Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Lord_Nabu » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Lord_Nabu wrote:I'm not doing well.

I'm telling you, Indestructible Hulk, you'll love it...

not to sound flippant or anything but why?
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Lord_Nabu wrote:
Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Lord_Nabu wrote:I'm not doing well.

I'm telling you, Indestructible Hulk, you'll love it...

not to sound flippant or anything but why?

How many levels of quote can I do...heh heh heh

Seriously though, not to give anything away, but Bruce Banner has finally gotten sick of trying to 'cure' himself of the Hulk. He's also really sick of other superheroes (and villains) who are known for their intelligence outside of being superpowered (Reed Richards, Otto Octavius, Dr. Doom, and especially that hack Tony Stark) while all he's known for is hulking out.

So, he decides to treat "Hulk" as a disease and start work on inventions to save all mankind. To get the capital (and facilities and staff) to pull this off, he makes a deal with SHIELD. They give him all this stuff, he invents one world-shattering thing per week, and when he has an 'outbreak' they point the hulk in the right direction (so he doesn't hurt innocents and does some good).

It's being written by Mark Waid (Kingdom Come, Irredeemable, Incorruptable, and most recently Daredevil). And it's quite obvious he's having fun writing it (each issue, thus far, has had at least one awsomely funny and/or cool moment)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lord_Nabu » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:How many levels of quote can I do...heh heh heh

actually it turns out you hit the max there.

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Seriously though, not to give anything away, but Bruce Banner has finally gotten sick of trying to 'cure' himself of the Hulk. He's also really sick of other superheroes (and villains) who are known for their intelligence outside of being superpowered (Reed Richards, Otto Octavius, Dr. Doom, and especially that hack Tony Stark) while all he's known for is hulking out.

So, he decides to treat "Hulk" as a disease and start work on inventions to save all mankind. To get the capital (and facilities and staff) to pull this off, he makes a deal with SHIELD. They give him all this stuff, he invents one world-shattering thing per week, and when he has an 'outbreak' they point the hulk in the right direction (so he doesn't hurt innocents and does some good).

It's being written by Mark Waid (Kingdom Come, Irredeemable, Incorruptable, and most recently Daredevil). And it's quite obvious he's having fun writing it (each issue, thus far, has had at least one awsomely funny and/or cool moment)

I think I've read some Mark Waid, and liked it, but Hulk doesn't do it for me, never really has. One of the problems with the entire Marvel comics range of movies is that none of the characters really interest me, though I do think Downey Jr. is doing well in the ones I've seen (two kids and a nasty WOW-habit makes it very rare for me to go to the cinema, I didn't even go to see the hobbit). Now if they do a Dr. Strange movie as they have threatened, and we get some visual effects genius babbling excitedly about Ditko's alien planes, I'll be in. And if the writer reads this: http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.dk/2011/01/that-other-dr-strange-some-thoughts.html and agrees with it, I'lll be really happy

But I digress. I think I also agree with Sal on the bit with heroes fighting heroes. oh yeah, and they talk too much as well, but perhaps that's just the avengers.

actually I would like
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Lord_Nabu wrote: Hulk doesn't do it for me, never really has.

I'm right there with you. I never really liked the hulk save as perhaps a background character. And that's what makes this so great, the Hulk is the background. Banner's story is the one we're following.

On other news, got the wife addicted to Thief of Thieves today...

Meanwhile, I finally started reading Iron Man: Extremis by Warren Ellis (part of this story is going to be used in the new Iron Man movie). Very intriguing.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm

The talking too much thing is Brian Bendis. That's how we Ohio guys are. talk, talk, talk.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Lord_Nabu » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:51 am

salamanca wrote:The talking too much thing is Brian Bendis. That's how we Ohio guys are. talk, talk, talk.

I could rant about Bendis' treatment of Dr. Strange, but I'll spare you.
Lord_Nabu

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:00 pm

ok, for the week...

Green Lantern Corps... another story about the First Lantern messing with a GL's history where nothing actually happens. this time, it's john stewart. Never thought I would be glad to see Tomasi and Johns leave some books. This story arc sucks. I would sooner read early Image comics than continue this arc.

Secret Avengers. somebody needs to work a bit on pacing and flow but it's a good story. Fury recruits the Taskmaster. I think I would like it better if the writers could avoid some of the ridiculous stuff going on in the marvelverse right now like AIM island and the whole villian city that appears to be outside everybody's extradition.

The shadow: lamont cranston is in spain for the revolution with the only apparent reason being to protect George Orwell for reasons he is unaware. The villian, El Rey, is about the worst bad guy ever. Just a lame, lame concept. His self announced reasons for taking over Spain should have gotten him laughed out of the country.

Uncanny X-Men: best fight with the Avengers ever. this one might be better than the classic Batman Guy Gardner one punch fight. plus I love the new character, eva's, first page intro flashing back to her childhood commenting on Captain America.

and for those that have not been listening to me, they just released Hawkeye 1-5 plus some other young avengers story in trade paperback.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:38 am

I want to like The Shadow (loved DC's run back in the early 90's with Barreto & Jones), but the flow just reads too choppy for me.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Lord_Nabu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:21 am

I've given up on The Shadow, my Comics Shadow is Denny O'Neil and Mike Kaluta in the 70s.
Lord_Nabu

Postby salamanca » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:17 pm

There was an issue from the DC run around '89 titled "harold goes to washington". Might be one of the best stories ever done that year.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 pm

I have that issue! Andy Helfer, Kyle Baker & Marshall Rogers. That was '88, actually. Snarky and [MEEP]ed up as all hell. :twisted:

*bit of a Shadow collector*
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:35 pm

My personal fav was the beginning of that reboot LG, with Howard Chaykin doing the art and writing (I've loved that man's work ever since American Flagg!).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Wow, how quickly some comics go to pot. I was all excited about Birds of Prey right up until they got rid of Katana then wanted to read that, which went SO cliche as to have her fighting the ninjas who'd killed her husband. Sheesh, you just phoning it in Ann Nocenti?

More on my worries, they got Andy Kubert to do the art of the most recent Batman. Sure they say it's just as a guest penciler. But we all know what that means...

Bedlam continues to be awesome (as do Chew and Daredevil btw), I haven't yet been able to guess where it's going (which is always a treat).

Fantastic Four is still lots of fun, I won't say it's great since nothing about it screams this is awesome to me, but it's still worth the cover price (and the art continues to be top notch).

Age of Ultron They are zipping this one out fast (a new issue every week) interesting so far, Ultron has taken over, leaving a rag-tag band of superheroes to try and stop him. Truth be told this'd be more fun (I think) if they failed...

Also picked up a small indie graphic novel called Oxymoron I need to read it more before I comment on it, but it was good enough that I want to finish reading it.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 pm

I had 6 comics last week and they were all lousy.

May have to start writing Jack Knight, Starman fan fic at this rate.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:31 pm

salamanca wrote:May have to start writing Jack Knight, Starman fan fic at this rate.

"Jack grabbed his Cosmic Rod and the shaft throbbed with life in his grip..."

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:53 pm

don't you dis on starman.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:08 pm

salamanca wrote:don't you dis on starman.

I tried to like it, It came highly recommended by several, but just couldn't get into it... I feel so ashamed
Now Hellblazer on the other hand...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Dean Motter released a Mister X one shot this week from dark horse. There is a miniseries to follow. If you never read Mister X, it is worth it. Part noir detective story, part german existentalist film, part conspiracy rant. And all good.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Alright, so I'm nearly through with Oxymoron and feel competent enough to give it a review. The short review is... DON'T.

Its interesting that I like Bedlam so much given that it's a pretty thinly veiled attempt to make a Joker story without running afoul of DC Comics. But where it goes is fascinating. Madder Red (the Joker) is 'cured' by a doctor quite obviously just as wacko (I think) and then Madder, now in his alter ego tries to make amends for what he's done previously by helping the police track down another serial killer (who believes himself to be an angel of the lord). Though whether this is out of some form of altruism or simply to get closer to the new kid on the block remains to be seen.

Oxymoron on the other hand makes no pretences that it's not a Batman/Joker story with Oxymoron in white makeup with back circles around the eyes and garish red lipstick. MEANWHILE Batman and robin have been replaced with Red (the female batman) and Crimson Kid (our robin). All the stories go to great lengths to try and shoehorn in some kind of oxymoron for which Oxymoron can get all upset and take vengence. For example in one of the stories, a young man enters a burning building to save a young girl and the newspapers call him a "selfless man" Oxy says that man, by definition is selfish. So since he is the only one in town who is allowed to be an oxymoron, Oxy decides to kill the man, but not before proving the man is, in fact selfish.

The stories also go to great lengths to try and be as gross as possible with blood, gore and in one case, Joke..er Oxymoron eating the fleshy face of a woman he's just cut the face off of (hmm, this sound like any recent Joker storylines in Batman to anyone?!?).

All in all a pretty big disappointment.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Dave's comment about Mister X got me to go grab a couple of issues. Interesting. Not sure if I like it yet, but Dave's description certainly does it justice.

My own comments got me re-started reading Hellblazer. I remembered him being an obnoxious bastard, but that underestimates the point. I'm just about back to the Cancer storyline...

Caught up with Todd: The Ugliest Kid on Earth. I misunderstood it as dark comedy, when it's really absurdist. With that in mind, I enjoyed the next two issues much more.

Star Wars continues to deliver. Good spy/traitor storyline and meshes well with canon.

Batman (and frankly the whole Requiem storyline) OH MY GOD THEY KILLED ROBIN, I mean, again, this week, but not the original, just like every other damn time, and it was another shitty robin. I cannot understate this HO HUM YOU'RE BORING ME! Get back to the good stories and stop listening to Grant Morrison he can't write entertaining stories to save his life.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lord_Nabu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:35 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:My own comments got me re-started reading Hellblazer. I remembered him being an obnoxious bastard, but that underestimates the point. I'm just about back to the Cancer storyline...

Hellblazer is good, and I always liked him obnoxious.

Have to admit I'm a bit worried about the new series, is it "Constantine"?
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 am

Lord_Nabu wrote:Have to admit I'm a bit worried about the new series, is it "Constantine"?

Yup, they're (DC) trying to put him into main continuity rather than in Vertigo.

Went to my FLCBS today and got a ton of good stuff. Newest Locke & Key (which is almost finished), Age of Ultron, new series staring Abe Sapien (of BPRD fame, and written by Mike Mignola too!) Bedlam, Clone, Fantastic Four, Guardians of the Galaxy, Indestructable Hulk (with none other than Walt Simonson taking over art duties!!!), Morning Glories, Snapshot, The Answer, and Thanos Rising

I didn't notice it until just now, but apparently this week is the Marvel Week for me...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Finished the first issue of Thanos Rising. Is it just me that thinks its wierd to see him as a child? And really we went with the, "he was an innocent and totally normal child who would never have thoguth to do EVIL until something bad/rotten/awful happened to those he loves." So now we're supposed to empathize with his desire to obliterate...everything?!?

George Lucas called, he wants his plot back...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Uncanny x-men replays scenes from the All new x-men that was out a week ago but from the other side of the conversation... nice device but I am really tired of shelling out cash for the same story.

Fearless Defenders has completely let me down. I will forever remember this as "Valkyrie and 4 characters I care even less about and/or never heard of".

Batman and Red Robin features the new 52/main continuity premiere of Carrie Kelley. at least they didn't turn her into robin (yet). and the rest of the story is an amusing but very not Batman reaction to Damian's demise. I get Bruce looking for a way to revive the boy but I never expected this option and feel it would not happen in the hands of better writers. (Let's just say Batman new 52 is not grounded in any level of reality)

Green Lantern Corps gathers the troops for the big final fight that should have had better pacing leading up to it. This First Lantern story is terribly paced and is not going to wrap up cleanly. also note that the writer scheduled and announced to replace the current team has already QUIT before doing a single issue. (as has Andy Diggle on Action. DC editorial needs to get it's head on straight and let the writers write)

Secret Avengers is adrift as of issue 3. It's not even team building, it's just another issue of setting up a big fight with AIM. Get on with it. Marvel heroes need to have fights, enough talk.

Hawkeye picked up at the same spot the last issue did and It took me two pages to make sure I didn't accidently buy the same issue twice. Then it followed Clint dealing with the Widow (his "work wife") Mockingbird (his ex wife) Jessica Drew (his friend girl) and Kate (kate) trying to clean up after his disaster last month. Then the last page broke my heart. (and I will not spoil it here) This book just keeps getting better written as the art keeps getting more basic and abstract (which is going to kill it)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:02 pm

salamanca wrote:This book just keeps getting better written as the art keeps getting more basic and abstract (which is going to kill it)

Totally agree. While I will buy a book with good story and crappy art over good art and crappy story (notice I'm still buying Hawkeye and have dumped Justice League a long time ago), good story and good art is still ok with me...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters