Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

The place for everything else.

Re: Comics Thread (was My OFFICIAL Apology to Dave)

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:51 am

So I saw THIS the other day, and while it had Heroes in Crisis (that book Dave's been talking about here) as a top book, there were a couple that intrigued me, specifically, The Dead Hand and The Immortal Hulk. Picked both up and will let you know what I think.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:25 pm

The Immortal Hulk is very good (or well, the first 5 issues are. Also started Dead Hand. First issue was intriguing until the end. And that's when they hooked me. Another recommendation.

Going about collecting the Claremont/Sienkiewicz run of The New Mutants (because I missed out back in the day).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Finished Dead Hand. A bit too "polly-anna-ish" ending for me, but great up to that point. The Immortal Hulk continues to be real good.
Oh and for more way-back adventures, I picked up John Byrne's full run of West Coast Avengers. I've heard from folks it's pretty good. So far for me, though, at least, it's meh.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 pm

Ok, speculators are going nuts for Immortal Hulk #2. If you have the early run, flip it now and cash in.

In a couple years, I doubt anybody will remember this one as a key book.

And if you love the Netflix Daredevil go try the new run (issue two just released). It's another run Daredevil through the wringer, gritty, mean streets of NYC arc from Chip Zdarsky (who my flcs guy keeps referring to as "a really good humor writer".

Spoiler: this is not a humor book. It's grim, morality of vigilante justice, Catholic guilt Matt Murdock addicted to justice.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Curse you Dave and your suggestions. I just picked up DD (one of my faves). Though I am currently re-reading The Umbrella Academy (after having binged the series on Netflix).

As for the Immortal Hulk, I have all of them from earlier so no worries there (though I don't sell my books).

Picked up some cool trades the other day, Farmhand and the Tom King run of Mr. Miracle. Oh and fresh off reading Spider-Man NOIR I heard they did another in that style, Wolverine NOIR. Probably stinks but we'll see.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:03 pm

I want a podcast of Nick Cage reading Spiderman: Noir.

And now, so do you.

When you get done binging Umbrella Academy, try the Gerard Way Doom Patrol run. He took that insane Morrison run and continued it with an actual plot hiding in the madness.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:24 pm

Well I am, on and off, watching the Doom Patrol show on DC Universe.

Speaking of, just finished Ep 13 of Young Justice Season 3. In it (for reasons that aren't necessary for my story) Beast Boy goes unconscious and starts remembering his life. So they get to the part about the Doom Patrol, and to visualize it in the show they create Doom Patrol GO! (sing it with me)

D-O-O-M P-A-T-R-O-L, DOOM PATROL! LETS GO!

And to voice the Doom Patrol they get the Teen Titans GO! cast. Original Beast Boy is (of course) Beast Boy. Chief is Robin's voice, Elasti-Girl/Rita is Starfire's voice, Robot Man is Cyborg's voice, and Negative Man (now Negative Woman) is Raven's voice.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:48 pm

salamanca wrote:I want a podcast of Nick Cage reading Spiderman: Noir.

And now, so do you.

Actually that was one of the weak points of Spiderman: Into the Spider Verse for me. SM Noir isn't funny. He doesn't play it for laughs. He's just like the name implies, NOIR, dark and gritty. But Nick Cage makes jokes (I can only see in Black and White, the rubix cube, etc.) SO not spiderman noir.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:11 am

Every once in a while someone shows me a comic that I somehow missed back in the day. This week it's a little indie comic called Star*Reach. Apparently back in the mid to late 70's they got some relatively unknowns to do some creator-owned stories for this book. Who were the unknowns, you ask? Howard Chaykin, Jim Starlin, Walt Simonson, P. Craig Russel, Barry Windsor-Smith, Frank Brunner, and the list goes on and on. SHEESH how did I miss this?!?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:18 pm

Because it was an indie book full of people we hadn't heard of yet.

Come to think of it, I think the local shop owned by the kooky old guy that isn't into comics had a copy hanging on the wall for about 15 years. I will check next time I see him open. (At 84, he doesn't keep normal hours anymore. Makes his regular pull customers insane)
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:09 pm

Detective Comics #1000 is on the shelves with at least 14 covers to choose from (and at $9.99 I do recommend choosing)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:24 pm

I got the Jim Lee one and the Sterenko one (cause, come on, Sterenko!)

Also picked up the trades for Deadly Class. Been hearing good stuff from folks about the tv show, and while I have all the issues I think I've been remiss in reading. Also picked up the full run of Batman: Streets of Gotham. Art looked cool and I got a great price.

Btw Dave if you happen to be at your FLGS and see a copy of Darkhawk 1 real cheap (say 50 cents or so) let me know. I am sick to death of the Darkhawk memes and I want to send a copy through our paper shredder and get it on video.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Darkhawk #1 will see what I can do.

The FLGS just got a couple cashing in a collection that was mostly trashed but lucked into a stack of key books.

(Several first appearances and whatnot )
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:57 pm

DAVE!!!
Grant Morrison snuck back into my life! I started watching the Doom Patrol on DC Universe and it turns out they're stealing some of Morrison's run. Hell, Mr. Nobody (played by Alan Tudyk) even mentions Morrison by name! He and the Chief are having a little tet-a-tet while Mr. Nobody is breaking the fourth wall. Chief asks him who he's talking to and he says...

Mr. Nobody said, not wrote:"Grant Morrison fans, Reddit trolls with DC subscriptions, and the three new fans who stuck around after the donkey fart."

I gotta say though, having someone iron out the kinks in Morrison's stuff is making it surreal but entertaining.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:43 am

You are one of the 3 fans mentioned at the end.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Now down to just 2. However I might have accidentally got Jenny interested. I don't know if anyone's seen the opening credits for Doom Patrol, but they're quite good. Here's the LINK in case you're curious.

Now onto books. PIcked up a couple of trades that were pretty good. Scarlet Witch (2015) limited series has her crossing the globe looking for someone messing with dark sorcery. Interesting as it mentions the idea that sorcerers in Marvel Comics must "pay back" their use of sorcery (which is the plot of the current run of Dr. Strange). So magic is slowly killing SW. So far so good.

Speaking of the sorcerer supreme. Dr. Strange by Mark Waid (always a good writer). Haven't gotten more than a couple pages into this yet (got stuck on SW) but like the idea that Strange has been putting off his payback and now they're calling in the markers.

Back to the NOIR line, finished up Wolverine NOIR. Ok, not terrific but not bad. And now I learn there are also X-Men NOIR and Daredevil NOIR. Sheesh...

Batman: White Knight. Best. Batman. Story. of the DECADE! Didn't guess the twist and had me glued to my seat read it straight through. Get it, love it.

Ice Cream Man. Picked up the first two trades. It's weird, I mean REALLY weird. Don't know where they're going with it, but it's compelling. Kind of an anthology thing. Only the Ice Cream Man holds it together since he's in every episode.

Finally, Magic Order. I'm always iffy about Mark Millar. Sometimes he does real good, other times I don't know what they hell he's doing. But this time it turned out well. Plot is an oft-used trope. Family of secret sorcerers quietly protects all of us muggles er... NON magic using folks from beasties big and small. Then someone comes gunning for the family...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 14, 2019 10:53 am

At the recommendation of my Comic Book Guy (who is, in point of fact, a woman) I have picked up the first Descender TPB. Grabbed me right away. Giant Aliens (think "The Celestials" from Marvel Comics) show up and wipe out all life on Earth. (At this point, it's unknown if they did it purposefully or if we just got in their way somehow). Now five years later we pick up the story with a small robot boy who's now alone on a distant moon and must somehow survive...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Comic Book Store just informed me of Batman: Last Knight on Earth today. No reviews as I don't even have the book yet but its another Snyder/Capullo collaboration (using the Black Label no less). (for my money I like Snyder better than King, he's just more consistent).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Wed May 29, 2019 3:41 pm

It's that oversized format like Batman Damned. Rumor is hopping about a named Harley or something.

Can we just go back to comics being comics? We can do adult themes without naked cartoons. If it added something, I guess it would be fine but it never does.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Wed May 29, 2019 7:25 pm

"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:32 am

Finally got around to reading Farmhand. Wow. A definite must-pick-up. Rob Guillory has a penchant for telling little stories that are as compelling as the big story (he did it back on Chew). You never know who's on what side (or even really what the sides are).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:13 am

In a more cut and dried classic format, Matt Fraction is writing the new Jimmy Olsen Book. Each issue is broken down into mini chapters designed to look like the back up tales from books of the 50's and 60's.

Jimmy has shifted from just photographer to internet content provider for the Daily Planet. This has two interesting plot effects

1) his stunts have driven the Planet's insurance coverage through the roof.

2)despite that expense he is still the only facet of the paper earning a profit.

So for safety of the company, they send him to Gotham.

Also of note:
Fantastic Four #12 is a fight between Thing and Hulk (and those are always fun) during Been Grimm's honeymoon. WITH A FUTURE FOUNDATION BACKUP STORY leading to their new series. (Hint Julie Power is back)

And DC rolled out a Legion of Superheroes 2 issue series called Millennium. It is following an immortal character from the near future until the time of the legion while visiting every possible DC future on the way.

The Legion book sucks. SorryMr. Bendis, but there are at least 15 actual undying characters you could have used but instead you added the power to a character with no reason to be long lived.

Then you have this character pop into each future for a couple of pages where nothing develops for the character or your story. And you are getting them out of logical sequence.

To make it worse, there are previews of Ryan Sook's new legion designs. His art is never great and character design sketches are always clunky but these are abominable. (Except the ones where he didn't change anything like lightning lad)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Three new books I read this week (older series just got the trades).

First up, a Mark Waid Avengers story (set to take place between Avengers 16 and 17.) In it Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, and Giant Man retire from active duty leaving Cap to bring Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye up to speed.

It wasn't awe inspiring, but it certainly brims with nostalgia. Waid did a great job getting the feel of the old books. I recommend it for that alone.

The second one was Daughters of the Dragon (The 2016 book not the 2006 book as it turns out). I didn't even know they'd put out books about it but here it is. Misty Knight and Colleen Wing have split (Misty is working for the FBI, and Colleen is out in CA) but they manage to get mixed up in some stuff involving an ex-Hydra Assassin. Fun twist is (SPOILER) they don't kill the guy, but help him recover instead. Good, not great especially when we have them dealing with bad guys like they have superpowers instead of just being highly skilled. But fun nevertheless.

Lastly Pestilence, an Aftershock print that came about because the writer and artist wanted to make a video game and got roped into this instead. Good premise (The Black Plague in Europe was actually a Zombie infestation) BUT the artist is DESPERATE to draw boobies. I mean EVERYWHERE. And worse, I don't think this moron has actually ever seen a real one. Cause he draws them like they're balloons. I couldn't find the most egregious example online.

EDIT:
I had linked to a page for this book, but reading this, I now realize that was a mistake. If you want to see it's art you can google it for yourself. It was all kinds of inappropriate. If anyone saw it before I removed it, I apologize. (ps Thanks Sam).

So far story's ok, but the incessant zombie boob is really getting on my nerves.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:49 pm

Ok finished Pestilence, and I can add, "not a real ending" to my list of complaints. Which wouldn't really be a criticism if the book continued but IT DID NOT.

Onto better news, Fantastic Four (the Dan Slott plotted reboot from 2018). Good fun. Solid writing. I give it a "B" so far.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:21 pm

Picked up the New Mutants one shot by Claremont and Sienkiewicz today (Yes you read that right). Plan is to read it tonight. But I was all in when they mentioned the one shot, so I may be a bit biased.

Also picked up the second trade for Farmhand. ooh just as good. Super creepy.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters