Countdown to OGC 2017

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Countdown to OGC 2017

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:30 pm

OGC kind of snuck up on me, but better late than never. The convention is July 21-23 at the Holiday Inn in Nashua (like last year, so we should be back in the Pirate Ship. Though we may bring some extra lighting this time...)

Plan for our events is as follows
Friday 2pm-6pm
Heroes of Altamira: Flashback (Eps 1, 3, 5)
Heroes of Altamira: Ep 13 - The Madman of Paseo Largo

Friday 8pm-Midnight
Heroes of Altamira: Flashback (Eps 2, 4, 6)
Heroes of Altamira: Ep 14 - A Friend in Need

Saturday 9am-1pm
Heroes of Altamira: Flashback (Eps 1, 3, 5)
Heroes of Altamira: Ep 13 - The Madman of Paseo Largo

Saturday 2pm-6pm
Heroes of Altamira: Flashback (Eps 2, 4, 6)
Heroes of Altamira: Ep 14 - A Friend in Need

Saturday 8pm-Midnight
Heroes of Altamira: Personal Agendas
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Countdown to OGC 2017

Postby Nutmeg_25 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:06 pm

I believe we planned that I would run Friday's games and Saturday's afternoon game. Laura is running Sat AM and the PA. That way she gets caught up for this year's adventures and so do I.
http://nanowrimo.org/widget/MyMonth/megsong23.png
Nutmeg_25

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Just 25 more days until OGC! I have my hotel room and all (still need to send in the cash for David's ticket). Looking forward to seeing all our OGC peeps!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm

<sighs> I had hoped to attend OGC this year. Particularly Saturday for 13, 14 , and the PA.

But, the airfares were higher than for those three years that I attended the Mansfield Con. So, I'll try for 2018. :cry:
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Sorry to hear that Mike :(

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Really getting close now! Just 8 more days!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Just 2 more days until the dice start rolling!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:55 am

TODAY'S THE DAY!!!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Wait until Mark realizes I bumped his calendar up a week.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:51 am

So, nothing worth reporting at OGC?
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:27 pm

You have to wait for his to do list at he to get done. (And his voice to return)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Stunningly enough Dave is right. I got inundated with "ToDo's" when I got home. So I've been dealing with them (if you're curious, microwave blew a fuse, so I had to replace it (that requires taking the oven apart, yes, the microwave and oven are the same thing, then Laura came over to fix her windshield wiper motor, which was its own form of disaster, had to get everything ready for Sunday's game, then vet appointments, children's summer camps, shopping, specialized food for the bearded dragon, etc.)

So, the usual GOOD, BAD, LITTLE OF BOTH review...

GOOD
Enthusiasm - players who show up at OGC are always so enthusiastic. Like they're starving for a taste of a good game and HoA is their oasis.

The Staff
- OGC staff are obsessed, OBSESSED with 7th Sea (1st Ed)* and that means they recruit players for us. We just set up shop and suddenly, one of them shows up with 2-5 players in tow, ordering them to sit and play at our tables. And as a completely unexpected bonus, I was able to run Episode 6 for the first time in years!

The Pirate Ship
- What better way to play 7th Sea than sitting on the deck of an actual ship?

The Traditions - About 4-5 years ago, we started a tradition of going out Saturday night to one of the local Chinese buffets. And every year more folks show up. This year we took up 4 tables (I'd guess in the neighborhood of 30 people). I love getting to just hang out (like we do at Origins). Then there's the crowd that shows up to watch Personal Agendas (which has been growing steadily). It's just the little things that make it so great.

Sharing - This year my oldest, David, came with me. It was his very first overnight con. He got to play a game without me there at all (which he loved and for which he improvised a running gag that the other players kept up even after the game). I got to watch the evolution of a casual gamer into a hard-core one right before my eyes, when he started calculating how he was going to spend his xp on Yves Vincent (his HoA character) and when he calculated the xp he had left to earn (and thus discovered that he will be able to "master the Valroux school AND get a 7 Panache"). After the afternoon game on Saturday (the one with no old man watching over his shoulder) He found me to state emphatically that he wanted to come back next year (and every year afterwards).

The Newbies - as mentioned above, we always get lots at OGC, and they're usually real enthusiastic about coming back. Makes me smile.

The "Ladies Only" Adventure
- One of many highlights of OGC for me. I love it because I have almost nothing to do with it. Lisa (the aforementioned Boss of OGC) collects up a bunch of women she likes gaming with and they all sit down at one of my games to play. They always cut loose in a way that shocks and offends me, and I am grateful they allow me to be a part of it.

Bonus "Ladies Only" Adventure - We discussed some of the more obvious problems (keeping others from buying tickets, dealing with the high numbered events with little knowledge of the NPCs involved, that kind of thing) and we came up with a plan for next year. I will not schedule an event on Friday night, reserving it for them. AND I will bring a 1-Shot for them to play rather than the living campaign adventures. Next Year's adventure? Tangled Strands! I am so looking forward to this!

BAD
Air Conditioning
- not the con's fault of course, but we only ended up playing one game on the Pirate ship this year since it was sweltering in that room. We ended up on the other side of the convention in a room that was so air conditioned, we single-handedly doubled the take home of the only vendor there selling long-sleeve shirts.

My timing - like usual, I had a tendency to run over a bit and that made getting out to get food, get to bed, and head for home, take longer than necessary. (though in my defense, I know that I won't see most of these folks until TotalCon next year, so maybe I just want to hang out a bit longer).

The Drive Home - A full day of running (three events) ending after midnight, and then a 2 hour drive home was a bit tiring, especially considering I hadn't gotten enough sleep the night before. I'm an old man now, and I need my nap time.

LITTLE OF BOTH
Antonio's PA - Had hoped that the realization that I'd written this as a way to strip him down before letting him build himself back up would have been just as cool as the ruination from TC. But unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. Despite that, it still doesn't stop my ultimate end which will be just as surprising/terrible!

Not Staying through until Sunday - I like getting back to the kiddos but I think it still would be fun to have an extra day to play. Although when the youngest are a bit older, David and I should be able to make it the whole weekend.

Michael - We have a player who (for the last 2-3 years) has shown up for the PA (and ONLY the PA). The guy is a phenomenal roleplayer and I really REALLY want him to join for more than just the PA. It just seems he doesn't have the time

*Fun story, the very first time I ever played 7th Sea (and coincidentally the time I met Gary Gygax) Lisa Sussenburger (the boss at OGC) was sitting at the table (well really sitting on the floor) with me.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm

So, that's what I want to see! :D

I'll have to be sure to try to make it next year.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Just a note for you Mike, OGC is between 1/3 and 1/2 the size of TotalCon. BUT Andre Kruppa will be there. He's a GM whose games take hours to set up (fully immersive, props, lighting, etc.) You would be doing yourself a disservice not to go play at least one of his games.

Note he usually does Call of Cthulhu, but lately has been branching out to Star Wars and his own cosmic horror game.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:27 am

Wish I could of made it but I was in Mexico. Again...
cpugs

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:44 am

Well, somebody has to be there.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:51 pm

So what happened to Antonio? Is there another video?

If I didn't have another event I might have come up just for the PA to see this.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:16 am

No video I'm afraid. Not really all that much happened from an event perspective.

It began, interestingly enough, with him deciding to pack up all his clothes (including his Musketeers' Uniform) and put them in a steamer trunk, along with his puzzle sword. And with that, he proceeded to sink them in the river. (NOTE I had nothing to do with this, it was all Antonio's decision).

While sinking his stuff, he met Isidro Alvarado. He'd just recently been released from Montana Corta a couple of weeks back, and gotten himself a job working at the Vodacce Club (the one with all the Courtesans). While there he'd overheard some stuff about "L'Empereur's little pirate daughter" For money he'd be willing to overhear some more.

Antonio then spent the rest of the time trying to see how much money he wanted (Isidro was fishing of course, though the info was legit. He didn't have a number just wanted to see how desperate Antonio was).

Then I told him, I know where Ysabette is, I know what she's doing and I can write it all up. BUT I make no guarantees that you'll like what you find when you get to the end, AND I make no promises that you'll even get to her.

SO you can continue this quest. OR you can walk away. Find some new purpose in life. Go be the Hero you wanted to be.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Events