Here comes the storm...

The place for everything else.

Re: Here comes the storm...

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Forgot to give you all an update on this, "The STORM OF THE CENTURY!" Now this may come as a shock to you, so I want those of you with weak constitutions to sit down before continuing.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

But not for Total Con...
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:10 pm

I'd be just as happy if it didn't. Not that I mind snow but the morons who run our power grid can never seem to make it through a single storm without the power going out for a week or so.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:41 am

Well we're deep in the heart of the latest STORM OF THE CENTURY (For real this time we mean it. Hey stop laughing!) And surprise, surprise it was another less than spectacular showing. Now we got probably a foot, so it was heavy, but the wind gusts were pitiful (17-19mph rather than the sustained 35+ they threatened). That combined with the tiny light nature of the snow meant that nothing stuck to the wires leaving us with electricity (so far).

So the wife and I have finally had enough. This summer we're getting the house re-wired to add in a generator. Screw this noise. I'm sick of worrying about whether we'll have to wait a week for the damn power company to get around to getting our power back up.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:14 pm

So, Mark, have the kids asked you to make them real Snowcones? (Snow with flavored syrup).

I imagine that they are going to be having a blast tomorrow, after the storm is over to actually get out and make snowmen.

If you can't tell, I'm sitting here bored, and bouncing off the walls. Been watching a Supernatural Marathon of DVD's for the last couple of days, and trying to figure out exactly how I want to write the idea I have for a game of it I would like to run eventually, based on an idea I had recently, about a old local legend in the town I grew up in. :)
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Don't eat the yellow snow!
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:03 pm

No, no, no, don't worry. It's lemon

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:07 pm

Rebecca Iavelli wrote:So, Mark, have the kids asked you to make them real Snowcones? (Snow with flavored syrup).

Growing up, we made snow ice cream with a bit of milk, some sugar, plus a dash of vanilla.
Sister Sonya

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:23 am

So, does Juno have any snow left in her?
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:16 am

I don't know, but she finished up here, leaving a dinosaur shit load and then some. I'm having to shovel out my walkway in stages, as there is so much snow, and so cold I can't shovel the whole thing at one time, because my hands freeze, and my lungs are not happy. This is when/how I usually get my winter chest colds, from overheating my lungs shoveling, while breathing in cold air. I do not need another bout of walking pneumonia, as I have had enough shares in my lifetime.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:43 am

Well, have warmed up again, and have had breakfast, so getting ready for round 2 of shovel out the walkway, so we can eventually leave the house. As it is, my car didn't start up the other day, I think because I didn't keep at least a half a tank of gas in her, so I have to wait til it warms up enough to see if she will start up.

Ok, back in a bit, and hopefully with a lot more cleared.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Plow guy came by and did most of the driveway for us, but that still leaves me to get the mailbox, garbage cans and a place for Natasha to do her business. And of course, while doing that I hurt my back. So inside now, hopefully later today I can get to it (have the kiddos home too, so lots more fun).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Finished! I can now get out to the street, so I can get to the train station tomorrow for work. My boss called me to see how things were going. Told me to stay home for the rest of the day, and plan on going in tomorrow morning. Said things were slow, as we did not get our deliveries today, but will get everything tomorrow.

I now have watched seasons 1 through 5 of Supernatural in the last few days, so now I have to find something else to watch.

Mark, I don't think I will be making it to your house on Friday, as I may have to work, and also still have to wait for the gas line in the car to unfreeze so it will start.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:39 am

Storm Linus is upon us, about 5 inches on the ground now and 5-8 more later. Blizzard after 2PM blowing in all around.

Weather channel says 18-24 inches for Boston Monday as Linus heads east.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:05 pm

Oh how SICK I am of these repeated storms. Kiddos have had 3 day weekends (at least) for the past three weeks in a row (school just called to say they won't be going tomorrow). Geez, I WANT them to go back.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm so with you there Mark. The mounds of snow are getting to high for me to shovel over, the snow just rolls back into the path I'm trying to shovel. We got lucky about the driveway though. Same guy that cleared it once last year came by, and cleaned it out again for us. So now we wait to see what we get tonight, as this is supposed to be the bigger part of this set of storms. I don't know if I'm going to work tomorrow yet or not.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:04 pm

From Countdown TotalCon:

quote="Sister Sonya"]Weather Channel in Chicago as of 8:00 PM CST --> 13 more inches of show for Boston! :cry:[/quote]
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:47 am

So now it looks like snow on and off right up to TotalCon. Gonna be fun trying to find a parking spot.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Well, I just checked the MBTA to see how to get to work tomorrow, and found out that I will be having the day off again, because the MBTA is not going to be working at all tomorrow. Every thing except a few buses will be closed down, while they try to clean up the snow mess. So I'm home for another day.

So far, they said we have had more snow now than we did in the storm of 1978. They had somewhere around 59 inches then, and they say we have over 61 now.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:01 am

Weather report says Neptune will drop another 11" of snow.
Sister Sonya

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Neptune will have gusts of wind 50-60 mph, wind chills -30.

Octavia and I arrive Wednesday. <shiver>
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Don't listen to the weathermen from the northeast, Mike. They're notoriously hyperbolic and stunningly inaccurate. If you'd added up all the snow we were supposed to have had it'd be well over 5'. We've got a lot but I'd bet its around half that. Also as for the temp/wind chill, remember they're giving you Boston which is, like Chicago, right next to the water. Our temps (and we're just a 15 min backwoods ride from the con) is low of 19 with winds 25-35mph with occasional gusts up to 40.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Well, Valentine's Day is over for me! Had a hour and a half drive in lovely slippery snow, and wasn't sure if the car would make it up the hill I have to go up before I get to Natick, where I live, but she did good, and only slipped a couple of times going around corners, and thankfully not many cars on the road, so I had plenty of room to move. Now to see how deep its going to get to have to shovel out again. With the drifts from what has come down already, since about 3pm, I already had a foot of snow on my walkway trail between the mounds of snow that I walk through to get to my front door. UGH!!!
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:34 am

How has the weather been since I left?

In Chicago, we've had about four inches of new snow, but that's it in four days!
Sister Sonya

Postby thistledown » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:52 am

And here in California our farmers just got handed another year of not tapping into federal water because the drought is too severe.
thistledown

Postby salamanca » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Well to be fair, the only things in California that are a problem are Earth, Air, Fire and Water.

But the drought issue both there and Texas are a big problem. when it starts hurting crops and livestock, nobody wins.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters