Hobbit part 2: no spoilers

The place for everything else.

Hobbit part 2: no spoilers

Postby kenderleech » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:28 am

The lights came on; and from the greater part of geekdom, did cry "Damn you Peter Jackson" and with much tearfulness, many did swear to see each other one year and four days hence, and thusly foresworn, did head into the frozen waste of the fields of Par-king.
kenderleech

Re: Hobbit part 2: no spoilers

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:16 am

You know, I've read this now 4 times, and I'm still not sure whether you thought it was good or not. ;)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 am

I think he said they will be there to see part 3, if you read this part :

and with much tearfulness, many did swear to see each other one year and four days hence, and thusly foresworn, did head into the frozen waste of the fields of Par-king.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:53 am

They're geeks, of course they're going to see it. It could be 17 hours of Peter Jackson picking his nose while singing a cover of Leonard Nimoy's The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins and they'd go see it.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes, it was amazing. Yes, i was irritated about 2 times with divergences from the book. yes, im going to go see the third one (aduh). No, i wouldnt pay to watch pete jackson pick his nose to the ballad of bilbo, i have it on record, i can sit at home and pick my own nose to it.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:26 am

I'm shouting spoilers here. A member of the Fellowship shows up and doesn't get killed. (if you didn't see or hear that he was showing up, your cave is deeper than moria and I, of all people, recommend you connect to society). That somebody steals everybody's thunder. Gandalf proves he still has no actual talent. A dragon shows up. Really great bits get ruined by CGI efforts to 3D stuff into impossibility. And it ends like a season of Game of Thrones... Stuff just stops and we get credits. Got in free, still kinda want some money back. But the dragon looked good.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Lord_Nabu » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:11 pm

I haven't actually managed to watch the first one yet, haven't been to the cinema in years, and can't be arsed to sit down and watch it (though I do have it on DVD).

Some of my wife's co-workers (High-school teachers) went and watched it, they suggest PJ gt a copy of the book and read it. that's partly why I haven't seen any of them yet.
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Postby salamanca » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Well, Pete didn't exactly. Do all the work here. He farmed out the directing (which is part of my problem). Then let Hollywood drop in new characters and return people that were never in the book (like a certain blond elf) I don't mind adding in the Necromancer bits and expanding some story for the orcs that are chasing them but at the very least, the Dwarves should be the heroes of the story and overcome their opposition on their own. And this easily could have been done in two films.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:36 am

For myself it's a storytelling issue. I want a movie to tell a story. One story. That means, a beginning, a middle, and an end. I made an exception for LoTR since they were three books, but still it's even just one story. In general though, I dislike paying more than once to see different parts of the same story (Matrix, Pirates of the Caribbean, Empire Strikes Back, I'm looking at all of you here). It's ok to leave dangling plot threads, but there has to be some sense of finality. And the Hobbit isn't even trying. They're just basically saying pay us three times the cost of a ticket so you can see a story that's been fluffed up a bit.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Mundane Matters