Possible Bad News about TotalCon 2020

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Possible Bad News about TotalCon 2020

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 29, 2019 2:36 pm

So, I'd guess almost none of you would know this (unless you happened onto one of the many threads on rpg.net), but Bill Webb of Frog God Games is a serial sexual harasser. He admitted as much in his response to one of his victims' accusations (you can read about it HERE).

For our purposes, what's relevant is, he was also a GoH at TotalCon this past year. Several of our players (past and present) mentioned it to me, and while I was empathetic, I dropped the ball. It wasn't until I read a thread from the victim herself (in which she made a salient point about what allies can do) that I realized how badly I'd handled this.

SO, onto the (potential) bad news. Before HoA will run any games at TC next year (or ever in the future) I will be making sure that Mr. Webb is not invited. If he is, we will take our games elsewhere. (and in truth, should he be invited next year I will have my answer about how they intend to handle this and will probably not be returning even after he leaves).

Oh one last thing. It may appear from my one link that Mr. Webb just had one isolated incident. That is far from the case, google him and you'll see this has been a problem for years and no one seems to want to do anything about it. (similar to Mr. Mentzer, whom TC did disinvite).

But the good news is, should that be the case, we'll be going whole hog into OGC, and just move all our operations up there instead.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Possible Bad News about TotalCon 2020

Postby salamanca » Wed May 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Yeah, Guest of Honor status is an issue here. His information was well out in the public eye long before TotalCon this year.

That said, I have a different opinion of allowing the guy to show up as a vendor or attendee. IF, AND I DO MEAN IF, he has never caused a problem or had complaints filed against him AT a particular Con, I am ok with him being there as a regular participant.

I have been on the victim end of this sort of thing and I still am against lifetime bans to all events for the perpetrators. They have a right to learn from their mistakes. They have a right to attend events where they have behaved (as long as they continue do be good citizens)

But they don't deserve Guest Status.
And their victims need to be free to enjoy thier con without having to deal with them.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 pm

Have to say I mostly agree with Sal. Guest status is neither here nor there for me. If there is an incident on sight I have confidence in the staff/hotel/law enforcement coming together to police the situation.

If it is a change that you feel you need to make it will drop me from the campaign. I have a standing commitment on the third Saturday in July which is when OGC is usually held. Due to this I can not attend there. Have never been to either of the big cons and doubt that I ever will attend them.
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:40 pm

Well I got word back from TotalCon and they will be inviting Bill back this year. I am real sorry to hear this as I always look forward to it. However that does mean I can go to another, closer, con this year. One I had been disappointed I might miss as this will be its first year out there. So let me introduce you to Rising Phoenix Game Con. I'll only be able to do the first two days of it (since we are taking the kiddos to Disney for the April break). But we'll be able to premiere all our events there. Hopefully this will work out for Scott.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:39 am

Unfortunately, that location doesn't appear to be any more user friendly to Boston Commuter Rail than the new Total Con's location. Mansfield, at least, was doable.
Sister Sonya

Postby Christine13 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:09 pm

i am planning on going to rising con. I can play there if you guys go there
Christine13

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:59 pm

That's the plan Cristine!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Events