Countdown to Origins 2018

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Re: Countdown to Origins 2018

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Fri May 04, 2018 2:59 pm

The survey was pretty short - only 3-4 questions, and were mostly multiple choice responses. It did let me select more than one issue from the list. The only pseudo-free form text was to answer the "how long did it take you" question.

In fairness, this is the first time I've gotten any kind of request for feedback about the registration process, so hopefully, this is a step in the right direction.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Lady Grace » Tue May 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Last week we opened our event registration portal for Origins 2018 and the system failed, causing many attendees setbacks in building their itinerary for the show.

What happened with event registration is inexcusable and we want to be transparent with what we saw:

Several website plug-ins broke, resulting in a 500 Server Error
Our website was not moved from a shared server, and it crashed
Events were dropped from the portal and had to be added again after registration went live
Our event registration portal was placed on a shared server and was not moved before it went live

Much like our hotel contracts, plans for the registration process are made one year or more in advance. Bottom line is, when we planned our contracts we did not predict the show would see this amount of growth. It has been amazing seeing the number of attendees increase each year at Origins, so we need systems in place to keep up with the growth.

We are committed to providing you with an all-around great experience while keeping cost down for attendees. So, where do we go from here?

Last year we invested in event registration on-site, incorporating more machines and cutting the registration line time to just 22 minutes! We are doing this again, giving you more time to play games and enjoy the show.

Website updates are in the works—server support, website design, and content development. Plans for modifying our registration system are happening based on the comments you shared online and through the survey sent out last week. As a nonprofit organization, we need to be fiscally conscientious of our investments—this means things may take more time, but the outcome will be worth it.

Now for some awesome news, our show co-sponsor, Wizards of the Coast, has added 366 additional tickets to their D&D events! Registration for the additional D&D event tickets will go live this Saturday, May 12, at 5 p.m. EDT. You can find a list of those events at the end of this email.

Our focus is on areas of improvement and creating smart solutions. We want you to know how much we appreciate your support for this show. We love putting on Origins for you every year and we only want it to keep getting better.

We can’t wait to see you in June!
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue May 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Sooooo...we have problems signing up for events we want, still have no club code and as compensation we get to play more D&D?

And they are baffled that numbers are increasing after two years of announcing record attendance?
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm

I think the root cause is much more likely tied to the "as a non-profit organization, we need to be fiscally conscientious of our investments" statement.

All that being said, I will repeat my previous comment - this is the most pro-active response I've seen to the registration issues. While that gives me some degree of hope, I will not be holding my breath for a "smooth sailing" experience.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Tue May 08, 2018 6:56 pm

naw, the onsite team with James Kirk and Vane Turchetta in charge is really up to speed. I expect minimal hassles unless a computer array crashes. (at least once we are in the building)

That said, the year it all went south, nothing printed right and GMs were simply walking into the hall declaring what they were running and letting people sit down and play was one of the best grassroots cons I have ever been at. So maybe I want some disaster.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Still no word about the extra GM tickets/Club Code. But my intention is to wait until next week before calling them (this week last year is when we heard from them).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Thu May 10, 2018 11:24 am

"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Thu May 10, 2018 7:46 pm

That is my friend Scott's webcomic. He is awesome.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Thu May 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Yeah, you got me hooked on it. :)

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 11, 2018 3:23 pm

YOU ALL WANT YOUR CLUB CODE? I KNOW YOU DO! HERE IT IS!!!

Club Coupon Code: B2SdqGma
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Fri May 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Annnnd...how do we add it in if we've already bought our badge?

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 pm

His response about that on the email was, and I quote,

Paul McGraw wrote:If anyone already has a badge in your group, paid for or not, I can fix them for you

I assume that means to contact him....

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Fri May 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:His response about that on the email was, and I quote,

Paul McGraw wrote:If anyone already has a badge in your group, paid for or not, I can fix them for you

I assume that means to contact him....

And how do we contact him?
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 11, 2018 5:17 pm

DOH! Sorry Deb.

events@gama.org

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Fri May 11, 2018 7:47 pm

*sends e-mail & crosses fingers*

Lady Grace

Postby ZombieTonyBlair » Sun May 13, 2018 9:48 pm

I just bought my badge and will be at the LARP on Friday night.

Do I need to let someone know so they can have stuff prepped for Don Gallo or did I miss that deadline when I didn't check the site for half a year?

John
ZombieTonyBlair

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun May 13, 2018 11:32 pm

EDIT: DON GALLO!!!

John,
If you look back in this thread a bit (specifically page 2 about half way down) I give instructions for how to convert Don Gallo into a LARP character so you can do it all by yourself.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 am

Bad form, Mark. You know you are supposed to respond to all posts from John with a specific shout.

Ahem..... "DON GALLO!"

I will pack a file of the old LARP stats so we can do this quicker onsite if needed.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 14, 2018 9:41 am

Ok... I fixed it.

Oh and btw we're under 30 days until Origins!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby daundelyon » Tue May 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Apparently there's another meltdown in progress over GoHs.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby Lady Grace » Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 pm

This time, I'm siding with Origins.

Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 pm

daundelyon wrote:Apparently there's another meltdown in progress over GoHs.

I read "GoHs" as "GoSM" and thought WHAT DID WE DO?!?!

Lady Grace wrote:This time, I'm siding with Origins.

Then read this and thought, "Harsh, LG, throwing me under the bus like that..."

But then I read it a bit more carefully, and remembered the thing about inviting and uninviting a writer. Anyone want to give me the TL;DR version?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Correia was a member of the Sad Puppies jerk squad who were annoyed that SciFi/Fantasy was no longer a Manly Straight White Male market of Manly Straight White Males doing Manly Straight White Things and tried to rig the voting of the Hugo Awards a few years back to stick it to Teh Evul SJWs/women/gays/PoC writers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sad_Puppies

Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm

So we are mad because someone set up an internet campaign to gather votes for a book award? In the 21st Century?

For the "most prestigious award in science fiction and fantasy" that was named after the publisher of a pulp magazine? THAT Hugo Award?

That is like a game winning the Speil...nobody knows what the hell that means outside the industry either.

As long as he didn't try and "bad touch" me or one of you, I don't care if he is there or not.

Folks need to find their thicker skins and start wearing them again if this is a major problem.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Word of warning, Origins is now telling me I have to e-mail Event Ready to apply the discount code... :evil:

Lady Grace

PreviousNext

Return to Events