Post Origins

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Post Origins

Postby Nutmeg_25 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:55 pm

I did not get to join you, so, please let me know what you liked the best!
http://nanowrimo.org/widget/MyMonth/megsong23.png
Nutmeg_25

Re: Post Origins

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:08 pm

TAMALES~!!!!! :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:26 am

Jason admitting ignorance.

Mark proving he is the okayest GM.

$1000 dice.

The generosity of our players. Many took time and effort to help our newer friends build characters and get fully immersed in our game. And another thanks to Charlie, Kenny, Deb, and several others who not only grabbed us a meal while chain d to my table but insisted on picking up the tab. It is always appreciated and I love you all.

Watching 4 groups in a row all decide the best option is to steal Francois' carriage. Without prompting.

Far fewer timelords.

Prospero being shown up.

Seeing the table devolve into laughter and cringes during every session of the PA. And getting that while Ken ran it so I didn't have to work for it.

I ran a lot of fun games but none of the games I played were fun. (Full disclosure: I did not actually play a game this weekend)

But as always, it's the company that makes the con. We are blessed with great friends, and great company and i miss you all.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby MacShidhe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:15 pm

My favorite part of the PA

https://youtu.be/IbY-PCkfMGY?t=9s
MacShidhe

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 pm

What I liked the best...hmmmm….that's a tough call.

I LOVED getting to see folks that I only get to see once a year. To paraphrase one of Dave's comments, the people in this campaign are pretty amazing. I miss you already, and am counting the days till next year.

As to in-game moments - let's see...in no particular order...
    Shooting Carlos in the seat of the pants
    Winding up with a fistful of Carlos' hair
    Having in-character chat/gossip sessions with other players at the LARP
    Ratting out Prospero to Francois
    Francois being treated as a servant by the 85 year old woman that we kind of kidnapped (but not really)
    Mark's chortle when I told him that he sucked at the end of my PA
    My reflexive response to Bogdan stating that he was going to pick up Gabino's swords
    Watching the first hour or so of Megaparanoia (too many instances to list)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby daundelyon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Magic peacock feather.
Shattered church windows. Again.
Playing young Elmira and enjoying an impromptu drinking/philosophy party while chaos ensued inside the mansion. A Background resulted.
Tamales!
Enjoying other characters' company without people trying to kill/confuse/misdirect/generally annoy us.
Managing to keep a straight face when a conversation partner went from charming to jerk (strictly in character) in under a second.
Three out of five players getting themselves arrested during the race, and they still won.
Aiding and abetting a crime against fashion.
Watching people's expressions when they found out about Bogdan's extracurricular activities.
Realizing Annie was the only lady at the table and cringing in unison at what was about to occur.
Coming to the conclusion that I really can't play Santino without forewarning, if then.
Finding out what it takes to get Francois to run.
Wondering how much longer Caitlin is going to tolerate shenanigans before running amok.
Deciding the girls need a shopping trip.
Collecting enthusiastic new players.
Last minute costume change.
Knowing when to keep my hands at my sides.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Oh - almost forgot - best overheard quote was the response to Floki saying that he had an idea on how to wake the sleeping 85 year old woman: "If you hit her with a lightning bolt, I'm hitting you with a rock."
CaitlinCallahan

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:18 pm

daundelyon wrote:Wondering how much longer Caitlin is going to tolerate shenanigans before running amok.

I have a feeling it might not be much longer.....
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm

So I'm back, had a bit of sleep (on and off with people waking me up), and ready to give you my Origins Review.

THE GOOD
Returning Players - lots and Lots and LOTS of returning players. Both from last year and from earlier in the con. We literally had to run 4 tables of DOMINGO GIGANTE! to deal with them all.

Players - Dave and Deb said it earlier. We have just the best group of players. I am so honored that you all go to such efforts just to play with us. Thank you all.

GMs - I cannot say it enough. You all are the best! Whether it be your obsessive need to play one event more than all the rest of us have (or frankly any rational human would want to) or the many offers to sit in and take a table to make sure everyone gets to play, or simply the time and effort (not to mention spoilers) you endure to help make this campaign better. You are so giving of your time, your effort, and your friendship. Thank you too!

Tamales! - Wow what a remembrance of Texas. Those were just what I was hoping for, and that salsa was terrific!

THE BAD
Augustin Alvarado - I have absolutely no recollection of Prospero being "shown up" What I recall is Prospero saving his fellow Castillian theater owner from the gallows by artfully covering up Alvarado's theft by pinning it on Francois.

Time Constraints - There are 12 slots available to run games during the con (Wednesday afternoon and evening, Thurs, Fri, and Sat morning afternoon and evening, and finally late Sunday morning). I ran something in 11 of those slots. Phew. Would have really liked to wander the dealers hall/played a game or two.

Along with that, No KURO! - Not that I could have found the time anyway, but the folks who've been running Kuro for the last couple of years did not come to Origins this year.

Not Staying Longer - I'd really like to catch up and just hang out with all of you. But our moments together are just too fleeting.

My Own Stupidity - I stuffed my badge too far into my backpack one night, then in the morning I didn't notice I didn't have it on until I got to Morrow. So I ran back to grab it and discovered it wasn't in the room. When I got back I did a more exhaustive search and found it. (DOH!)

A BIT OF BOTH
Playtest - I'll be honest, there's a good bit of ego involved with writing this. My writing feels like an extension of myself (or my baby if you will) and hearing that it's not The Best Thing Evar!!!1111!1 can put me on the defensive. BUT as I told the playtesters, I have blind spots and often don't see the problems in the campaign when I am writing. So getting notes on how to improve it ultimately is what I'm asking for (and I certainly wouldn't be doing this if I couldn't handle a bit of criticism).

We ended up discussing how the campaign would end and my concerns about it. And wouldn't you know it? We came up with a new ending that just adjusts the timeline on a few things (and changes the ending of just one thing, which still answers (hopefully) all those pesky questions you've been asking about HoA).

Downside is, the two new adventures we were supposed to premiere next year have been pushed back. And that means I have to get to work writing.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 pm

We are not the best GMs...we are the okayest GMs.

My shirt says so.
salamanca

Postby crimsonjoe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 am

salamanca wrote:We are not the best GMs...we are the okayest GMs.

My shirt says so.

Yeah... but you guys are REALLY Okay.

I had a great time, and kudos to everyone who busted their asses to put together all of the adventures.
crimsonjoe

Postby ExploratorVimes » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Post-Origins thoughts for me, beyond the standard I never want to see another living human being for a week, is that I'm really grateful for how open the whole group is.

I was really uncertain about going to the LARP this year, and even if there was a ton going on that I didn't always get from being on the newer end of things, it was a blast to watch everyone come out for it, and really just get into character. It didn't feel like a LARP so much as an actual party of friends who are all thrilled to be getting together, which is always a great feeling.

Being my second year really playing with you guys has been an interesting experience, doubly so being a Montaigne with Francois' shadow. I'm hoping to be almost all caught up with the stories by Origins next year, so I'm really angling to get up to see people at Total Confusion next year.

Thanks to all the DMs who I had this year, and looking forward to see where this story all goes as I sprint to get out of the retired adventures.
ExploratorVimes

Postby salamanca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:01 pm

I will let you in on a little secret... that was a group of friends having a party.

and now, they are your friends too.

Glad you had a great time.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:09 pm

It really was just 35 friends hanging out, and being goofballs together. And i swear, next time, I don't want 12 of them to have a plot that makes me repeat the same speech over and over. And I try not to cast a shadow. Id really rather provide a way to lift others up.
kenderleech

Postby Lady Grace » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Besides the awesome tamales and the Orange Dress of Hell, I would be remiss in leaving out the epic food from North Market and Hai Poke on High Street. Lan Viet is probably one of my favorite places ever for Vietnamese food and the dumplings at Momo Ghar next stall over were amazing.

And, of course, the wonderfully unhealthy choices at both Jeni's Ice Cream and Destination Donuts.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 pm

mental note for next larp...ALL the players ask Francois the same question,
salamanca

Postby daundelyon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Lady Grace wrote:Besides the awesome tamales and the Orange Dress of Hell, I would be remiss in leaving out the epic food from North Market and Hai Poke on High Street. Lan Viet is probably one of my favorite places ever for Vietnamese food and the dumplings at Momo Ghar next stall over were amazing.

And, of course, the wonderfully unhealthy choices at both Jeni's Ice Cream and Destination Donuts.

Columbus is a surprisingly good food town.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby Eyeheartawk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:03 pm

It was good seeing everybody again. I forget how much fun this is every year. I wish we had more time just to shoot the breeze out of character as I enjoy chatting with everybody so much.
This is what happens when you mess with a stranger in the Alps.
Eyeheartawk

Postby salamanca » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Yeah, about that...

Jeremy spent the whole ride home trying to makee learn things to ruin my ignorant bliss.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:32 pm

Eyeheartawk wrote: I wish we had more time just to shoot the breeze out of character as I enjoy chatting with everybody so much.

Well, as to shooting the breeze, I'd like to have the chance to chat more in character

I apologize for not feeling able to do so more at the LARP, but it takes me more and more time to recover from vacation trips each year. This time it was my yearly visit to Italy, in which I must have walked 5-10 miles each day.

I would like to have something like the LARP at each and every Origins. Lora Antonia (Sister Sonya) would be able to talk about any number of subjects/topics to most anyone and everyone. She can speak most every language, except for Ussuran (and will have to learn that eventually too!).
Sister Sonya

Postby kenderleech » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:42 pm

salamanca wrote:mental note for next larp...ALL the players ask Francois the same question,

The issue was less in repetition, then in the fact that at one point, I had 5!!! people waiting on me. when i was trying to do francois things.... Like ask mark who i was supposed to spy on.
kenderleech

Postby cpugs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:24 pm

My happiest moment for Origins, arriving knowing what was to follow. My saddest moment, leaving, but looking forward again to my best time of the year.
cpugs

Postby spizio » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:54 pm

CaitlinCallahan wrote:Francois being treated as a servant by the 85 year old woman that we kind of kidnapped (but not really)

Is there video of this? Was it as good as that time Mark broke him?
spizio

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 pm

spizio wrote:
CaitlinCallahan wrote:Francois being treated as a servant by the 85 year old woman that we kind of kidnapped (but not really)

No video (that I'm aware of....) ;)

I don't believe I was at the table when Mark broke him, so I can't really say...
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:58 pm

spizio wrote:

Two different Francois' I'm afraid. One is Antonio who is Jean Francois Rois et Riens du Rogne (whom I broke), and the other is Ken who is Francois du Gaulle
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Next

Return to Events