Help for next year's Total Con

The place for everything else.

Help for next year's Total Con

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Every year I run a kids only game on Sundays (mostly for my two oldest who are now big enough to go). The convention just ended and normally I don't think about what I might do for the next year until maybe a month or two before hand. But this year I got a particularly cool (at least I think) idea to do a supers adventure based on JL8 if you don't know what it is, there's the link, and you're welcome. Problem is, the supers RPGs I know of (GURPs Supers, Champions, Mutants & Masterminds, and to a lesser extent Brave New World and Rotted Capes) are too rules heavy to run with 7-8 year olds (the average age for the kids who show up at my kids only adventures). So anyone have any suggestions for an RPG with easy-to-learn rules?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Help for next year's Total Con

Postby salamanca » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 am

The original TSR Marvel system. Everything is roll percentile and consult ONE universal chart. You could even skip listing the numbers and just use the adjectives for the kids. Ignore the preset levels of how much amazing or monstrous can lift and just make it internally consistant. And the best part is all of it is findable as downloads for free on a couple fan sites. Putside of that, there have been a couple other short lived marvel heroic story telling systems that might work and several folks love the MWP Cortex designs. But I would go back to the 80's and FASERIP marvel.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 pm

salamanca wrote:The original TSR Marvel system... And the best part is all of it is findable as downloads for free on a couple fan sites.

Wow were you right, I've been downloading stuff all day. Now I just need to find a system that makes it points buy instead of random (not that it's really going to be a problem since I am going to make the characters myself).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:36 am

If you are building them all, just model the characters. They do not (I repeat, NOT) need to be evenly matched for points. Particularly for JL8... The point is that some of the kids ARE more powerful and sometimes that is NOT fair. Bue EVERYBODY is good at SOMETHING and has a place to be the hero. The advanced system having power stunts should cover Barry and the Martial Arts and Stealthy stuff will take care of Bruce. HAL JUST GETS A PILE OF STUFF LIKE FORCE FIELD AND ENERGY BLAST but is limited to use one at a time. It might be interesting to make Clark and Kara identical but Kara a bit better because girls grow faster than boys at that age.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:41 am

Keep an eye out for the combat wheel they did for that. It may have been in an avengers source guide. It was something you cut out and fastened with a brad that rotated to show you TN for each color success. The kids can then look up their own numbers. (but it removes your ability to fudge for them). Yeah, I played a lot of that system when it was released...30 years later and I can still see sections of text in my head.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 pm

And when you mention something this goofy, it up and appears!

Not the wheel, that is way obscure and now that I think about it, it was in the New York, New york supplement.

But the ORIGINAL, Marvel Superheroes Roleplaying Game Basic Edition Yellow Box from 1983. The Box was mostly intact but I did not have the opportunity to double check the contents. It's a bit crunched and at 20 bucks a little pricey for what it is.

But ti was sitting on a shelf in a vintage toy store right next to a Moldvay edition Expert box in pristine condition, a Mentzer Companion set, Boot Hill, Car Wars and the Car Wars Duel Track expansion. (each for 20-25 bucks) I thought I was turned around and standing in my spare game storage room.
salamanca

Return to Mundane Matters