those bands you do not love enough

The place for everything else.

those bands you do not love enough

Postby salamanca » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:42 pm

I was driving around the other day and realized there are bamds I love, bands I really love and bands I don't love enough. This is about that third group. The bands with songs you like and maybe sing along with when nobody can hear you. BUT YOU JUST DON'T LOVE THEM ENOUGH TO BUY THEIR MUSIC. I was thinking about who fits that list for me and was surprised by the bands I have never bought music from. Led Zeppelin,. The Pretenders, Thin Lizzy, The Scorpions, The Raspberries, David Bowie, and a couple other big acts. Yet I own 4 Rush live and/or hits albums that have the same 10 songs on them. Do I like Rush more than Zeppelin?. Nope, can't say I do. (sorry Grace, it's true). Is it that I hear these guys more on the radio?. In some cases, yes but not all of these bands get heavy rotation. (the Raspberries, being Cleveland natives, get surprisingly minimal airtime here). It could just be that I love them but not enough. So let's see some lists folks. Who do you love but not enough to take home.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: those bands you do not love enough

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Like them but not enough to buy their music? I don't understand. I mean I understand the words, I'm just not sure you can put them together that way and have the sentence still make sense.

In truth, since the advent of digital music, I own pretty much every single song I ever wanted to listen to. My current project is to recreate a playlist of 80s music with every single song I loved from high school. It's sitting currently at around 400 songs but I add to it every day. Not whole albums, because, lets face it, tons of bands from the 80s don't have more than one song worth listening to.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Some of us just are not normal. Sorry.

The last time I bought anything, Tower Records was going out of business... bought 234 CDs and 86 DVRs (most of the DVRs are operas).

I've been thinking about a big order from Amazon, but that may take a while...
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Well, I guess I would have to put the Rolling Stones on this list. While I listen to them on the radio, and know their music enough to sing along, I have never bought anything that they have put out. Same with Elton John and Rod Stewart. Love a lot of what they do, but have never bought any of their music. The Beatles would almost be under the same category, except my first 45 I ever owned was one of their songs: All My Loving.

Totally different situation with The Monkees, Roy Orbison, Queen,and America. I like them and I do have albums from them. The one that I don't have anymore that I need to get a updated CD version is from Kansas. While I don't really listen to their music that much, they have the one song that I love and think is the most true to words song, and its my favorite of all songs: Dust In The Wind.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Mark, 400 songs is a lot of Rick Springfield. Funny thing with the Beatles. I own about 3 albums and 5 45s but it's all original vinyl. I don't have any in a format I own a music player. Same thing with The Who now that I think about it. But both get enough airplay I have no reason to rush out and upgrade.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:11 am

Ah crap! I don't have any Rick Springfield. Off to iTunes...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 pm

what about the Outfield? did you forget them too?

Fine Young Cannibals?

Bruce Cockburn, Buckner and Garcia, Aldo Nova, Soft Cell, The Dazz Band, Autograph, The Firm, The Fixx, Boys Don't Cry, Oran "Juice" Jones, Timbuk 3, Timex Social Club, Bobby McFerrin, and Roachford can all probably be ignored for your list.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:19 pm

I actually have The Outfield on CD (and FYC, Aldo Nova, AND The Fixx) I downloaded almost all those other's one hits long ago.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Forgot to show some love here for KIRBY KRACKLE. They may be the coolest nerd rock band in the world. They just did a cover of the "Everything is Awesome" song from the Lego movie, the theme song for Happy Tree Friends on youtube and generally make cool but geeky songs about superhero stuff. And because I don't shop digitally, I am lacking their stuff. Go check them out.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:43 am

Funny you should mention that song Dave, as I remember it was mentioned at Mark's yesterday by one of his kids, I believe Kelley, and she was saying it was the song she could use to irritate her brother David with. Not quite sure if I am remembering right, as I was distracted by our board game, but I think that was the song, because Mark made some comment on it too.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:47 am

Rebecca Iavelli wrote:... Kelley...

Kelly not Kelley

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Ok, thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure if she used the second "e" or not.
Rebecca Iavelli

Return to Mundane Matters