Here comes the storm...

The place for everything else.

Here comes the storm...

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:54 pm

And here we all are going out to get the bread and milk
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Here comes the storm...

Postby cpugs » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Bread, milk and eggs... Key ingredients for French toast......
cpugs

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:55 pm

Add flowers to that list. I have never seen it so crazy for this "holiday" where people were buying flowers like hotcakes! We actually had to call to another store to get some more flowers or we would have nothing to sell tomorrow.

As it is we are supposed to get the storm, so I doubt we will sell anything tomorrow anyway.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 am

While I am unaware of any runs on food goods at our local grocery stores, I will be more than happy to see the snow move on from the midwest (with any luck, it'll lose some steam on it's way east). I believe we've gotten at least 6 inches or so between last night and today.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:18 am

they're forecasting 8-12" for us now
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:36 am

meanwhile I am only supposed to get 2-4 inches here in indiana.
kenderleech

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:12 am

Traffic on Interstate 355 was slowed to 40-45 mph for three of the last four commutes to VerneCon this week.
Sister Sonya

Postby Lady Grace » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:40 pm

It is horrible right now. I'm trying to steel myself to go outside and shovel the driveway.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby spizio » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:59 am

Recently seen in Altimira

sno.jpg
spizio

Postby salamanca » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:37 am

That Vesten needs a bigger blower. Something with a wider and higher auger to move more snow.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:40 am

salamanca wrote:...Something with a wider and higher auger to move more snow.

And bodies, don't forget the bodies.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:58 am

Forgot to give you all an update on this, "The STORM OF THE CENTURY!" Now this may come as a shock to you, so I want those of you with weak constitutions to sit down before continuing.

We all set?

Good.

It turns out the forecasters may have slightly overestimated how devastated we'd be by this storm. There was no murder, pillaging, or rape (though I did try to start a pillaging meet-up) nor did we resort to cannibalism as was expected (I simply ate my youngest whole because he was trying to usurp my rightful place beside my wife). Now I know that some news agencies were reporting that the fifth seal was broken and Gabriel sounded his horn. But those reports were exaggerated, since they were actually just my kiddos playing with the leftover vuvuzela horns that had been discarded since they are no longer cool (not that they ever really were).

We never lost power, the storm was never really devastating and other than todays -7 low, it's really not been that bad at all.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:32 pm

And, Wonder of Wonders, I have my car already shoveled out, so I may actually show up tomorrow for gaming!

I had gone outside when the sun came out yesterday, to see how bad it was, had started to shovel the car out, when a guy with a plow on his truck stopped to ask if I wanted him to plow it out. I asked how much, he told me $40 bucks, and I said sure! So it really cut down the shoveling time! Though if he had asked for $100 bucks, I probably would have agreed, just not to have to shovel the hill pushed up behind my car from the snowplows. I just would have had to walk to the bank to get the money. Anyway, all is good. :D
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:25 pm

Our high for Monday is projected to be -12 F.
Sister Sonya

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Between Tuesday afternoon and noon on Thursday, we got about 14" of snow, and it looks like we'll be getting another 4-6" tonight.

Tomorrow's high is supposed to be a whopping 9 (wind chill of -14), and a low of -18 (wind chill of -44). Monday's high is predicted at -12(wind chill of -38), and a low of -13 (wind chill of -40). Might be a good day to work from home.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:51 am

yep, but it's my fault it will be that cold monday.

Loading a truck full of calendar store shelves to ship back to Texas. It always falls on a day with freezing temps and or nasty snow.

Side note from Thursday last. due to the holiday, local plow teams failed to actually dfo their jobs making the roads pretty much impassable. Spent the night at Bravada's house playing Eldritch Horror while holding the new baby. (it's hard to play a Fantasy Flight game full of bits while holding a baby) We won and the weather cleared.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:46 pm

salamanca wrote:yep, but it's my fault it will be that cold monday.

Thanks, Dave. ;)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:53 am

-9 degrees right now -- and I have to wait for a bus in about 30 minutes... :(
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:21 pm

-9 and it's a -35 wind chill. So be safe out there. Additionally, I am working outside "Cold Topic" today. The store had a heating malfunction overnight AND thier water pipes froze and split. Other than worrying about the dog's paws on our 3 minute bathroom walk, I happen to be just fine so far.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:48 pm

Got home safe, thankfully. Triple layered, plus cayenne in my shoes and I still felt horribly cold. I am so done with winter right now...

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:53 pm

You got a good 10 more weeks. But after today, who cares. It will just be lousy and not bitterly lousy. Also note: I started work at -9 and finished at +5. That's like walking in when it's 65 and leaving when it's 80. Not bad at all. Tomorrow may hit +19, the kids will be running around in shorts (actually, one guy was at the mall in shorts today...i avoided him as he is obviously insane)
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 pm

The piled snow in the middle of my cul-de-sac is now down to about 4' high. There is no longer as much chance of a collision from a blind-side.
Sister Sonya

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:22 am

...and for the encore!

We may be getting as much as 17" of snow, after a start of rain during tomorrow's rush hour in the evening.
Sister Sonya

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Sister Sonya wrote:We may be getting as much as 17" of snow.

Fizzle, barely six, but enough blowing wind to stay home from work.
Sister Sonya

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Had to hit the driveway twice due to the icy slush build up...my back hates me.

Lady Grace

Next

Return to Mundane Matters