AEG's use of the world/license

The place for everything else.

AEG's use of the world/license

Postby svensven » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:05 pm

AEG is now a VERY prolific board game publisher. Their titles (Smash-up, Guildhall, the Tempest series, Trains) receive rave reviews and are very highly regarded by the industry and players alike.

So WHY in HECKFIRE are they not using the 7th Sea world to set board games in!!!

I myself could take their Nightfall deck building system and reskin it to 7th Sea for one AWESOME game.

Matt
svensven

Re: AEG's use of the world/license

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:30 pm

Not a clue. I guess they consider it a dead property (one that doesn't inspire people to purchase).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:31 pm

And yet, they refuse to let other have the license for a so-called "dead" property. :x
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby svensven » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 pm

That is the rub. In Board Gaming you see licenses handed around like candy. If you don't publish a game in a line within 3 years, it reverts to the designer who can then go to any publishing house he wants to try to get it made again. That's how Fantasy Flight gets a lot of their games... off the scrap heap from designers who did not continue the license.

AEG has such a rich world that would make for an excellent board game setting. I wish they'd do that with 7th Sea.
svensven

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Well right now I hear they've got themselves quite the hit with Smash Up
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Local users not withstanding 7th Sea is a niche role playing game in the already niche tabletop RPG market. I have to say even though there is a lot of material to mine it probably won't be cost effective to buy the liscences to do it. Not when you can make a generic pirate game at no additional cost. Or alternately if you want a liscence go with something that the masses will have heard of like Treasure Island or Pirates of the Caribean.
spizio

Postby salamanca » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Smash Up is not what I would call a good game. Popular, sells well but it lacks in variety even with all the combo options. Many of the factions repeat abilities. I have voluntarily played it 4 or 5 times at the local shop to fill out a demo group. In every session, I have found myself in a position where I could finish second and choose the winner but had zero chance of winning for myself. And for the same guy to end up in that position in every game means something is not balanced. (and the player who plays first has a huge advantage in our sessions based on results).
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I've only ever seen it played once, just listened to the sounds coming from those playing it. But 'good' wasn't really my criterion. I meant people bought it a lot. For myself (cue smafdi showing up here REAL soon) I'd rather play Sentinels of the Multiverse

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Yes you should play Sentinels of the Multiverse! Do you like super heroes? Do you like thwarting villans? Are you a communist? wait... that one doesn't make sense........
smafdi

Postby svensven » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:17 pm

My wife and I probably play Sentinels of the Multiverse 2-3 times a week. I love that game and that game company!
svensven

Return to Mundane Matters