Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby salamanca » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:05 pm

Hey kids, HAWKEYE showed up last week after a 3 month delay. And you know what...if the writer had thrown me the curveball the artist had to handle, I would have been late too. Much like the pictogram dog issue, this one was mostly silent AND IN SIGN LANGUAGE. Tough job for an artist. Well done too. I also picked up vol. 9 of the Avengers reprints in black and white. (stuff from around 1979). It includes the revelation story about Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch being the children of Magneto, the infamous 1 issue pregnancy of Ms. Marvel (which has always been controversial), the first Taskmaster appearance and some great Byrne and Perez art.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:54 pm

hey i forgot about hawkeye! time to look that one up
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:25 pm

IRON FIST still is awesome. It took a weird turn recently and nothing is getting explained clearly as we jump into and out of Danny Rand's mind but it's freaking cool and awesome and Kaare Andrews is twisting up some great ideas and has built a little kung fu girl that makes Romeo Rodriguez a little jealous of. MOON KNIGHT features the last Warren Ellis issue and he does yet another single issue that actually ties back to stuff and makes a ton of sense while still making you shout,"nobody is that crazy!". EARTH 2 finally gives us a Superman reveal and it's horrible. It may be the worst superman idea ever. The good guys do finally notch a team win, fail to remember to rescue their captured allies or keep the villian they beat but that's how heroes roll on Earth 2. Best use of Aquawoman's powers ever on Bedlam. My problem with this book is that the page count seems short every issue. Stuff happens but it seems like baby steps that other books would resolve in 8 or 9 pages.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:24 pm

"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:45 am

The New Lone Wolf and Cub picks up right where the last one ended. And we spend nearly the whole book looking at Ito Ogami and Retsu Yagu's corpses through the eyes of Ito's still silent son. Painful to read, and I don't know that this is where they want to leave things, but certainly set a tone and kept you there.

FINALLY after over a year and a half of waiting, Lady Mechanica #4 is MINE! not sure I want to actually break open the package to read it, but it SURE does look beautiful. Benitez's art hasn't suffered for the break and he's putting this one out himself.

Got lots of other goodies waiting for me at the FLCS, need to go pick them up here soon.

Oh and since I saw lots of this mentioned, I want to go on record as saying I cannot possibly care less about Wolverine's impending "death."
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:04 pm

I CAN care less. About the death of Archie, whatever is happening in Batman, the return of Peter Parker, Ultimate everything, the Fantastic Four, Justice League Canada, and whatever the DC 5 years later storyline involves.
salamanca

Postby Lord_Nabu » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 am

I shopuld get back on this soon, 'cause I'm really annoyed about some things, and fairly chuffed about other things. (I actually enjoy Constantine)
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby salamanca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:54 pm

MULTIVERSITY... The new DC event book by Grant Morrison. This reads like the original Crisis did. Lots of weird versions of classic characters, a relatively new Monitor (but I think he has shown up previously in the 52) and Captain Carrot talking trash. Along with that there are a couple throwbacks hiding in panels like Lady Quark as well as new heroes like the Australian Thunderer. We even get an alternate Flash who seems to get what's going on (mind you, it's a Crisis type event and he's a Flash so odds of survival are the same as being named Stark in Westeros).
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Watched the premiere of Gotham last night and the premiere of season 2 of Agents of SHIELD (oh I'm sorry, now renamed Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, which of course screwed up my DVR so it didn't tape, if I hadn't been lucky and left it on the right channel, I would have missed darn near all of Agent Carter's portion). Neither was spectacular (I especially hated the close up of Jim Gordon's face during the chase scene) but I usually give these kind of shows some time to find their groove. AoS was enjoyable to see (REDACTED SO AS NOT TO SPOIL IT FOR YOU) though I was almost positive who it was even before the big reveal. Bonus points for making sure he found his *ahem* weapon. Problem with AoS is it still feels claustrophobic to me. They never go outside and there are no vast expanses to show us. Everything looks like a sound stage. They have the money here, splurge a little big, sheesh. I mean even Gotham did a better job of that.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Gotham is doomed. It appears my parents watched it and can't understand why a show about Batman as a young boy contains everyone using cell phones.

yep, they totally disconnected on the concept of Bruce Wayne being a child now because it doesn't sync with the Bruce Wayne in the movies. If the general "non-geek" population all have issues with stuff like this, the show will never stay around.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:24 am

Wife watched Gotham last night, and she liked it (though she also hated the running closeup of Gordon).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Watched my recording of Gotham. It shows lots of promise IMO.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Don't know if any of you are keeping up with the Walmart/DC fiasco with their women's t-shirts but Bill Sienkiewicz just weighed in, and it's AWESOME! (Note I had to split it up because it wasn't fitting in the width of the screen).
Attachments
Original.png
Original.png (305.14 KiB) Viewed 35577 times
Interum.png
New.png

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:06 pm

I was out of the loop on all this but as a rule avoid garment shopping at walmart. Given the new supes/ww relationship, it was bound to end up on clothes. They used that initial embrace image last year at Hot Topic for valentine's day and the consensus on that one was that it looked "kinda rapey". Maybe these two should just not be a couple. Possibly we can hook Supes up with Harley Quinn (where she would be the far more forward of the pair)
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:27 pm

WYTCHES: by Snyder and Jock. From Image. You know I rarely complement an Image book and am even less often willing to praise a horror book because I have riduculously high standards about the genre. But this one is promising. It's not for children, people with childlike attitudes or those that offend at movie content. But it's got that something unknown and unstoppable you can't comprehend fear thing going along side the what will a person stoop to to get what they want factor and all of that is mixed with a healthy dose of "am I a bad person and is it my fault". And one should read the author's story about the scary woods of his youth anecdote at the back of the book after.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:40 pm

I KNOW everyone wants to see THIS

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:52 am

Going back through some of my old issues I have yet to catch up with and re-discovered Rat Queens. Fun little read for those of us who grew up with AD&D (but with the fun twist of making it an all female cast). Also read a bunch of old Peter Panzerfaust. I forgot how much I enjoyed this!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:40 pm

ok, new Captain america started this week featuring NOT Steve Rogers as Cap.

It's all tied to the currently running "AXIS" event where the Red Skull using Xavier's brain has sent out a wave of mind altering effects.

So the New Cap is a bit overly aggressive and tends to think beating thugs is allowed. He's also plotting against his friends. It will be a good read so long as they don't ruin the character after they take the title back from him.

He's also now the lead in Mighty Avengers which got a name change and a new #1. More of the same heroes doing dastardly stuff while bad guys start doing good deeds. (The plunderer is back and looking to steal from the rich and give to the orphans.)

Green Lantern in all it's spectrum of titles is treading water in the Godhead event where they fight the new gods. 4 consecutive issues of various Lanterns getting their heads handed to them by untouchable agents of the New gods (and mind you we really have not seen the actual New gods in these fights) and every issue has them trying to decide what to do about it and getting beaten some more without advancing any plots. I am Officially BORED!

Earth 2 has their weekly book "World's End" which is breakneck in pacing and really well drawn. They probably should have slowed it down, done a year of this with more focus and details in the regular series (instead of wasting the monthly book to introduce the 4 familiar alien members of Darkseid's 4 horsemen) I like this title better than any of the new 52 revamps.

Wytches 2...still good.

Now the breaking news... apparently DC is planning to move their offices at the beginning of next year so April and May will feature NO regular books being released. Instead we will get 40 2-issue miniseries. I'm going to speculate...

1- it's an April fools prank.
2- It's a bad april fools prank that will just end up with new renumbering again.
3- It's no prank, just renumbering
4- They do 2 issues of the old universe version and break hearts when they go back to New 52.
5- It lets them hold rights of crap we don't want like blackhawks and congorilla
6- I'm gonna have some spare cash for 2 months.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:32 pm

At Dave's suggestion I started reading Wytches. DAVE didn't say that it was Scott Snyder (of Batman fame) and Jock (artist for just about every awesome small time comic ever, Losers, Green Arrow: Year One, Scalped, etc.). So I am SOOO in now!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:02 pm

And just like that, Mark realizes too late who I pledged.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:21 am

So I saw over on Io9 that an artist named Phil Noto will be doing a series of retro-inspired covers for a couple of their titles soon. I'm not sure what the books are about (or even if they're any good) but the covers are awesome. Take a gander.

http://toybox.io9.com/these-phil-noto-marvel-covers-look-like-beautiful-retro-1677250328

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Those are pretty
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:26 am

DC is doing a month of movie poster variant covers. Everything from. A Joker "The Mask" cover to a Robin "Harry Potter" the Flash in "North by Northwest" and my favorite... AQUAMAN as "Free Willy".
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:27 pm

Got the first three issues of Gotham Academy then promptly completely forgot to read it. Cute story, very female character centric. I like it already.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:51 am

Got the daughter hooked on Gotham Academy. Woo me! This week I am finally going to dig into the fourth issue of Lady Mechanica (which I have been waiting for, for over two years).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters