Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby smafdi » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:10 pm

100% yes, Invincible is very good imo. I was current about a year ago? ish? I think....
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Not actually a story I'm reading but some coolness (I think). Taking my collection of my best, most collectible books to my favorite old issue comic dealer tomorrow. They've got a membership with CGC, he's going to tell me what of my issues I should have slabbed (if any).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:07 am

Anyone read any of '68? Supposedly its Zombies in Vietnam. They're cheap to get back issues, just wondered if the story was good enough to bother.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 pm

No, but you have my attention.

As for grading...I get why people do it but I find it a travesty to seal a book up where it cannot be enjoyed. (And halfway through your post I was expecting the ending to be "to trade them for game stuff" not grading).
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Asked around a comic collection group and got half a dozen responses, all of whom had read '68 and recommended it. I picked up the five trades off ebay. I'll let you know, Dave.

As for sealing up the books, that's why I have the trades too. :D

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Still waiting on my trades for '68, but I got something else cool. Brian Azarello and Eduardo Rizzo (of 100 Bullets fame) are back together on a new ongoing series, Moonshine. Prohibition, mobsters, and the supernatural. Picked up the first 6 issues and the trade, so far so good.

Also started reading the Morrison run of Doom Patrol. So far, he's still just doing the weird for weird's sake without any discernible plot reason. Can only slog through about 1 issue before I have to put it down (been using Invincible as my reward).

Also also, at the behest of internet folks, I picked up the Mark Gruenwald run of Squadron Supreme. One of the earliest superhero deconstructionist storylines.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:52 pm

That is the whole point of Morrison's run. There is stuff running in the arcs but not really a grand scale thing. It is meant to hurt your brain and better in single issue pacing.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:47 pm

I'm on a comic book collecting FB page, people post stuff they like, you know that kind of thing. Someone keeps doing various iterations of Storm with the mohawk. I've always hated that look. This is how she's always going to look in my mind.

And just a note for your sanity. Do NOT do a GIS for John Byrne's pictures of Storm. He's done a lot of, lets just say, inappropriate art featuring Ororo.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 am

Couple of updates since I got trades and have been voraciously reading them.
1.Invincible just keeps getting better and better.
2. I Hate Fairyland is a huge disappointment, and I would recommend avoiding it (though the art is very cute)
3. 68 is good if predictable (the art's a little rough, and the stories just what you'd expect, although it is, from what I can determine pretty historically accurate).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm

No spoilers (for the others) but how far have you gotten in invincible?
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:02 pm

smafdi wrote:No spoilers (for the others) but how far have you gotten in invincible?

I've gotten all the way through the 11th trade, which brings me through issue 59 (met and helped The Astounding Wolf-Man).
I'm also reading it to the youngest two, we've just finished up the 4th trade, issue 19 (met and helped Titan, to a bad end).

My very favorite character is, (and I think always will be) Allen.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 am

That is a fair assessment Allen the Alien is the best. I just a little ahead of you. Good or bad news, the last issue comes out next month. So if you like things wrapping up and ending yay? I am just a small amount of hype for this last issue.
smafdi

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 am

Closing in on you Stephen! Just finished vol 13, now onto 14. I gotta say, really digging the Conquest storyline.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm

On advice just snagged the Batman: White Knight books. Haven't cracked em open but the covers are quite nice.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:22 am

Progress continues on Invincible, up to Vol 19.

Couple of new pick ups this week. First up, there is Sub-Mariner: The Depths (think Call of Cthulhu meets the King of Atlantis). Very good (albeit a typical story if one were familiar with Mr. Lovecraft's work), plus all the artwork is painted, very moody.

Then it's Ice-Cream Man, I'll just say, creepy...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 am

Tried out two new books this week, Babyteeth and Seven to Eternity. Both have very interesting premises. Babyteeth is about young woman who has given birth to the antichrist. But interestingly the story isn’t about the antichrist. It’s about her. Seven to Eternity, is just one of those books that you have to read in order to get it.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:09 am

Shifted gears a bit recently. Kelly and I have been watching Gunslinger Girl (one of my all time favorite anime series). That got me to thinking that I hadn't finished the manga and voila, back to reading it. Wow, and I thought the anime was depressing...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:23 am

Snagged a full run of I Kill Giants (which is a movie now btw). Haven't read it yet but heard good things. Also got the first six issues of God Country (also recommended). Need to get the trades to read em.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm

I did NOT cry after reading I Kill Giants. You have no proof.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Action Comics 1000. Lots of good, iconic short stories about Superman on the 80th anniversary of his debut.

Marv Wolfman repurposed some old Curt Swan pages from a different story just so the late artist was represented.

I thought the new Bendis preview was interesting even if it is just another unstoppable alien menace fight.

I thought Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason had the best story in "Never Ending Battle" with a series of pin up pages.

Then i read "The Car" by Geoff John's and Richard Donner with Oliver Copiel providing the art... And I was stunned by the brilliant idea nobody had done before.

Speaking of pin up pages, the handful in this are not all that cool.

Then I read Tom King's story with art by Clay Mann (a great name btw) "Of Tomorrow" it is arguably the best 5 page story I have ever read. And unlike some people in this thread, I will tell you I cried a little bit.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:52 am

One of my favorite writers, Warren Ellis has a new series out called Ignition City (Warren Ellis doing Steampunk, yea, I'm down with that). Picked up the first trade. I'll keep you all appraised.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 am

Got around to picking up the "Get Jiro" graphic novels by Anthony Bourdain recently and I enjoyed the heck outta them (especially since I'm a bit of a glutton/gourmand).
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 15, 2018 8:27 am

Got the God Country trade. My overall take? Good, not great. Interesting but was suckered by the initial story that was nothing more than the setup for a completely different rest of the book. Problem is, I want to know where the initial story would have gone.

Ignition City was likewise disappointing but probably because I've come to expect a whole lot from Warren Ellis. It was good, again, but not great.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Picked up Matt Fraction's run of Hawkeye in trades. Thought the kids might be interested in some of the smaller stories (ended up reading it all myself before I even got to them).

Also found an interesting trade at a comic store I don't usually frequent. Called Dylan Dog. Its an Italian comic about zombies. I'll report back more when I've read through them (grabbed me because they got Mike Mignola to do the cover). Though I have to say I did like the art.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Grills is by far the best supporting character of the last decade.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters