Gaming and More Gaming!

The place for everything else.

Re: Gaming and More Gaming!

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Got to game with an old friend yesterday. Pippin has since recovered... ;)

"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:42 am

Didn't end up gaming this weekend, instead it was boardgames. Played AssassinCon per Dave's suggestion. LOADS of fun despite the fact that I got the cops called on me EVERY DAMN TIME! Also got in a game of Dead of Winter (I really, really love this game). No dual-shotgun-wielding dogs though, I'm afraid.

BUT

This upcoming weekend is going to be a blast. Fri and Sat I'll be at OGC with David, then Sun its back here for some Tales from the Loop (think The Scooby Doo Gang meets Stranger Things with high tech).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Forgot to add to my to do list, "Report in on our weekly game." So here that is. We played Tales from the Loop, billed as Stranger Things meets ET. I described it to the players as The Goonies plus Scooby Doo but with mad science as opposed to faux supernatural.

There was some pushback, but in the end not only did they enjoy it, but the suggestion was made to continue TftL until the 3-Adventure storyarc was finished. So, we'll be playing it again this weekend! (And they suggested it over, and I kid you not, Ghostbusters!)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:38 pm

So, reading ghostbusters for gaming Sunday, geez is it sexist. Seems every female NPC is there just to be hit on. And as if that wasn't bad enough, one possible PC goal (the thing of central import for your character) is Sex. Yup, you're out to "get some" from any and all NPCs of the correct gender. I know Bill Murrays character was an inveterate horn dog, but come on...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 am

Nobody says that is male specific.

But you are playing a game from the early 80's based on a comedy movie written by SNL, SCTV and National Lampoon vets. Hooking up should be the goal of every character except the one hard science geek ( who should be the target of the same behavior from am NPC).

And you can play to that theme without making it offensive. Just play up the comedic level of failure in the attempts. (Think Kenzer)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:52 pm

You're right, I just wasn't expecting to see it that blatantly (when I forced myself to read F.A.T.A.L. that one time, I was pretty prepared for it's level of awfulness.)

No problem fixing it since we don't have to use the original characters. That's because the one thing this game has to its credit is, character creation. I'd be willing to bet that anyone could make a character in under 5 minutes. No hyperbole, seriously 5 minutes.

Want the rules? here they are. 4 Traits (Brains, Muscle, Moves, Cool) 12 points to allot to them, min 1, max 5. For each Trait, you pick a Talent, can chose from a list or make up your own, should be the thing you're best at with the associated trait. For example for Brains you could choose Archaeology, Mechanical Repair, or Soap Opera Romances. You begin the game with 20 Brownie Points. And finally you pick a personal Goal. Your choices are: Sex, Soulless Science, Fame, Serving Humanity, or Money.

Voila your character is finished.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:44 pm

But I wanted my goal to be souless money.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Sex and servicing humanity seem potentially very much the same
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Good number of games this weekend. Tomorrow is Deadlands at the FLGS, followed by Pathfinder on Sunday. It's gonna be a good weekend ;)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Only one game this weekend, I'll be doing the End of Summer SIZZLER! for TotalCon at their new hotel in Mansfield. Week's been good so far too, I went to King Richard's Faire on Monday (took the kids, beautiful day, wonderful time was had by all).

Now just need to re-write the adventure in 1st Ed (because I think it'll be a heck of a lot more fun that way).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:... I'll be doing the End of Summer SIZZLER! for TotalCon at their new hotel in Mansfield.

So, is Total Con back in Mansfield again? The same one or a different one?
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:37 am

Ok sheesh, just make fun of the old guy and his inability to remember names. It's in Marlborough not Mansfield (which, in my defense both start with "M" and have lots of letters)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:57 am

Could be worse. Could have been Millbury...
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby cpugs » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Or Marblehead, or Milton, or Malden, or Marshfield, or Medford, or Maynard, or Melrose, or Milford, or 6 more starting with M....
cpugs

Postby Lady Grace » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Got to break out the ol' Numa fanbook tonight!

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:42 am

Gaming this weekend is Pathfinder (woo, I don't have to write anything). Next week we'll skip since Megan and I are going up to NH to play Call of Catthulhu. After that we're back to Supernatural (we begin Season II). I've written the first adventure but got stuck on the second. Still have a couple of weeks though so I should be fine.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 am

Gaming was loads of fun this past weekend. Started up Season 2 of Supernatural with a haunting in the Hoosic Tunnel (look it up, great potential).

Then yesterday kiddos asked me to start up the Champions game I planned for david and his classmates (high-school supers). We made characters and just got started. We'll see.

Then last weekend was Call of Catthulhu. Yup you read that right. Cats are aware of the mythos and have to save the idiotic humans. I played a fat lazy cat who managed to not move for an entire adventure.

Almost forgot to add, this upcoming weekend, a nearby town (Uxbridge in case your curious) is having a flea market. So why is this relevant? Because it's an RPG flea market. I am honestly not kidding. So very excited about this. Kids and I are planning to go and see what we can see!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:23 am

No gaming at all this weekend :( Get to hang with the in-laws instead (woo...) But maybe Saturday I can get some writing in (after I finish working on the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man we're building for the kiddo's Halloween party on the 29th).

Next weekend is gaming in NH. We'll be playing PARANOIA! In which I will murde..er..help the troubleshooters of Alpha Complex as they bravely play through Me and My Shadow, Mark IV (One of my very favorite adventures from 1st Ed.). Or maybe they'll just go out for some Bouncy Bubble Beverage, one of those two.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 am

Last week Eric (our GM for this month) was sick so we did boardgames (played a rousing game of The Bloody Inn* followed by Betrayal at the House on the Hill**). This week, he's got food poisoning so more boardgames!

*I thought it was great fun, but other people, who shall remain nameless, had some complaints

** You will NEVER believe who was the betrayer, again, as always... Though I didn't succeed in killing them all this time, just everyone but the last one.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:13 am

So fun-ness, my oldest is now 16. And his birthday fell on gaming day so he made a request for the old man to run something in the vein of Harry Potter. Knowing what I was in for, I did some winging it and came up with a pretty serviceable system using Cortex rules (yes it needs tweaking but hey it was good start).

The group is from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement brought down to New Orleans because of the death of three aurors out in the swamp. That lead them to a voodoo practitioner and a dirty cop trying to extort him.

They still aren't finished so we're going to continue this weekend. But I'd say a good time was had by all. Oh and apparently, at least according to my son and Megan, the resident HP experts. I am a Hufflepuff. I thought it was kind of dorky but then I saw their logo...

Not too shabby.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 pm

I'm designing some one shot characters for a holiday 7th Sea game right now (hence me asking about Avalon accents earlier). The resemblance to one of the characters and Romeo is strictly coincidental... ;)

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Yeah, you are a total Hufflepuff.

Any coincidental characters will be ignored during the holidays. Carry on.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:53 am

Tonight did the Deadlands game at the FLGS. Tomorrow it's back to Harry Potter!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Boy did I mess up the rules set for the HP game. It did just fine while players were searching around for clues, but combat is BAD... Now I want to fix it (even though it was just a one-shot).

Deadlands brought everyone deeper into the mystery of what's going on in Nowhere. They've finally made their way into the factory at the center of it all. Next time, more secrets will be revealed.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Nothing this weekend :( everyone is gone. But next weekend we'll be doing the playtest for Ep. 15. So far I have Megan, Laura, Antonio and whoever he can wrangle into coming. It'll be on New Year's Eve here at my house if anyone's interested.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters