Countdown to Gencon 2018

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Re: Countdown to Gencon 2018

Postby kenderleech » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am

One of those locations is not very far from my house
kenderleech

Postby daundelyon » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Just got a flurry of emails from GenCon. We now have event locations. I added them to the event listing post. But the tl:dr version is, Go to JW Marriott Room 303. Look at Table 1, 2, and 3 (in that order), and you'll eventually find us.

Let's be honest, we're pretty hard to miss most of the time. Subtle we are not.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks to Shane's help, the PA for GenCon is thought out. I just need to put it all on paper. It should be lots of fun. 41 days left!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Right, blame Shane.

I already heard it... Blame Shane.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Watcher487 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 pm

You're Welcome.
Watcher487

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Just a heads up. The Re-Fried Gamers (spiritual successors to the KFG) have their (well really "our") events out for games on Wed ahead of GenCon. If you're interested in playing (and you have a Facebook page) you can sign up HERE and if not you can head over to the GenCon Forums (specifically THIS thread) and let us know what you'd like to play.

Oh and just over 3 weeks until GenCon!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:11 am

15 Days!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:54 pm

10 Days!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby LeonardoFelix » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:21 pm

PSA

If any Vesten/mead enthusiasts are free following the conclusion of the 2p-6p Ep 16 game on Saturday and the 7p PA start, there will be some Mead Hall opening related activities.
LeonardoFelix

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:52 am

LeonardoFelix wrote:PSA

If any Vesten/mead enthusiasts are free following the conclusion of the 2p-6p Ep 16 game on Saturday and the 7p PA start, there will be some Mead Hall opening related activities.

Looking forward to it!

And speaking of looking forward to things. This is really sneaking up on me since I will be leaving (with 5 other brave souls) early Tues morning (less than 4 days from now).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:20 am

In a mere 43 hours we begin our trek!

GenCon begins in 4 days!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm

My vacation has officially begun. My keys are in my assistant managers pocket, my manager groupchat is turned off, and all my employees have the number for my buddy manager. I should only get a call if the store burns down, and that call is ONLY so i know to get marshmallows,
kenderleech

Postby cpugs » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Have fun folks. Mark, the safest of drives, I need to live vicariously through you!
cpugs

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:28 am

So they are off and driving now, since about 3:45 am this morning. Mark just checked in to chat at his kids. Have a fun and safe trip everyone!
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:26 am

Arrived safe last night. Thanks once again to Ken for the ride, free parking, and everything else. Got a full night’s sleep. But this morning has been a bit of a disappointment, since only half the RFG games actually got run (neither was mine unfortunately). So I thought I’d go get badges early, only to discover GM HQ doesn’t open until 5pm. So here I sit.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Well, they were playing your song on the radio this morning.

I can't imagine going to a game con and not playing a game. What is THAT like?
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Is this forum 302?
kenderleech

Postby daundelyon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:34 am

Bruno d'Salango, Ramiro d'Marco, Nino de Amore, and Maile of Innismore just invented cosplay during episode five.
"He used the Force!"
daundelyon

Postby vogelsong » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:50 pm

It was a pleasure meeting everyone this year! I had a blast, and am already looking forward to signing up for more fun next GenCon.
vogelsong

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 pm

vogelsong wrote:It was a pleasure meeting everyone this year! I had a blast, and am already looking forward to signing up for more fun next GenCon.

Wonderful to hear! See you then!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Alright, I have made it home, had some time to rest, been properly chastised regarding all my personal and professional failures and am ready to give my after-con report.

THE GOOD

Running Games - I always have a great time running games, and this year was no exception. Lots of new and returning players made me laugh, tolerated my stale jokes, and buckled some serious swashes! And as a bonus for the first time in a VERY long time, I got to run Episode 1.

Returning Players - I will never forget to mention this! The returning players are really the heart and soul of this campaign. And I am always honored you choose to spend your time, effort, and money on playing in our games. Thank you so much!

The PA - This year was a hum-dinger! Before it even got started Russ Price brought in not one but two different types of mead to celebrate the completion of Altamira's own Meadhall! (it was delicious by the way!) We got our usual gamut of people joining the campaign with the PA (four this year) all of whom showed up Sunday morning to get in "just one more game." Back with our regulars we also got to finish a second ongoing personal Backgrounds. John Bellando got to have Alexi really shine, earning a massive boost to his reputation for an impromptu song that blew both the players and the citizens of Altamira away. And as a bonus got to keep the loser's instrument (interestingly, it came with it's own mystery...). Trent, despite being one of the most recent of our little band, made himself invaluable to several other PCs with his wonderful insight. Sam let himself get pooped on by crows so many many times, and handled it all with good humor. Alexandra was forced to deal with the VonTrapp family and did so while managing to avoid all the song and dance numbers. And so many, many more. To my ears it also sounded like the second group to play the adventure went WAY off script and had themselves a grand old adventure! And to top it all off Ken's trainwreck PA was actually caught on tape!

The Religious Experience - The shower in the Conrad was awesome as usual. I cannot be giddy enough about it.

An Unexpected Honor - While Russ was passing out his delicious mead, he asked me if I will be making the retired adventures available for others to play because, "I'd really love to run this for my home players." As far as I'm concerned there's no better compliment available. Thank you. Oh and if you're wondering about the answer, it's Yes I will. I'm going to clean up the first 12 (now that GenCon/Year 8 is finished) and make them available through the Explorer's Society on DriveThruRPG.

THE BAD

Not Enough Time - In some ways I wish Origins was after GenCon, it always seems far more relaxed, and social. With GenCon its run, run, run until the end. And then it's 10+ months until I see anyone again. It'd sure be nice to be able to spend some downtime with you all.

Saying Goodbye on Sunday - As above, I wish we all lived closer.

Sunday Night at the Conrad - Short story, got some new folks as neighbors Sunday night while we were trying to hit the hay early. They decided to start up a loud laughing party at 1am. Grumble...

My Boo-Boo - Tried to set up plans for all of us to have dinner on the last night, but didn't get the word out to everyone (specifically Ken) and ended up messing it up. My apologies.

SOME OF EACH

Sore Throat - Had been having a sore throat (just one side for some reason) that radiated up into my ear. Was worried it was going to turn into something more, but long about Saturday morning I realized I hadn't even noticed it for at least a day. Yay NO CON CRUD!

The Room - Our gaming room this year was both awesome and horrible. Awesome because it had only three tables, which meant when we ran more than one event, we were the only ones in the room (so we could be as loud as we wanted!). And horrible because A) we were very nearly at the end of a dead-end hallway so there was NO cross traffic, B) the hallway curved in such a way that you had to be most of the way down it to even see the GoSM poster, and C) because of it's layout everyone looking for room 302 (the next room down from us) stopped in to ask if our room was, indeed, 302.

The Ride To and From - It's nice to have a big group that we can confab the whole way, but 5 is really really pushing it. On the way back I litterally could not see out the back window because we had so much stuff. I'm going to have to cap it at 4 (including me) I'm afraid.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Glad to hear everything went well! I made it down there for Sunday afternoon, but pretty much was limited to visiting the dealer hall (and helping break down the game store's booth).

Sounds like the PA was a blast!
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:25 pm

CaitlinCallahan wrote: I made it down there for Sunday afternoon, but pretty much was limited to visiting the dealer hall (and helping break down the game store's booth).

I had a feeling you were going to make it. I was actually in the dealer hall too (helping break down FASA (for Don)). Sorry I missed you. I had a present from Laura for you (but missed giving it to Floyd when I stopped by the booth earlier). It will have to wait until Origins next year I guess.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby daundelyon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:34 pm

I got hit hard by the con crud and had to duck out of work early. Not the best end to an awesome con, but I will survive.
My ability to randomly break into song was rather limited at that point, but it could still happen. :D
"He used the Force!"
daundelyon

Postby SonofScarlet » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 pm

My own personal shout out to our illustrious leader and his troupe of amazing GMs! I started with you all last year, and was just blown away by how welcoming you all were. This year, it was absolutely overwhelming to be in the company of so many talented, wonderful, accepting people. You really made me feel like a part of your community and I feel so honored.

You have all become the highlight of my con, and to think it started with just one random decision to venture down 1e 7th Sea memory lane. Truly, thank you, thank you, thank you for so many great memories to tide me over till Origins next year!
SonofScarlet

Previous

Return to Events