MOVIE CHALLENGE: The GREATEST 7th Sea Movie

The place for everything else.

MOVIE CHALLENGE: The GREATEST 7th Sea Movie

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Ok, inspired by Dave's comment on the NEW 7th Sea Movie Inspiration List thread (specifically this)

salamanca wrote:If you asked Patrick, he would start and end the list with Rob Roy.

I want to challenge you all. Give your pick for the one movie that encapsulates what 7th Sea truly is (or ought to be).

Now here's the tough part, you have to defend your choice. The argument can be as simple as, "Its what I think of when someone asks about 7th Sea" but there has to be a reason.

So for example, I wouldn't go with Patrick's pick. Not that it isn't a great movie (cause it is) but it misses several key elements I think 7th Sea needs, like 1) The movie is bleak. Unless you're in Eisen, I think the movie should be bright and shiny. 2) The ending needs to be BIG. Not that the swordfight at the end of Rob Roy wasn't awesome (it's the reason you should see it if nothing else about it interests you) but all that happened is his honor was satisfied. Where was the world saving, over the top heroics? That btw is also the failing of a lot of the pirate based movies, Pirates of the Caribbean, Cutthroat Island, they went after the treasure, sure, but life pretty much continued as it had. And 3) (going back to Rob Roy), it lacked pirates.

So, that's why I'd nominate my choice of Disney's The Three Musketeers. Bright and shiny, world-changing ending (save the King and get rid of Cardinal Richelieu), treasure (the Treaty), Lots and lots of swordfights in fun and interesting places (and without that fly-by-wire crap), right time period, and PIRATES (Porthos anyone?)

Problems I see with it: No secret societies, no scientific invention (unless you count Porthos' many weapon inventions), no metaplot involvement (weird aliens) and no magic.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: MOVIE CHALLENGE: The GREATEST 7th Sea Movie

Postby salamanca » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:44 pm

JOHN WICK'S answer would likely be "Dangerous Beauty". I'm pretty sure that film is what prompted his wife to ask him to make a game about that. And I think it covers almost all of Vodacce. But MY CHOICE is... "The Princess Bride". It's got action, it's got sword fights, it's got pirates...ok, it's got kissing and true love but don't hold that against it. It also has better rules for exploit weakness than the game. But it's got everything you need. If I need to show one movie to coerce someone to play, it's this one.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: MOVIE CHALLENGE: The GREATEST 7th Sea Movie

Postby Lord_Nabu » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:26 pm

actually the only thing lacking in "the Princess Bride" is Erroll Flynn... then it would have been perfect!
My personal 2nd ed. 7th Sea can be found here: http://theah.sanctum.dk/#home be forewarned might be too simulationist for the weak of heart.
Lord_Nabu

Return to Mundane Matters