The NEW 7th Sea Movie Inspiration List

The place for everything else.

The NEW 7th Sea Movie Inspiration List

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:47 am

Ok so a conversation us GMs have been having on our secret board got me to thinking. We really SHOULD update the 7th Sea Movie Inspiration List (for those who don't know what I'm talking about, HERE'S the original list (please ignore Nancy Berman's commentary, as she's responsible for all the very worst 7th Sea books).

So, here are the rules. You can't use anything from that list (yes, we know most of them are great and all of us want to mention Brotherhood of the Wolf and Pirates of the Caribbean). This is just for new stuff.

So, my suggestions thus far

The Borgias - it was on Showtime and caught an untimely death, but if you want to know the type of game I'm planning for our third campaign, you should be watching this...

Anonymous - an alternate version of who actually wrote Shakespeare's plays (and a rebellion to boot)

Black Death - I've mentioned this one here and there, a young priest takes a group of Inquisitors to a small, isolated village that has mysteriously avoided the surrounding plague.

The Eagle - Completely wrong time period I know, but a compelling story and lots of good moments to add to your thinking

Kingdom of Heaven - again completely wrong time period. This one gets unfairly dinged like Cutthroat Island. Good historical ideas for your campaign.

Ladyhawke - More fantasy than swashbuckly, but you can't tell me after watching it that the story isn't screaming 7th Sea.

On Guard - This has been mentioned on and off. I like this movie, I like everything about it SAVE the end. If you can stop it before the last few minutes, you'll love it. And terrific swordfighting.

Ravenous - Great story that's perfect for any Eisen campaign.

Rob Roy - But wait a sec, Mark. You say, Rob Roy's got to be on the original list! You're cheating! Nope sorry, for some reason they ignored this flick AND its near-legendary final fight scene.

Stardust - wrong era, wrong world, wrong everything (including a dash of steampunk) but I can't think of a story that is more pure swashbuckling than this. And Neil Gaiman wrote it BONUS!

Treasure Island - This is the original of course, and for some reason was left off the 7th Sea inspiration list. That's a travesty.

Valhalla Rising - While we Americans turn away from swashbuckling (or historical fantasy if you prefer) our neighbors across the pond are hard at work giving us some fun romps (I think with a little push this particular one could take a spot near Brotherhood of the Wolf).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: The NEW 7th Sea Movie Inspiration List

Postby kenderleech » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:47 pm

No fancy links, and i lean a little mre to fantasy, but, Willow, the original voyage of the dawn treader and prince caspian.
kenderleech

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm

"The Road to El Dorado"
"The Princess Bride" (seriously, it wasn't on the list!)

Mike would demand I put in "The 13th Warrior".
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Lady Grace wrote:"The Princess Bride" (seriously, it wasn't on the list!)

10 Points from Gryffindor for SERIOUSLY poor search-fu.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Just for the record: Road to El Dorado was a huge influence on the creation of Rodrigo and Arturo (jeremy's original R&C character) they have the middle names of Miguel and Tulio. I shall add the 2009 Solomon Kane movie. It paces like a game session should and includes scenes I think they swiped from Mark's. And to start the fight over best 3 musketeers... The version with Vincent Price as Richelieu and Gene Kelly as D'artagnan.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:09 am

salamanca wrote:And to start the fight over best 3 musketeers... The version with Vincent Price as Richelieu and Gene Kelly as D'artagnan.

You know I don't think I've ever seen this version. The three I have are Disney (which btw, I love as it has the most coherent story of the lot, even if it totally messes with canon), the one everyone thinks of (with Michael York as D'Artagnan) and an old silent film (with Douglas Fairbanks as D'Artagnan).

I won't fight over the best, but I think we can all agree the worst is that steampunk abomination that just came out.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby svensven » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:42 am

Dangerous Beauty is pretty much the Story of Vodacce and is required viewing.
svensven

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:18 pm

I know Mark wouldn't have seen this movie, as he doesn't care for the main character actress (Drew Barrymore), and it may not be "swashbuckling" enough for him, but its great to see for the era costumes and there is a nice little sword/dagger fight between the prince and a gypsy. It's more "fairytale" based, but I enjoyed it.
"Ever After" (based after Cinderella).
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Another one that probably should be on the list, especially for Vesten, is "BeoWulf & Grendel", a recent movie staring Gerard Butler (drool!), though I find it hard to keep my attention, as it is a bit slow. Came out in 2005 from what I can tell from the back of the cover. Again, another one for great costumes of the era.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Lady Grace » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm

I appreciated "Ever After"...it was a sweet film. :)
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:51 pm

The Kelly version has Vincent Price as Richelieu... That is reason enogh to look for it. and "the Musketeer was a pretty lousy version too.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:24 am

salamanca wrote:"The Musketeer" was a pretty lousy version too.

Yup hated that one too (not really a fan of strung-from-wires fight choreography) but the story itself is surprisingly close to canon.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Not a movie but a series, and it isn't out yet so I have to give it just a 'possible' recommendation, but Black Sails makes it's way to Starz starting in January. You better bet I'll be checking it out.

Here's the synopsis
1715. The Golden Age of Piracy in the Caribbean is at its apex. The former British colony of New Providence Island is now lawless territory, controlled by the most notorious pirate captains in history. The most feared among them is CAPTAIN FLINT.

But as the British Navy returns to these waters, threatening to exterminate Flint and his crew, another side of him emerges. Driven by deep, complicated, even romantic motives, Flint allies himself with the formidable ELEANOR GUTHRIE, daughter of the local smuggling kingpin who turns the pirates’ loot into profits. Together, they forge a plan to hunt the ultimate prize, and by winning it, stave off reclamation of their home to ensure their survival.

Arrayed against them are a series of opponents: rival captains, jealous of Flint's power; Eleanor's father, whose ambitions for the island conflict with his daughter’s; and a young sailor, JOHN SILVER, recently recruited onto Flint's crew, who will somehow manage to constantly undermine his captain’s agenda.

So from what I can gather, it's Captain Flint and his crew before the events of Treasure Island. And best of all one of the characters is named, Rackham!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Alright, no one got as excited about Black Sails as I did, I'm guessing that since its on Starz not as many of you will be seeing it. And sure, there was a bit of talking about Vikings cause sure, it was awesome, but again, History channel so maybe not everyone gets it. BUT WHY OH WHY did I just discover THIS today?!?!

AND WHY AREN"T YOU ALL FREAKING OUT ABOUT SEEING IT?!?!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lord_Nabu » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:02 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
salamanca wrote:And to start the fight over best 3 musketeers... The version with Vincent Price as Richelieu and Gene Kelly as D'artagnan.

You know I don't think I've ever seen this version.

Dude, that's just ridiculous, it's the proper version!
Besides I rechecked the original list... No "the Adventures of Robin Hood"? no "Mark of Zorro" what was going on with these people? And of course Nancy Berman droning on about costumes and horses.

oh, and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044602/?ref_=fn_al_tt_8 is good as well (though seriously silly).
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby salamanca » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:47 am

well, Nancy never really got what it takes to make awesome adventures in the setting. John had it down pat but kept his lists to direct inspiration (places he swiped ideas) and nobody in between bothered to make a list.

If you asked Patrick, he would start and end the list with Rob Roy.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:02 am

I don't think I mentioned this, but Black Sails has started. I watched the first episode, and while the main plot (pirates going after treasure, duh!) looks to be good fun, I can see this show is going to suffer from one of the problems Game of Thrones on HBO did. Too much superfluous (and gratuitous) nudity. Now I'm no prude and can handle the human body, but when that body interferes with the story, or is just put there to titillate (excuse the pun), it gets tiresome.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:36 am

Watched episode 1 on demand and it ends up edited which means lots of blurry spots all over the screen to hide nakedness and maiming. But it's a good cast playing great dialogue. It's going for Game of Thrones on the high seas in every way. But I am enjoying it despite that effort. My one issue is that I hate the antagonist pirate crew. But I hate them because they have snotty little grins and cliche behaviors not because they are the bad guys.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:48 am

Sorry to be after the fact, but I believe a version of The Three Musketeers began yesterday on BBC.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:23 pm

I had been looking and looking, but I guess it turns out BBC America is not the same as BBC One. So no Musketeers for me, THAT IS, until I went to their website where they have the first THREE episodes available already...

EDIT: AND OF COURSE, they're only available in the UK :evil:

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 pm

I went shopping today, and just happened to find another version of the Three Musketeers.

It stars Don Ameche and the Ritz Brothers. It is a musical comedy, copyright 1939.

Edit: Its not to bad, considering, but wow, they really like fast horses in this movie, lol.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Famous reference to this movie is an episode of "Leave it to Beaver". The Beav tries to fake his way out of a book report by watching the movie (as suggested by notorious cheat Eddie Haskell) and naturally, he picks the one comedy version of the film and gets nailed for it.

For it's time, it's a good silly romp.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Yeah, I liked it. Also, that's pretty neat trivia about it Dave!
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:58 pm

Yeah... I know far too much about tv shows that aired before I was born. And far too much about shows that aired after that as well. But I can't tell you a thing about tv in the 21st century.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 10, 2014 8:31 am

I know Mike mentioned that The Three Musketeers had started on BBC One. But it turns out the show I was referring to The Musketeers, had not been released yet. Well I just happened to check their website and it turns out they're premiering the show a month from now (on BBC America), Sunday June 22nd @ 9pm. So it looks like I'm going to be able to watch it after all!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mundane Matters