Backgrounds Defined and Clarified

The place to ask questions about taking a Background, discuss Backgrounds, and post your Background, etc.

Re: Backgrounds Defined and Clarified

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:14 pm

Mark:

You don't need any more ammo do you? There's enough posted in Sonya's thread for PAs through to the end of the campaign, at least.

I would like her to get set in the Cathedral at some point, as you are aware of her overall off-and-on goal.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Mike, you can sail easy. Mark has plenty for you for the current schedule. If we get through all that in a timely fashion, I am sure some stuff will pop up in game to create new backgrounds out of as you resolve these.

Apparently, I also have no need to add material as Mark has told me early and often that he not only has plans for me but has a list of people he wants to recruit to play roles within that adventure.

Kara however, needs to submit another 47 pages if we are going to bother doing anything. (just kidding, we will settle for the standard couple of paragraphs)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Ok as we've just passed the "2 Months to Go" mark to Origins, I thought I should remind the Origin players who have backgrounds but have yet to get their part written, NOW would be the perfect time to get those in. I know for a fact there are a few of you who have it on their character sheets but haven't gotten me the written part yet.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 pm

As I've been developing my character I've been thinking up a background that I will get too you soon. I plan on playing in the 4 modules you have listed for Origins as well as the PA.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby salamanca » Fri May 04, 2012 4:58 pm

at the very least, toss us the names of the backgrounds you have purchased (you can send Mark a personal message for that) so we at least have the start of an idea which way you are leaning.

the sooner we have that, the better chance we have to tailor something to your character.

And as one of the very, very few who have seen the write-ups for these, it is amazing how often we can link these to NPCs that are involved in the campaign in some way. A few have also given us the NPC we needed to make the campaign a little more complete.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 04, 2012 5:02 pm

salamanca wrote:at the very least, toss us the names of the backgrounds you have purchased (you can send Mark a personal message for that) so we at least have the start of an idea which way you are leaning.

the sooner we have that, the better chance we have to tailor something to your character.

And as one of the very, very few who have seen the write-ups for these, it is amazing how often we can link these to NPCs that are involved in the campaign in some way. A few have also given us the NPC we needed to make the campaign a little more complete.

QFT! I will just reiterate sooner is always better and detail is my friend.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Fri May 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
salamanca wrote:at the very least, toss us the names of the backgrounds you have purchased (you can send Mark a personal message for that) so we at least have the start of an idea which way you are leaning.

I still have to hash out the details but it is a Vow I made to my Wandering Knight when I was his Tyro. As he was dying he asked me to take his Soldano Sword and find a master to teach me. I made him a Vow (2HP) to do so. Many more details to follow hopefully this weekend.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby salamanca » Fri May 04, 2012 5:47 pm

I would list that as an obligation background. Just to keep things clear from the Vow advantage that is available to the R&C.
salamanca

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Sat May 05, 2012 12:30 am

Gotcha.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Dr. Miguel Contreras wrote:
Black Jack Rackham wrote:

I still have to hash out the details but it is a Vow I made to my Wandering Knight when I was his Tyro. As he was dying he asked me to take his Soldano Sword and find a master to teach me. I made him a Vow (2HP) to do so. Many more details to follow hopefully this weekend.

I hate to do this to you guys, but the more I'm creating this character the more I see that he would not be a fighter type but more of a Doctor/Scholar. So he will have fencing but his Vow or Obligation will be to become a better doctor because he was not able to save his Wandering Knight mentor. He will be on a quest to come up with a better technique or instrument to improve his Diagnosis ability and/or his Surgery ability.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Are there any Backgrounds that are point-blank not allowed/strongly recommended not to take?
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:35 pm

The obvious answer is anything from a prohibited sourcebook. The Cathayan stuff is out, Rilasciare, Crescent Empire, DK, and Sophia's Daughters.

and I'm pretty sure "Sidhe lover" would not be a great option. Everything else we can work with.

(Between you and me, I think we could come up with a good background set for "Dead to the world" from DK too. but Mark will have to give a final decision on that.)

Keep in mind that PAs are the only time to deal with backgrounds so plan on getting to Gencon or Origins to benefit from them.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Hmph, apparently I forgot to respond to this. In general, backgrounds that are specific to countries/purpose of the restricted books (for example, Afyam Addict, Dragon Dreams, Escaped from Tiakhar, Huo Qiang Talisman, Qatihl’I Target, etc.) are out. HOWEVER, those that showed up in restricted books but could be used for other purposes (Dead to the World, Mole) I'd be willing to listen to.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:14 pm

You did mot forget, you were offline at the time. On that secret mission in Vodacce.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:05 pm

salamanca wrote:You did mot forget, you were offline at the time. On that secret mission in Vodacce.

With Steve.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Just for Kenny, I added some emphasis on the first post about what Backgrounds are.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:50 am

I think I'm up to date with all the backgrounds, but just in case, if anyone hasn't gotten me their background blurb, SEND IT IN!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 pm

From another thread:

Black Jack Rackham wrote: Yup it's that time of year when we are at the low ebb of writing for HoA. So if you're a new player (or an old one who's yet to get your background story in to me), NOW is the time to act. Sit down this weekend and write it all up.

Doesn't have to be long, just a paragraph or two (and certainly no more than a page, I'm looking at you potential writers here), make sure to give me the names of individuals relevant to the background so I can twist them in evil ways :twisted:

Need help? Not really sure where you want to go with the background but have a rough idea? Well write what you've got and we can ask questions to get you started once more!

If anyone out there hasn't already submitted a Background in response to the above announcement in another thread, if you might be interested in an exciting roller-coaster ride and don't mind lots of danger, why not get together with Sister Sonya in her endeavor in Paix, Montaigne, to do some research at the university there? 8-)
Sister Sonya

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:25 am

Translation: He needs redshirts :twisted: :roll:

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:02 am

Well, you heard what happened to his assistant... ;)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:24 pm

If his trip to paix can wait till origins, then francois, he will help. If not, then francois, he will read about it later.
kenderleech

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:07 am

Lady Grace wrote:Translation: He needs redshirts :twisted: :roll:
She... needs redshirts?

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Well, you heard what happened to his assistant... ;)
Actually, we don't. Habeas corpus! Produce the body!

kenderleech wrote:If his trip to paix can wait till origins, then francois, he will help. If not, then francois, he will read about it later.
Her... trip to Paix?

It's likely to cover several PAs. See you in Origins!
Sister Sonya

Postby kenderleech » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:36 pm

yea, her, that. One of those pronoun things.
kenderleech

Postby Angela Valdez » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:20 pm

My friend Brian's character was provided to him with no backgrounds. He started then playing in the game. Now that he has played a few adventures and understands the game a lot better, could he add a background?
Angela Valdez

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:43 pm

OH NO ABSOLUTELY NOT, cause that would be fun! 8-)

I'm kidding of course, by all means add a Background! As far as I'm concerned its the best way for me to make sure this campaign is as much yours as mine.

Have him post it here and we'll get to work!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Backgrounds