Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 pm

salamanca wrote:Then the last page broke my heart. (and I will not spoil it here)

GODDAMNITSOMUCH!!!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lord_Nabu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:18 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Lord_Nabu wrote:Have to admit I'm a bit worried about the new series, is it "Constantine"?

Yup, they're (DC) trying to put him into main continuity rather than in Vertigo.

Have to say, what REALLY worries me, is the american writer, call me a snob, but for me JC is extremely british.
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:05 am

Ok I've been hearing about Saga for some time now (even before the big to-do over the infamous issue 12 and Apple's refusal to sell it via their store) but today I had my first chance to read it. I don't know if I'd call it the best thing out there (as some have) but it's certainly intriguing and definitely worth checking out.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 am

It's sort of a sci-fi/ fantasy space opera version of Morrison's Doom Patrol.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:08 pm

spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Oh I will DEFINITELY get in on that...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Reading the old John Byrne run of Fantastic Four to the kiddos. I gotta say, he did a pretty good job getting the feel of super-powered non-superheroes. Also picked up the trade PB of Justice. Intriguing.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:30 pm

I hope you mean the DC alex ross thing with the justice leagua and not the old New Universe Marvel series from the 80's. SHADOW YEAR ONE is not going too bad but it is Matt Wagner (so if it was bad, that would be a first).
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:38 pm

yup the DC Alex Ross thing...

I haven't read any of Shadow: Year One other than the first issue (course I just got home, so that's my excuse)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Helped the FLCS stamp part of their pile of stuff for Free Comic Book Day yesterday.

DC is reprinting the Richard Donner/Geoff johns story they ran about the time they rebooted. Did not see the marvel book. The Steampunk Oz thing looks vaguely interesting.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Lots of good comics today (YAY)! Daredevil, Age of Ultron, Hawkeye, The Walking Dead, Thief of Thieves, The Shadow: Year One, phew... Lots to read.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Like the story of "The Shadow: Year One" so far, though the art of the 2nd issue threw me for a little loop.

Still enjoying IDW's "Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time". HELL of a lot better than the fecal matter Moffat dribbles out.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby smafdi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 am

There has recently been some interest in my significant other in comic stuff while playing Injustice. I tried suggesting new stuff but she's pretty adamant about wanting to know and read some of the older stuff. I'm not quite sure what to give her without links to wiki pages about some stuff. She's a huge batman fan so I was thinking of some of the better batman story's, and so far I've come up with hush, knightfall (not sure how she'll enjoy that one lol), and The Dark Knight Returns. Also considering the death of superman, and red son. I've not read red son just yet, but the idea always intrigued me and it's about time I picked it up. Any other storylines well worth looking into especially for someone new-ish to comics?
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:15 am

Got my wife addicted to comics by starting her off with Transmetropolitan, then followed that with The Walking Dead, Y The Last Man, and 100 Bullets, Now she's looking at her own stuff, iZombie intrigued her, she's working her way through Scalped, Northmen, and Locke & Key. Oddly she didn't like DMZ (but I think it's terrific).

Course my wife hates superheroes so none of the above have anything to do with superheroes (the closest I could get is to have her try Astro City).

Though if she likes Batman, you could have her start on the newest reboot (the Court of Owls stuff) it's definitely worth a read (and the art is superb)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 am

According to Mark, he said the new Wonder Woman is really good, an as a woman I would enjoy it. As I am not really a comic book fan (as I was as a teenager), I haven't read it to tell you if it is good or not, but maybe she would like it. Believe me, he's tried to push it on to me a few times, lol. Maybe someday I'll get around to reading it, but since I'm more apt to read regular Sci-Fi Fantacy and adventure type of paperback books, comic books just don't do it for me anymore.

Its bad enough that a regular average book, if I get into it, takes me about a day or so to read, and if it has continuations, having to wait for them is agony. Comic books just are too short of stories (and too expensive, to buy by the bagful, to make worth reading), and then waiting for the next one, to either be put back into agony waiting for the next, or disapointed because the story writers drop the ball; and from what I read on this thread, they do that quite often, and repeat too many of the same stories lines too much. So, why should I bother with them? Sure, maybe some of them have some decent to awesome artwork, and some of the artwork I see can be called pukeworthy, but still, I'd rather just read a nice book without the distractions of someone elses art influencing my own imagination, which does quite well on its own. :P

Sorry, in a rant mode today.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Rebecca Iavelli wrote:According to Mark, he said the new Wonder Woman is really good.

As the Mark in question, yes Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman (only up to issue 19 as of this month) is very, very good. (and I don't care whether you're a woman or not, you're still gonna like it).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Batman:. Dark Knight Returns is good but dated. The Killing Joke is hands down the best. The Year One hardcover from last year was a fun read too. I also recommend trying The Sandman series (it handles that cross between comics and fantasy). Identity Crisis is a great mini series. John Rogers D&D comics is good too. Matt Fraction's early run on Iron Man was good, the Bendis Daredevil stories are strong, I love the yellow lantern arc that lead into Blackest Night. To be honest, the death of Superman was a weak story but the issues that followed were good (world without a superman)
salamanca

Postby Lord_Nabu » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:10 am

salamanca wrote:Batman:. Dark Knight Returns is good but dated. The Killing Joke is hands down the best. The Year One hardcover from last year was a fun read too. I also recommend trying The Sandman series (it handles that cross between comics and fantasy). Identity Crisis is a great mini series. John Rogers D&D comics is good too. Matt Fraction's early run on Iron Man was good, the Bendis Daredevil stories are strong, I love the yellow lantern arc that lead into Blackest Night. To be honest, the death of Superman was a weak story but the issues that followed were good (world without a superman)

Batman: year one is one of my favourites ever, good Frank Miller story not marred by his art but David Mazzucchellis fantastic drawings. The first Nolan Batman used this, but the comic is SO much better (and I quite liked Batman Begins).

And of course the first collection of Dr. Strange (the big Phone-book style one) is incredible, it's even better in colour, but that's hard to find.
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Lord_Nabu wrote:Batman: year one is one of my favourites ever

Forgot to mention this earlier L_N but just thought you should know they turned B:Y1 into an animated movie.
Attachments
Batman-Year-One-DVD-Cover.jpg

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Just read that Green Lantern #20 will be a extra sized issue for 8 bucks. Apparently Mr. Johns has forgotten story pacing. Pretty sure there is nothing about this story worth 8 bucks. Think I am done with Green Lantern and the Red Lanterns who are just not doing anything at all in their book. On the other end of the scale, James Robinson did a great issue of Earth 2 this month and earned a reprieve from the drop list.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:34 pm

I keep getting annoyed with Dynamite's regular Shadow title (apart from Year One). The art is fine, but storytelling-wise it feels like it's lacking in something. And the pacing just feels rushed.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:48 pm

The shadow is missing : style, villiany, a direction, and fear of the shadow. The book is a strikeout.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 am

Yup I picked up (what will probably be) my last issue of The Shadow this week. If it fails to give me the chills, its gone.

On the plus side, got a bunch of good in my pull. Morning Glories, Clone, Guardians of the Galaxy, the final issue of The Answer, Saga, Lost Vegas, and a fun little viking/horror story called Helheim.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 pm

One of the gems of my collection. 8-)

Lady Grace

Postby Lord_Nabu » Wed May 01, 2013 3:26 am

Lady Grace wrote:Image

One of the gems of my collection. 8-)

SWEEEET!
Lord_Nabu

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters