Steven's character: Gregor Medev

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Steven's character: Gregor Medev

Postby Steven desJardins » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Who would have expected the old man's back to break so easily?

Gregor was a peasant, unremarkable except for his size and athletic ability. By the time he was sixteen, he was not only the champion wrestler of his own village, he could beat the champions of all the neighboring villages. He got in the habit of keeping order at the local drinking hall simply by picking up anyone who got rowdy and holding them immobile until they settled down.

So when the local boyar condescended to make a rare visit, and pawed one of the serving girls, Gregor acted before he thought: and then, when he realized that laying hands on his lord could not end well, he panicked and gripped him even tighter.

There was a loud crack. The entire hall fell silent. Then some of Gregor's friends hurried him away, while others attended to the fallen lord. Gregor hid in the woods until he heard the news: the boyar was crippled and would never walk again.

There was nowhere in Ussura where he could be safe. Gregor fled his homeland, never to return. He fell in with some travelling performers, and spent three years with them, learning their trade and picking up several languages, before he decided to part ways and take up residence in Altamira.

In Altamira he has found his true home. Gregor loves the city, and often spends his days wandering the streets and poking his nose into tiny alleys, or chatting with merchants or buying drinks for strangers in the local taverns. Earning money has been easy for him, but it flows out as quickly as it comes in. When he finds himself low on cash, he puts on a show, and his enormous size, his skill as a wrestler, and his natural comic timing are always good for a few coins. Or, if that fails, he's happy to head down to the docks and spend a few hours or a day helping to load and unload boats.

What Gregor doesn't know is that the boyar has learned of his new home, and has put a bounty on him. More precisely, a bounty on his legs. The boyar is determined to visit the same punishment on Gregor that he himself endured. Only then, when Gregor is helpless and reduced to despair, will he have Gregor abducted and taken back to Ussura, to face the most horrible tortures his mind can devise and his influence can have carried about by the notoriously corrupt Ussuran judges.
Steven desJardins

Re: Steven's character: Gregor Medev

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Just one question Steven. Is this a Background (that you paid HP FOR) or just background ( explaining why your character is an Altamira)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Steven desJardins » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:15 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:Just one question Steven. Is this a Background (that you paid HP FOR) or just background ( explaining why your character is an Altamira)

Mostly the latter, but as I came up with the character's back story, I realized that it practically demanded I spend an HP to make it official. (Or, possibly, spend XP later on, since it looks like the Personal Agendas tables this year are sold out anyway.) So I wrote it out with that knowledge in mind. I realize that to make it an official Background I have to post more details in the Backgrounds forum. But first I want to finalize my character sheet, and that will probably take a few days, simply because I have other stuff going on.
Steven desJardins

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:17 pm

Well we have some time so if you want to make it official, We can still set something up for the PA. Oh and as for the PA, don't worry about them selling out. Just show up with generics and we'll find a spot for you. (Note that that advice applies to all our games. We set the number of players at 6 but we'll take 8 at the table, AND we always have an extra GM on hand just in case we need to run an extra table.)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Steven desJardins » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Gregor Medev

Traits:
Brawn 3
Finesse 3
Wits 3
Resolve 2
Panache 3

Advantages:
Linguist
Pain Tolerance
Toughness
Large
Keen Senses

Languages:
Ussura (N)
Avalon
Castille (R/W)
Eisen
Vendel

Hubris:
Reckless

Background:
Nemesis 1

Dobrynya Wrestler:
Bear Hug 3
Disarm 2
Fortitude 2
Exploit Weakness 2
+5 on Grappling and Escape knacks
Reduce damage from weather by 1k1

Skills and Knacks:

Athlete
Climbing 2
Footwork 3
Sprinting 2
Throwing 2

Heavy Weapon
Attack (Heavy Weapon) 2
Parry (Heavy Weapon) 2

Knife
Attack (Knife) 1
Parry (Knife) 1

Wrestling
Grapple 3
Break 1
Escape 1
Headbutt 1

Acrobat
Balance 3
Footwork 3
Circus 1

Streetwise
Socializing 3
Street Navigation 3

Guide
Tracking 1
Climbing 2
Street Navigation 3

Notes on math: Start with "Ussaran Wrestler" template. 8HP to raise Wits from 2 to 3. 5 HP for "Large" and 2 HP for "Keen Senses". 1 HP for Literacy (Castille). 1 HP for Background: Nemesis. 2 HP for Knife skill. 2 HP for Guide skill: I take Tracking, Climbing, and Street Navigation as my basic knacks, synergy with Athlete and Streetwise boosts Climbing and Street Navigation to 2. Then 1 HP more to boost Street Navigation to 3. 1 HP to boost Bear Hug from 2 to 3 (discount for Dobrynya school). 1 HP to boost Sprinting from 1 to 2. 1 HP to boost Throwing from 1 to 2. 2 HP to boost Socializing from 1 to 3. 3 HP to buy Circus 1. 15xp to boost Panache from 2 to 3. Total, 30 HP, 15xp, 1 xp left over.

If I had 2xp left over, I would take Specialty: Lip Reading 1 with 3 HP and buy Circus 1 with xp instead. It sounds you're permissive about making retroactive changes to the character sheet after the first adventure, so I'll plan on doing that. (If I were a power gamer, I'd buy Courtier or Spy for 2HP and add Lip Reading with xp, but neither of these skills seems like a good fit with my character, so I'd rather take it as a Specialty instead. And of course, I could just wait to buy Circus, but it's more fundamental to my back story.)
Steven desJardins

Postby Steven desJardins » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:54 am

Played through Episode 1 yesterday at Origins. Got 6xp, but it occurred to me after the fact that I'd already used 4xp from the "retired" adventure to build my character, so I presume it should really count as 2xp. With that, I'll do as I said above: rebuild my character buying Specialty: Lip Reading for 3HP instead of Circus 1, then rebuy Circus 1 with xp, leaving me (again) with 1xp left over.

I also gained 200 guilders, leaving me with 201 guilders, and gained 4 reputation.
Steven desJardins

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:47 am

Dammit Steven! I was sitting right there! Come introduce yourself so I can put a face to a name!
:)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Steven desJardins » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:47 pm

For Episode 6, I gained 6xp, 1 rep, and 1000 guilders. I also earned a contact with Captain Carmella Márquez de Nuñez (confidante, who owes me a favor) and a Background (Obligation) with Nickolaus Wörner. +1 interest with Explorer's Society and Knights of the Rose and Cross. Forgot to list this before, but for Episode 1, I got a Contact (Confidante) with Professor Eduardo Villalobos de Iñez y Lobianco, a month's lodgings at the Queen's Inn courtesy of Don Javier Acosa de Soldano, and +1 interest with the Explorer's Society and with Los Vagos.

With 4 of the xp, I'm going to take Lifting 1 and Throw (Knife) 1. I now have 3xp left over, and 5 reputation.

My silk vest was destroyed, so I'll spend 3g to replace it, and I'll also buy another three knives for 18g, leaving me with 1180g. Most of which I probably spend buying rounds of drinks; Gregor is not good at saving money.

Origins seemed way too short this year, with way too many people to play with, so I thought about going to TotalCon next year, but I have a schedule conflict. I should be at Origins next year, and maybe I'll make it to TotalCon in 2017.
Steven desJardins

Postby salamanca » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:29 pm

Awesome! Glad you had fun. Keep in mind, once you are caught up on adventures, the Domingo gigante sessions are useful to play retired adventures to fill in storyline information.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Steven desJardins » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Updated character:

Gregor Medev

Traits:
Brawn 3
Finesse 3
Wits 3
Resolve 2
Panache 3

Advantages:
Linguist
Pain Tolerance
Toughness
Large
Keen Senses

Languages:
Ussura (N)
Avalon
Castille (R/W)
Eisen
Vendel

Hubris:
Reckless

Background:
Nemesis 1
Obligation (Nickolaus Wörner)

Money: 1171 guilders

Experience: 3xp (after Origins 2015)

Dobrynya Wrestler:
Bear Hug 3
Disarm 2
Fortitude 2
Exploit Weakness 2
+5 on Grappling and Escape knacks
Reduce damage from weather by 1k1

Skills and Knacks:

Athlete
Climbing 2
Footwork 3
Sprinting 2
Throwing 2
Lifting 1

Heavy Weapon
Attack (Heavy Weapon) 2
Parry (Heavy Weapon) 2

Knife
Attack (Knife) 1
Parry (Knife) 1
Throw (Knife) 1

Wrestling
Grapple 3
Break 1
Escape 1
Headbutt 1

Acrobat
Balance 3
Footwork 3
Circus 1

Streetwise
Socializing 3
Street Navigation 3

Guide
Tracking 1
Climbing 2
Street Navigation 3

Specialty
Lip Reading 1

Contacts
Professor Eduardo Villalobos de Iñez y Lobianco (confidante)
Captain Carmella Márquez de Nuñez (confidante, who owes me a favor)

Interest
Explorer's Society 2
Los Vagos 1
Knights of the Rose and Cross 1

Equipment:
Clothes
Silk vest, embroidered with Ussuran designs
Ax (heavy weapon)
Knife (4)
Backpack
Bedroll
Rope (50')
Grappling Hook
Compass
Wooden dice
Jerky (for 1 week)
Chalk
Flint
Torches

Cards
I can make it!
I know right where we are!
Steven desJardins

Postby Steven desJardins » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 pm

After reading through the rulebooks, I've decided to take the option of scrapping the template and re-doing my characters as a 130-point build. The main change is I'm dropping the Dobrynya wrestling school and deferring the purchase of a few advanced knacks, and using the points to build up my stats and add a couple of new advantages: given the length of the campaign, it would be difficult to build up my stats and my Dobrynya knacks and my side skills, so I think this is a quicker path to a character that's both effective and well-rounded.

New build:

80 points: Resolve 4 (with nation bonus), all other attributes 3
3 points: Toughness
3 points: Pain Tolerance
5 points: Large
2 points: Keen Senses
2 points: Firm Grip
5 points: Showmanship
3 points: Combat Reflexes
2 points: Linguist
6 points: Languages (Castille (R/W) 3, Avalon 1, Eisen 1, Vendel 1)
1 point: Background
14 points: Athlete, Wrestling, Knife, Acrobat, Streetwise, Guide, Performer skills
3 points: Specialty: Lip Reading
11 points: Footwork +1, Climbing +1, Attack (Knife) +2, Grapple +2, Sprinting +1, Throwing +1, Balance +2, Tracking +1
-10 points: Arcana: Reckless

total 130 points

24xp (16 from retired episodes, 2 from Episode 1, 6 from episode 6): Bear Hug 1, Head Butt 1, Finesse 4

Changes:

Resolve from 2 to 4
Finesse from 3 to 4
New advantages: Firm Grip, Showmanship, Combat Reflexes
Remove Dobrynya Wrestler school, associated knacks
Remove Heavy Weapon skill, associated knacks
Add Performer skill (all knacks at 1)
Athlete: drop Lifting knack
Knife: Attack from 1 to 3, drop Throw (Knife) knack
Wrestling: Bear Hug from 3 to 1, drop Break, Escape knacks
Acrobat: drop Circus knack
Streetwise: Socializing from 3 to 1, Street Navigation from 3 to 2

Updated character:

Gregor Medev

Traits:
Brawn 3
Finesse 4
Wits 3
Resolve 4
Panache 3

Advantages:
Linguist
Pain Tolerance
Toughness
Large
Keen Senses
Combat Reflexes
Firm Grip
Showmanship

Languages:
Ussura (N)
Avalon
Castille (R/W)
Eisen
Vendel

Hubris:
Reckless

Background:
Nemesis 1

Money: 1171 guilders

Experience: 0xp

Skills and Knacks:

Athlete
Climbing 2
Footwork 3
Sprinting 2
Throwing 2

Knife
Attack (Knife) 3
Parry (Knife) 1

Wrestling
Grapple 3
Bear Hug 1
Head Butt 1

Acrobat
Balance 3
Footwork 3

Performer
Acting 1
Dancing 1
Oratory 1
Singing 1

Streetwise
Socializing 1
Street Navigation 2

Guide
Tracking 1
Stealth 1
Climbing 2
Street Navigation 2

Specialty
Lip Reading 1

Contacts

Interest
Explorer's Society 2
Los Vagos 1
Knights of the Rose and Cross 1

Equipment:
Clothes
Knife
Backpack
Bedroll
Rope (50')
Grappling Hook
Compass
Wooden dice
Jerky (for 1 week)
Chalk
Flint
Torches

Cards
I can make it!
Steven desJardins

Postby Steven desJardins » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:49 pm

After playing through adventures with my 130-point rebuild, I'm almost happy with it, but I want to make one tweak. It just didn't feel right to go after brute squads with a knife instead of my bare fists, so I want to swap out the Knife skill and swap in the Pugilism skill. I had put 4 points into the knife skill (the skill itself, plus 2 points to boost Attack (Knife) to 3); I want to put 6 points into Pugilism (the skill itself, 2 points into Attack (Pugilism), 2 points into Jab), but I had spent one point boosting Footwork from 2 to 3, which I get back by taking Pugilism. So I need to reclaim one more point, which I'll do by dropping Language (Avalon), which doesn't really fit into my backstory.

I played in five adventures this year, getting 7xp from each. (That includes Episode 5, which was retired after I built my character, so I get full xp.) I picked up four cards (Ken didn't have any for Episode 5): I Read About This Once ..., You Killed My Mother, Prepare to Die!, "Where is your Llama?", and I Know Your Secret!. The other gains include:

Episode 7: +150 guilders, +2 reputation, +1 Explorer's Society interest, +1 Invisible College interest
Episode 9: +1 Explorer's Society interest, +1 Invisible College interest, +1 Knights of the Rose and Cross interest, gain Connection: Gabino Colon de Soldano (Confidante who owes a favor)
Episode 10: +4 reputation, epic poem (framed) worth 1 guilder
Episode 8: +50 guilders, +4 reputation, Contact: Alcalde Xavier Maradoña de Rivera
Episode 5: +150 guilders, +4 reputation, +1 Invisible College interest, Connection: Jenario (informant who owes a favor)

I'm too lazy to keep track of money, so I'm going to assume Gregor has frittered much of it away, and has only 600 guilders left.

xp spent: Break 1 (2 points), Grapple 4 (8 points), Circus 1 (2 points), Prestidigitation 1 (2 points), Ear Clap 1 (2 points), Ear Clap 2 (4 points), Lifting 1 (2 points), Swimming 1 (2 points), Long Distance Running 1 (2 points), Leaping 1 (2 points), 7xp remaining

New character sheet:

Gregor Medev

Traits:
Brawn 3
Finesse 4
Wits 3
Resolve 4
Panache 3

Advantages:
Linguist
Pain Tolerance
Toughness
Large
Keen Senses
Combat Reflexes
Firm Grip
Showmanship

Languages:
Ussura (N)
Castille (R/W)
Eisen
Vendel

Hubris:
Reckless

Background:
Nemesis 1

Money: 600 guilders

Experience: 7xp

Skills and Knacks:

Athlete
Climbing 2
Footwork 3
Sprinting 2
Throwing 2
Swimming 1
Leaping 1
Lifting 1
Long Distance Running 1

Pugilism
Attack (Pugilism) 3
Footwork 3
Jab 3
Ear Clap 2

Wrestling
Grapple 4
Bear Hug 1
Head Butt 1
Break 1

Acrobat
Balance 3
Footwork 3
Circus 1

Performer
Acting 1
Dancing 1
Oratory 1
Singing 1
Circus 1
Prestidigitation 1

Streetwise
Socializing 1
Street Navigation 2

Guide
Tracking 1
Stealth 1
Climbing 2
Street Navigation 2

Specialty
Lip Reading 1

Contacts
Jenario (informant who owes a favor)
Alcalde Xavier Maradoña de Rivera
Gabino Colon de Soldano (Confidante who owes a favor)

Interest
Explorer's Society 4
Invisible College 3
Los Vagos 1
Knights of the Rose and Cross 2

Equipment:
Clothes
Knife
Backpack
Bedroll
Rope (50')
Grappling Hook
Compass
Wooden dice
Jerky (for 1 week)
Chalk
Flint
3 Torches
Chain (10')
Padlock
Paper, Pen, Ink
Silk scarves, small balls for juggling

Cards
I can make it!
I Read About This Once ...
You Killed My Mother, Prepare to Die!
"Where is your Llama?"
I Know Your Secret!
Steven desJardins

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:54 am

Knife swapped for Pugilism...I don't know if we can do that...

Just Kidding. No problem. Totally approved.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Steven desJardins » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:27 am

Updates from Origins:

Episode 11: +7 xp, +10 guilder, +1 Explorer's Society interest, +1 Invisible College interest
Episode 12: +7 xp, +3 reputation, +1 Explorer's Society interest, +1 Knights of the Rose and Cross interest, +1 Los Vagos interest, Connection: Capitano Aurelio "il Serpente del Fiume" Ardovini (Information who owes me a favor)
Episode 13: +7 xp, +5 reputation

7xp carried over from last year, 22 xp spent: raised Brawn from 3 to 4, bought Disguise 1; 6xp remaining

Reputation increases from 18 to 26.

Explorer's Society interest increase from 4 to 6, Invisible College interest increases from 3 to 4, Knights of the Rose and Cross interest increases from 2 to 3, Los Vagos interest increases from 1 to 2

Edit: Forgot to add my new cards: A Little Help For My Friends, I Need a Literate Castilian, Stand and Deliver
Steven desJardins

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira