Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby smafdi » Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 am

I'm currently going through superior myself right now for that same reason, then i'll actually read amazing 1 and see if it's right for her for now, if not no worries, i'll buy it now and let her enjoy it once she's proper age.

edit* anyone know if the "new" venom comic is worth reading?
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Fri May 16, 2014 1:00 pm

When venom was just a symbiote trying to take ove spidey, it was a cool concept. When it turned into a seperate entity, I lost interest. Sticking it on Flash Thompson and making him a super-soldier jumped the shark, an ocotopus and a whale in my opinion so I never gave it a look. But if you're a fan of the character or Flash, it might appeal. They did just throw him into the Guardians of the Galaxy series.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Wait he's flash and not eddie brock? meeeehhhhhh
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Fri May 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Yep, he is now smeared all over Flash Thompson allowing the previously injured supporting character to jump into the middle of total chaos and be all heroic.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Thu May 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Pleasantly surprised right now by the first issue of Chaykin's "The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow" after all this [MEEP]ing time. Dynamite really dropped the ball on the property, in my not-so-humble opinion. A lot of good cover art wasted on crap stories. Too much "thud and blunder" plot-wise as was once said once upon a time.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Thu May 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Dynamite really ought to adopt the slogan, "blowing great characters all to hell!". Backin the mainstream shelves... FOREVER EVIL finally ended. And the heroes are rescued by other heroes with minimal explanation. Superwoman tosses in one last twist. Owlman turns out to be irrelevant. And the rest of the book is Lex Luthor being awesome. And I mean AWESOME. We also get the return of a fringe character killed off a few years back who built a cult following after his death. (hint: it's not the green hornet or red bee). Well at least we get the alter ego. But that is not awesome enough. JUSTICE league also showed up with the aftermath story and good old Lex is trying to buy his way in (plus he learned something very important during the event). Plus the latest possible Crisis crossover in recorded history.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Thu May 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Well it seems that since AMAZING X-MEN told the awesome Nightcrawler return story, karma demands we suffer some horrid storytelling. Kathryn Immonen has provided one of the worst stories of the decade. SPIDERMAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS have a dispute over an abandoned baby that turns out to be an alien they need to trade back to it's people for a college mascot (which is a goat). I double checked, I was not drinking or on medication, that's the real plot. Looking for some insightful discussion of Pete being brain swapped with concerned pals? You are in the wrong book. This book just holds old spidey responsible for the actions of what happened while he was possessed. And it's full of diaper jokes. Lame ones. I apologize to the atrocious team on Secret Avengers. You all were doing better than I thought.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Fri May 23, 2014 7:10 am

So after finishing superior spider man, the only thought i can really say is damn.... that was good. On a different front now officially "caught up" with amazing spiderman, i'm pretty interested in how pete is going to get his life back in order after ock's "tampering" the latest issue see's a throwdown with a charged up electro (not jamie foxx) which doesn't end too great for spider man. It does give him some direction though, and now he has a goal. Time to see if his plan is good or not. also read amazing spiderman 1.1 which is a modern expansion of his origin story. Fleshing out some events and adding in a new character. Enjoying it so far, didn't think i would but after reading the teaser chapter in amazing #1 i got hype for it. Hopefully this is actually good and not just me fanboying over spiderman. First time i've picked up spidey comics since maximum carnage......

Also read spiderman blue yesterday. It's an expanded look at how he and gwen hooked up. Damn the feels I got at the end of it. Very good book, probably even better since we all know how it does end.

Anyone read the new harley quinn comic yet? picked up issue 1 and haven't had a chance to sit down with it. Hoping it's worth keeping up with but didn't want to take a 6 issue plunge if it turns out to be bad lol.
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:01 pm

So I got into Southern Bastards the other day. Only two issues in, written by Jason Aaron (who did Scalped) and so far, its awesome. Very much along the lines of Scalped so if you liked that, you'll probably like this too.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:47 am

I read through The Shadow: Midnight in Moscow, and I have to say, unlike LG, it's not really grabbing me. Really slow start (though as usual I love the art), and I find the trend of putting The Shadow into a time that is not the height of his power (he is a Golden-Age Super after all) irksome.

I will still stick with it for a short while since Chaykin is still doing the art. But it's already on the chopping block so they better hurry up with the good stuff.

Also tried out Deadly Class. It's not going to be for me. Nearly a blatant ripoff of Wanted (which I never thought was all that special to begin with).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:58 am

This week's Moon Knight was an enjoyable read. Again a contained story with a start AND resolution. MIGHTY avengers was an awesome tie in to "Original Sin" in a unique way. EARTH 2 CONTINUES TO BE FUN but it needs to reslove some stuff and move forward. This endless war with Darkseid just isn't that entertaining of a concept to carry a third year. Everything else was pretty much slow advancement of a story arc filler.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:25 am

So guys, what's your thoughts about the superhero Thor, now being a woman? I know its a whole new person holding on to the hammer, so no sex change involved, but how do you feel about the icon being changed to a woman, when it has always been male until this point. (Oh, and I'm not big on the illustration on the page, I think it is vaguely done, where I like more sharp detail).

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=877572
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:46 am

Madness

And Marvel is successful?
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 am

Well, I have loved Aaron and Ribic's run of Thor: God of Thunder The story is great and the art is beautiful. And since they are doing the new Thor, I'm really looking forward to it.

In the meantime, I have found myself the most awesome run of Marvel comics evar. Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. written by my favorite, Warren Ellis and illustrated by Stuart Immonen. Don't believe me? Check out this splash page of a fight...

Hmm for some reason it cropped half, but even just half the page makes it twice as awesome as anything else, EVER!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Didn't care about Thor before, still don't. Thor has been a horse faced alien and a frog in the past. That worked out ok. None of the group books are doing anything with the character that this change will alter (outside of potentially having old guard avengers show some distrust for a bit.)
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Wasn't Thor a woman for "Earth X"?

Just tell me the character's well-written and isn't gearing up to be fridged down the line (ie just in time for the next "Thor" movie).
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Mark, that cover is going to give me nightmares. It's just creepy, and no it does not make me want to buy 6 copies of the comic.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby smafdi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:53 am

but baby iron man and elvis M.O.D.O.K.
smafdi

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:56 am

And now, A New Captain, but then that's what was going to happen, from what Mark had told me. But, Mark, did you pick the right one? We'll find out eventually. :lol:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=877908
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:45 pm

This is all monkey see, monkey do storywriting. None of it is going to last because of two things: 1- comics need to protect character rights and are permenantly stuck in writing tales that preserve the status quo in the long term. 2- the film franchises are now the main recognition factor on all characters and management fears releasing books that are vastly different in terms of character portrayed. But a great writer made swapping out Peter Parker work for a nice run of stories. So now everybody wants to kill their character or otherwise remove them and replace the hero because it worked once. And they will beat the concept like a dead horse until it stops creating a sales jump. Wolverine is going to die, Cap loses his extended lifespan and ages (unexplicably since he was frozen solid in ice and did not age). Thor will lose the worthiness to use his hammer but isn't actually leaving. Iron man pulled this trick in the 80's with Jim Rhodes taking over until he sobered up. Superman did it, Batman did it. Hal Jordan makes a habit of quitting the Green Lanterns and being replaced (at least 5 times).
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 pm

smafdi wrote:but baby iron man and elvis M.O.D.O.K.

FIRING HAMBURGERS! And naked Ninja's getting kicked in the junk! There's so much awesome there It actually defies the laws of physics!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:52 pm

salamanca wrote:This is all monkey see, monkey do storywriting. None of it is going to last because of two things: 1- comics need to protect character rights and are permenantly stuck in writing tales that preserve the status quo in the long term. 2- the film franchises are now the main recognition factor on all characters and management fears releasing books that are vastly different in terms of character portrayed. But a great writer made swapping out Peter Parker work for a nice run of stories. So now everybody wants to kill their character or otherwise remove them and replace the hero because it worked once. And they will beat the concept like a dead horse until it stops creating a sales jump. Wolverine is going to die, Cap loses his extended lifespan and ages (unexplicably since he was frozen solid in ice and did not age). Thor will lose the worthiness to use his hammer but isn't actually leaving. Iron man pulled this trick in the 80's with Jim Rhodes taking over until he sobered up. Superman did it, Batman did it. Hal Jordan makes a habit of quitting the Green Lanterns and being replaced (at least 5 times).

I actually thought the 'replace Thor with a woman was kind of a dig against DC who still don't think a woman can take the starring role. So they kind of said, You know what, screw you and your 1950's sensibilities, we're taking one of our strongest characters and making him a her. See how liberated we are?!? The thing that keeps me interested is the writer/artist. They did fantastic things with Thor: God of Thunder.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:36 pm

There is still something off about the art work to me, which is why it will not interest me in buying any of their comics, and why it gives me the ebie-jebies. It's like its slightly off kilter, more "animeish" in its looks, to me.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 am

Got both of the Snowpiercer trades. QUITE different from the movie (but what movie keeps true to the original source material). And more importantly, discovered that Kazuo Kioke and Hideki Mori are doing an all new Lone Wolf and Cub book. It will probably suck (given that the first run told a whole story, ending with the main character's death) but we'll see. I'm guardedly optimistic.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters