention a book I got just on a lark. Maneaters. I'll just post the blurb for you all.
A mutation in Toxoplasmosis causes menstruating women to turn into ferocious killer wildcats-easily provoked and extremely dangerous. As panic spreads and paranoia takes root, the fate of the world rides on the shoulders of one twelve-year-old girl. Part Cat People, part The Handmaid's Tale, MAN-EATERS will have everyone talking.

Here's the cover that got me intrigued

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 am

Oh also forgot to mention, I got the first trade of Gideon Falls (I mentioned it above, but just had the issues). Super creepy. I recommend.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:35 pm

Wytches has returned!!!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:28 am

Got the Spiderman: Noir trade in the mail today. my favorite line?
Peter Parker wrote:"If those in power can't be trusted, it's the responsibility of the people to remove them."

It's 1933 and Peter has been raised by Uncle Ben and Aunt May, two notable socialists...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:03 am

Yeah, I don't need that any more than Howard Chaykin's version of Buck Rogers that made him an active Anarchist at the turn of the century.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters