Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:10 pm

I was browsing around the web and found this. I figured you have probably already seen or read it somewhere along the way, but I had to post it here, it's just so true!

5 Insane Things Comic Books believe Woman's bodies can do. Posted on Cracked.Com.

http://www.cracked.com/article_22120_5-insane-things-comic-books-believe-womens-bodies-can-do.html?utm_source=zergnet122014&utm_medium=zergnet122014&utm_campaign=zergnet122014
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:42 am

this is yet another foolish post about comic book art that ignores some very obvious things to try and make comic look even more sexist.

The human body also cannot fly, shapeshift, or burst into flame without causing permanent damage to itself. But we don't do stories about that.

And the male form is also horribly mutated by the artist pen let alone the ridiculous and impossible poses they get placed in. (and even the biggest steriodal beasts do not match some of the art out there but does anybody comment on that? Nooooooo.

Go look at that old Jack Kirby stuff, and the tips on drawing comics "the marvel way" from the 70's. every body is tipped to a dramatic extreme to creating a more visually interesting yet impossible pose. (nobody runs with their head so low that the leg extended behind them is over their head)

So this stupid cracked material can sit and rot.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:57 am

Wow, whose got a fly up their ass today, Mr. Grumpy. I personally thought it was kinda funny, all the stuff they had picked out to "overemphasize" what they had chosen for their topic. There were other stories about some of the other things you mentioned, but I just posted this one as there were plenty of links to the others from it.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Sad news guys, one of your comic book artist has gone missing and is now presumed dead.

Norman Lee:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/comic-book-artist-norman-lee-presumed-dead-caymans-cops-article-1.2142155
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:03 pm

I was wondering if there had been any updates to this case... :(
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Ok so we need some cheer up news. And that comes in the form of the greatest street-level superhero Marvel has, Daredevil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU&list=PLvahqwMqN4M0VjHwHTdmk40e5Aqx6Umjc&index=3
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:26 pm

WOOOO, Providence - Alan Moore, Call of Cthulhu, what more needs to be said?!? Doesn't come out until May, but I'm already excited!

Also, for Dave and any other of you Steampunk fans, Lantern City #1 is available for pre-order. Don't know about Lantern City? Well, let me introduce you... http://lanterncitytv.com/
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Just saw the DC list of new titles...

Bat-mite. Seriously, we are that far down in the barrel.

Bizarro, teen-age Doomsday, and The Omega men are getting books.
But the worst reboot idea ever is also on the list.

Prez. The hip teen President of the U.S.A. it was a bad idea in the late 60's and it will bomb now.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:51 pm

for those that are not following it, let me tells you the entire plot of every convergence book being released by DC this month.

The hero of this book and a handful of their sidekicks, friends and allies have been stuck in Gotham/Metropolis for the last year because a giant dome suddenly appeared over the city and trapped everyone inside without powers. Apparently food and supplies have more or less been magically appearing and things are relatively peaceful.

the hero will then angst about not being able to get out or contact anybody else and will be unsure what happened to everyone else. Outside of that, they have inexplicably opted to settle in and not do anything about it or given up trying to do something. (except the JLI who are stoically out fighting minor crime in a grim manner... yep the Bwah-ha-ha justice league is full of grim and gritty faces)

Suddenly the dome starts to melt and weird variant versions of heroes appear in dome panels like a hexagonal jumbotron and the weird giant alien with yellow skin shouts out that he has been protecting the cities and their worlds were destroyed. If they want to live, they have to fight.

On the last page we introduce the characters of an alternate earth looking to scrap in the follow up issue.

these books are so bad that I am leaving the hobby. they are so bad that i don't even want to read the competitor's stuff anymore. I am finishing up the story arcs on a handful of marvel books and wytches and then I am done with comics.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:28 pm

Boy I leave for ONE WEEK and THIS ^ happens.

NOW who's going to tell me what good comics I should be reading?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:16 pm

I just told you, they are all rotten.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Hey now, what about ODY-C?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:52 pm

I looked at it... not my thing.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sat May 02, 2015 10:07 am

My FLCS was one of the places allowed to do a 2hr midnight release for Free Comic Book Day for the adults (rugrats were brought anyway by the looks of things). The line was still HYOOOJJJ. Didn't get back until about 1:30am (and I only live 5 minutes away driving wise), but I was able to snag the one comic I actually wanted.

And my back is killing me. :evil:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 02, 2015 10:34 am

Plan is to go get the Fight Club freebie, but the rest are for the kiddos.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Tue May 05, 2015 7:36 pm

I've been out of it for a while, did hawkeye finish or something? Was at the shop for free comic day and i don't recall seeing any of it.
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Tue May 05, 2015 9:14 pm

Hawkeye suffered a catastrophic breakdown. Matt Fraction has one remaining issue to finish his run and it was due out in December and got pushed back to February. Then a new number 1 by Jeff Lemire was to come out. The first 2 issues of that have arrived but no sign of the finale of such a great book. Rumor has it Fraction's exclusive contract is done and he is spending his time working on creator owned stuff instead of finishing a single 22 page issue that is obviously mostly Hawkeye shooting Russian mobsters and tying up loose ends. Now, the flashbacks in the new series are amazing story and art. The current events are trite and the art is that rough blocky look marvel has adopted that looks like crap.

Yet another reason i'm dropping the hobby.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Tue May 12, 2015 11:40 am

Hmmm i must have missed several issues last 2 i remember followed kate out in LA with some subplot of madame mask wanting to get her for..... reasons.... Such a sad thought that it's over and won't really have a proper final volume.
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Tue May 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Yeah, Kate resolved that and was headed back east last we saw her. That last issue should have been Kate, Clint and Barney taking down the tracksuit mafia. We may see it someday. Marvel did wait 3 years for the finale of Kevin Smith's spiderman/black cat book.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:28 am

With the wife off doing a class for woodworking, that gave me the chance to catch up on some, much needed. reading. Wytches is now through issue 6 and, I suspect, will change gears to tell us someone else's story before going back to Sail...

Also dropped back in on Chew. That is, as you will recall, on of the most disgusting/funny comics I've read in a long time! And despite being some 50 issues in, it hasn't lost its great sense of humor. Rare that happens.

But the best news was I got some more rugrats into the mix. Wife's sister's family are here and I managed to get the rugrats (well 14, 12, 8 respectively) to start reading some good stuff (Midnight Nation, Marvels, Kingdom Come, Astro City, etc.)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:01 pm

Wytches now available in trade paperback for 10 bucks.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:09 pm

Got a call from the BIL today (he's the one I convinced to read Wytches , he did so in one night then recommended it to SIL). SIL apparently just read it, her response? "With a Knife handle? Ick."

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Started reading Providence (the Alan Moore homage to HP Lovecraft with but with lots more of the gheys and the Jews) so far, very little of eerie world-building. The first issue, in particular, really lacked for something that jumped right out as creepy (unless you count a gay lover committing suicide after a "Dear John" letter to be creepy). The best I could get would be our main character (a reporter and the person who wrote the Dear John letter) having a meeting with a doctor who was stolen almost word for word from Cool Air, (Dr. Alvarez in Providence, Dr. Muñoz in Cool Air).

Kind of bums me a bit for me when I know the secret ahead of time. But its Alan Moore so I'll stick through it, can't be worse than the buildup and letdown from Locke and Key.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 am

Forgot to mention this earlier, a good read for all of you who love the urban fantasy genre (you know, young boy is taken from middle class family to fantasy realm because he is "THE ONE") well Birthright starts with that trope and goes WAY DIFFERENT with it. I liked it quite a bit once we got to the twist.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm

And Hawkeye #22 finally has arrived (right next to #4). That only makes it five months late.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters