E book reader

The place for everything else.

E book reader

Postby Lord_Nabu » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:57 pm

By now I have a number of RPGs as (legal) .pdfs and the number doesn't seem to become less in the coming years, while I do love physical books, .pdfs are both cheap and easy to get (no double entendres here!).

However, I'm lousy at siting in front of my computer reading, I prefer to do it on the toilet or in my bed. Now I could buy a tablet, but I don't like reading on a back-lit screen, and I would just end up playing games on it. So I'm considering buying an E-book reader. But, does anyone have any experiance with reading .pdfs on one of those? I would imagine you have to scroll around on the page and that would be an immense hassle?
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Re: E book reader

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:04 pm

The only experience I had is with the original Sony e-Book reader. I could put all my pdfs on it but because there was artwork, it took forever (and I really do mean forever, upwards of 3-4 hours) for pages with artwork to load.

But this was upwards of 5 years ago, so I'd assume they'd made improvements since then.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:28 am

Sorry, mine is a backlit color tablet. But the solution is to simply not load any games on it. I highly recommend skipping any apps for blokus, carcassonne, senet, set, mancala, ww1 biplane combat, and whatnot. One benefit of that color screen is the comic book downloads that you can magnify.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Amazon does make a larger screened version. I know someone who uses one for wargame books. There is still some scrolling but not too bad.
spizio

Postby smafdi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 pm

I have a nook color, not the nook tablet, and it loads pdfs ok, there's a little slow-down but not too bad when switching pages. Though the color is really good for reading comics.
smafdi

Postby Lord_Nabu » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm

hmmm, thanks for all the feedback, I'll have to think some more.

and Sal, that is EXACTLY why I leave my phone downstairs when I go to bed...
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Return to Mundane Matters