Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby salamanca » Wed May 01, 2013 6:44 am

I see a red x. I shall assume that gem is the son of saturn.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 am

smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 03, 2013 5:24 pm

As if that weren't a big enough hint, FREE COMIC BOOK DAY is coming up this Saturday!!! The kiddos are beside themselves with joy (since they can grab free comics AND get their usual 1 at the beginning of the month).

I know what you're saying. "Free comics are worth everything I pay for them." Au contraire! First you are mis-understanding the purpose (which is to get kids interested in reading*) in that case it does so admirably. But they also have been putting some cool extras in there for a while. For example, this year's Walking Dead issue has a never before seen story in it. And as a Walking Dead addict and completionist, I must have it!

*and yes hopefully addict the next generation to comics...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri May 03, 2013 6:19 pm

the steampunk wizard of oz book looked mildly intriguing. But I'm working so by the time I get done, it's pretty much wrapped up. Although the local shop was cleaning out the old left overs and I snagged a mouseguard hardcover from two years ago that was a fun read.

and freaking hawkeye... they went and did that second side of the same story thing again and it's got the same shocking death on the last page. just when I was getting over it, too.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sat May 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Lucas' first draft of Star Wars to be adapted to comic starting in Sept.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/ ... t=My+Yahoo
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Fun going to CBS today. Lots of folks showed up in costume (including one in a very good Spider Man costume). Youngest was very impressed with him and, I think, was convinced he'd met the real thing. As for my pulls, in addition to my freebies, I got East of West (1 and 2), Mr. X, all the Age of Ultron tie-ins (and the latest issue) Straczynski's new one Ten Grand, All-New X-Men, Fashion Beast, Fables, Hawkeye, Indestructible Hulk, the final issue of Snapshot, and a new one called Suicide Risk.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Checked in with all 3 local shops today. The cranky old guy I used to shop with had some random back issues piled on the counter and no visitors outside of his regular saturday shoppers. (free signage available and he doesn't bother). The newest guy did good by his estimates, had some relative unknown artists doing some sketches and spent the day getting hammered in the back room while his incompetant lackey ran the counter. My FLGS hit it out of the park. Line was non stop for over 2 hours, had well over their sales numbers from...any other day ever. Guests included Beppo the super monkey, wonder woman and a horde of star wars characters. By closing the only stuff left on the free table was a small pile of betty and veronica and the nfl comic. Back to the regular books, I am interested in Mark's opinion of Mr. X.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon May 06, 2013 11:08 am

I just happen to be going through some stuff the other day, and found 3 comic books I don't even remember buying. They are DC Vertigo brand, and one is called Animal Man, the other two are called Ghostdancing.

Animal Man is #65, and Ghostdancing are #3 and #4 of a 6 story set. I don't know if anyone is interested in them, but if so, let me know. Saids for mature readers. Like I said, I don't even remember buying them. Must have been included in with something else I must have bought.

Need to go through a few other drawers and see what else I've got hidden away. Still haven't found my 7th Sea GM book, or the Pirate book, which was what I was looking for. Sigh.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 11, 2013 7:36 pm

This weeks' pull is more disappointing than anything else. It's an indicator it's time to switch titles. Suicide Squad has a great cover, but the interior art is disappointing at best. Plus a whole new creative team means it's probably time to say goodbye...
I grabbed Chin Music on a lark since its about gangsters and I love that kind of stuff. Haven't read it yet so no thoughts about it.
Batman has started a Clayface storyarc which is good fun (and the highlight of my pull this week), but more bonus, they're going to do a "Year One" thing with the regular writer/artist starting next issue.
Secret Avengers is going to go if this issue doesn't impress
Star Wars (by Brian Wood) is one of the other two highlights this week. The story is really weaving itself into canon well (and as a bonus I always love a good traitor story).
Finally Thor: God of Thunder continues to impress. Despite being a time travel-ish story, and the fact that I know how this is gonna end, its good fun seeing how they're going to get there.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat May 11, 2013 11:49 pm

GL Corps was the typical issue after the big event. The characters all hug, make up and remind the reader they have actually written up personal lives for these heroes. It was soooo boring to read. Batman and Red Hood continued to include Carrie Kelly ( the dark knight returns robin) as an annoying theater major prying into Damian's "disappearance". (apparently, Bruce hasn't pubically admitted the boy died.). Then Bruce and Jason cross the globe to do gross bodilly harm to some snipers followed by punching each other in the face. Just once I want to see these two team up and agree on everything. SECRET avengers was actually what I expected to see from this title. I would just like it to happen faster with more fighting and less banter between the indistinguishable female shield bosses. and bonus points to DC for failing to get Green Lantern out on time. So the epilogue appears before the double price, oversized finale issue where everything happens and spoils the end.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sun May 19, 2013 1:24 pm

I saw this and it is vaguely comic related so I thought I'd drop it here for comment.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/04/04/ ... ines-pics/
spizio

Postby salamanca » Sun May 19, 2013 2:03 pm

My pull list was quite short this week. Still no sign of Green Lantern 20. Red Hood and the Outlaws was another issue of standing around fretting over past mistakes. (it was not good). And I picked up Pathfinder 7. It reads like you would expect a D&D comic to read. Cliche characters, weak jokes that don't work but do amuse, and a narrative that reads like somebody is just writing down their low level campaign. It has detailed art but if the colorist goes for dark colors it is near impossible to discern what is in the panel. I miss John Rogers now.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sun May 19, 2013 3:27 pm

spizio wrote:I saw this and it is vaguely comic related so I thought I'd drop it here for comment.

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/04/04/ ... ines-pics/

Zatanna looks badass. :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Actually I love them all. But that's not the most awesome thing being done with the JLA. That's reserved for JL8 (formerly Little League). Imagine all the members of the JLA as 8 year olds. All going to school together. The art is awesomely cute and the life lessons are prophetic and heartwarming (not to mention awkward and hysterical). Check it out (I did you the favor of linking to the first comic)
http://limbero.org/jl8/1

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Onto my comics news, I've been so busy this last couple of days I haven't read any new stuff :( Went on Friday to get my pull and they've been sitting ever since.

Gonna say once again, those of you playing Vestenmannjavnjar should be reading Helheim. Fun Vikings meet Zombies action.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri May 24, 2013 8:06 pm

So this week, DC tosses out that 8 dollar issue of Green Lantern and the two more epilogues.

If Red Lantern corps slows down it's pacing any further it will qualify as a Glacier. I can find zero reason to keep reading it. (unless the new team really kicks out the stops with their new storyline... it just seems like it will be more of the same.)

New guardians tosses out a huge spoiler so do not read it before you look at Green Lantern 20. But it's the sort of spoiler that makes the vets of these "big epic changes" realize that nothing is gonna stay changed... ever.

Green Lantern itself... It had a cool framing sequence showing a New Lantern member in the future being told the story. It let's Johns create short "Happily ever after" endings for his Earth Lanterns. But the actual meat of this story dragged on stuff that was not pivotal and gave mere glimpses to stuff that was at the center of the story. Everybody and his brother shows up for the big fight and we see nothing of that big fight. As usual, there is a twist ending and the final twist is kinda cool. But there are a couple of issues where characters channel the power of beings that a few years back were epic dangers and required great sacrifices to stop that simply get "dismissed" (in one case literally) when they are no longer needed.

I also could have done without 9 pages of two sentence congratulations from people who know or have worked with Geoff Johns on Green Lantern projects praising his talent. Ok, he did some cool stories over the span of 9 years. I don't care to be told that he is awesome over and over and over.

Then I picked up Uncanny X men (that would be the cyclops team) and it's a pretty cool read. the art is sort of watercolorish in style and it read well. It might have been my favorite story only because it wasn't a retrospective of what has happened over the past 19 story arcs.
salamanca

Postby Lord_Nabu » Mon May 27, 2013 6:10 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Actually I love them all. But that's not the most awesome thing being done with the JLA. That's reserved for JL8 (formerly Little League). Imagine all the members of the JLA as 8 year olds. All going to school together. The art is awesomely cute and the life lessons are prophetic and heartwarming (not to mention awkward and hysterical). Check it out (I did you the favor of linking to the first comic)
http://limbero.org/jl8/1

thanks for this one man, you just made my monday!
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 am

Lord_Nabu wrote:thanks for this one man, you just made my monday!

You're quite welcome LN. I got in pretty much on the ground floor of this one (I have most of the posters and all the buttons). It really is very good.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri May 31, 2013 5:35 pm

let's see what did I have this week.

Shadow year one #3... kinda hit a slow spot. we establish that Margo is a tramp and user of men. we set up another future lackey for the Shadow to use. we kill off some bad guys in a very uninteresting way... yep, this whole thing was sort of phoned in.

New Avengers. So the team has to go face a cosmic disruption in... LATVERIA!!!! and they don't actually scuffle with Dr. Doom. More hand wringing, more of the obviously evil villainess trying to corrupt the team into doing horrible things. and again... no real fighting bad guys. Didn't comics used to have bad guys that the heroes fought?

X-Men #1: this is the new "all girl" team. and by that I mean that they are still all in the mansion with everybody else but they ignore the boys and don't draw them in the panels. In this one, Jubilee returns to the mansion with a baby (don't panic, she swears she found it someplace) and then some guy that was following her shows up and he turns out to be some parasitic bacteria with the power of mind control. So with a team featuring Storm, Psylocke, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, AND Rachel Summers we got us a good ol' psychic brawl coming up... nope, they sit down and chat about his even more evil sister who has now shown up looking to settle some sibling rivalry issues. (and it looks a lot like they are swiping that really bad first story arc from Avengers when they rebooted earlier this year)

Red Hood and the Outlaws Annual: Totally worth it to read the interaction between Ollie and Roy explaining the new 52 version of their partnership. It appears to involve Ollie recruiting Roy to build his gear then not trusting him enough to use the gear or let him help in the field. Then Cheshire shows up to collect a bounty on Jason Todd and there is lots of fighting. (that's right, fighting in a comic book against a legit villain, what a novel concept)

Earth 2 Annual: everybody is making a big deal about earth 2 batman... his part sucked. nothing is revealed other than that he is there. But we did get a couple pages of Mister Miracle and Big Barda in a Gotham that looks plucked from an issue of Kamandi. And a great lead story arc about the Atom dealing with his PTSD. overall, it was a better level of annual than most.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Yeah, read issue #3 of "Shadow: Year One" today finally. More and more, I really miss the run Barreto & Jones had back in the early 90's for DC. I liked what they did with Margo for that.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:29 pm

So this week... MISTER X, still have little clue what is going on and that is by intent here. It's a fun read with a grandiose backplot that will probably go to the grave with it's creator and I am ok just getting a taste of it. EARTH 2, well we get a lot about Captain Steel and it's pretty close to the older versions. The we get a revamp of "Red Torpedo" a flying submarine of sorts that should have stayed in the lost character zone. There is investigation of a fire pit but we don't get to see what is in it. New batman shows up for a panel and hawkgirl gets nowhere investigating the death of Green Lantern's boyfriend. (a lot happens off panel in this but little on the page so it is back on my "may drop" list). GREEN LANTERN, we start mid adventure with the corp in a fight saddled with new recruits and low on power(stop me if you heard this one before). Then it's a mission to recharge the rings, a flashback to Hal and Carol fighting because Hal wants a relationship now so Carol is going to run away...seriously, go to counseling or break up. And once again the cool parts appear to take place off panel. The new artist may have also drawn the WORST depiction of Kyle Rayner in history. ALL NEW X-MEN, good issue. The Uncanny avengers show up and ground the x-jet to have a chat. Havok and Scott get to bond. Wolverine (who is on both teams) argues with Cap. Rogue is mean to everybody. JEAN ONCE AGAIN PRIES INTO SOMEBODY'S BRAIN AND FREAKS OUT. (ok, the freaking out by Jean Grey has jumped the shark. Bad stuff happened between then and now, move on).
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:49 pm

Got Mister X and All New X-Men in my pull today too. Also looking forward to Astro City, Clive Barker's New Testament, Bedlam, Ten Grand, and half a dozen others.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 pm

I used to love Astro City. But it has just been too long between stories due to creator obligations and health issues. Plus, if I want to read a book about a superman type character that is not superman, I can just buy action comics thanks to the new 52.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:00 pm

http://igg.me/at/wecanbeheroes

Special note to Mark: The Superman dream bedroom is for kiddos.
spizio

Postby salamanca » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Lets see, what did I get for the past two weeks... Not much. NEW AVENGERS: best part is the writer acknowledging his characters are in so many books they need to warp time and space to meet. Lots of brooding on impending Doom, namor and t'challa argue and plan to go to war with each other. Mister F and Doc Strange have dinner in Latveria... And nothing happens. NEW GUARDIANS: Kyle fights space sharks. Hal begs him to babysit the newly released guardians who do the same thing they always do, skip town to see the universe and release a new dimensional threat. GREEN LANTERN CORPS: John has to save a planet, he fails to commit to fatality (thank goodness, the man is starcrossed worse than rodrigo) we get new recruits to kill later and Durlans show up. BATMAN AND BATGIRL:. No matter how bad Bruce may be feeling right now, Batgirl needs a support group more. She deserves a medal for putting up with Mr Wayne. This was a tramatic but good read. RED HOOD :. Jason gets nabbed by league of assassins, roy gets sold out by hugo strange, kory walks out for a short time because she wants to prepare the rescue. Next issue jason and roy will be leading opposing armies (unless it's a flashback, sidebar or filler).
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters